Is Arjuna Disease universal ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 23, 2007.

1. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Dear Chittu manni,

I liked this post a lot.. However I would like to believe that Lord Krishna didnot provide advice to Arjuna right then, not because he was not approached, but because the lord wanted to give Arjuna some time to settle and regain his composure.. I find this attitude in my parents, they wait for me to finish the cribbing and have the emotional pour down complete, because they know that as long as I am highly emotional, I won't put my head to find the logic in the points they are trying to empasise.. I strongly believe that God is like our parents and is waiting to console us and put us on the right track even if we are not asking him.. The issue we have as humans is that we should be able to see and hear HIM.. In reality, I feel that all the experiences he provides to us in life is an advice on how to get wiser.. I love the line "Thaai maravaal ilam sei marandhaalum" in the the "Parvathi nayaganae" song, which means that mother never forgets even if the child forgets and it is very very true for any mom and the lord himself!! Just my positive approach to this awesome thread..

Love,
    Gayu

2. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

As usual, an excellent write up on the first chapter. Starting of with the place Krishna stopped the chariot until his state of mind - it really feels good to relive it with you.

I really like your interpretation of Krishna not advicing until Arjuna asks for. How very true that the value of the advice is lost if given to a person who is not ready to receive it. But, how very difficult it is to not give a piece of our mind( could be two cents or a million dollar ) - a real food for thought.

I have a small request - can you please make it a little more detailed? Concepts like crisis management are still memorable due to the examples you have provided. You are already doing a lot and I thank you profoundly for that. Please ignore the request if it is too much.

Looking forward to Chapter 2..!

-Gayathri

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayu,
    Excellent feedback !
    I feel ticklish, being addressed Manni - that is because, I am the youngest in V's family. So nobody calls me manni.
    Nee ennodu asaiyai theerthu vachutte, Gayu !
    You are right. When we are tense & emotional, our mood is not ready to listen to advice. We must settle down emotionally & only then we will be receptive to listen to advice.
    I love the song Parvathi Nayagane !
    I appreciate your positive approach. That is a blessing, I think.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    Both Gayathris, you & Gayu, have Sarasvathi's blessings, in expression !
    Even if it is real food for thought, (in our thinking), I think we should restrain ourselves, before giving advice. Unless asked for, I never give advice, on principle. May be because, I am sensitive by nature & do no want to get hurt in the process.
    I can write a little more detailed; but I do not want to sound like a preacher or Upanyasaka, both of which I am far from, in real life !
    Infact, I was planning to post Pancakosas yesterday. On second thoughts, I am elaborating it a little more. So I plan to post it only next week.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Many thanks C. Hope it is not too much of a trouble. I am sure you wouldn't sound like a preacher. Just would like to see more of your interpretations and examples.

-Gayathri.

6. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dearest Chith,

I loved this Gita post best so far. The reason I believe is because we are able to identify ourselves with Arjuna in terms of confusion/delusion/attachment etc. And how Lord Krishna by example tells us that one should not advise unless somebody asks for it. We see so many instances in life where we approach somebody to give them advice with all good intentions but end up getting rebuked.

There is a small typo I think.. Should it be Humanity is marked by Roga instead of Raga?

Love
    Vidya

7. Chitvish

Dear Vidya,
    Thanks for your F b.
    Not occasionally, but very often we are in Arjuna's sate ! We are permanently indecisive, disillusioned, have less guts to "go ahead" etc !
    It is, raga meaning attachment & not roga meaning disease.
    Attachment is out eternal affliction - we can't get away from it, at any stage of life !
    Refrain from giving advice - we ar more at peace with ourselves. I learnt this by experience !
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dearest Chith,

Oh! I did not know Raga meant attachment. Sorry!!!

Love
    Vidya

9. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear ChitVish,

It is a great write-up that you have given from Bhagawat Gita. I am reminded of a bhajan song which our Guruji had composed and used to sing. It is given here although not fully as I forgot the remaining part.

கண்ணன் சொன்னதென்ன கீதையிலே
    அதை கருத்தில் கொள்வாய் உந்தன் வாழ்க்கையிலே
    அண்ணன் தம்பி சுற்றம் எனபதெல்லாம் நம்
    அறிவை குழப்ப வரும் மாயை அன்றோ

Regards,

TDU

10. Chitvish

Dear TDU,
    Thanks for joining us in this thread.
    I really wish we are mature & practical enough to accept, what you have quoted from Sri Haridas Guruji's words.
    Knowingly, we get entangled is Samsara suzhal !
    Thanks for your nice words.
    Regards,
    Chithra.