1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is applying oil necessary?

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by ktg, Jan 14, 2008.

1. ktg

ktg Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am having short hair only, but dont like applying oil to my hair, as I look dull as day pass by.

Is it necessary to apply oil? Is there any other ways to avoid it, but keeping the hair healthy?

Please help.
    Thanks in advance.

2. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

I never use oil on a daily basis for the past 10 yrs but do have a oil application or sometimes oil massage before I have a hair wash...

I have been doing this for my 3 yr old too..

Its my belief that our hair is what we eat ....

3. ktg

ktg Senior IL'ite

Txs Shravanthika

But my hair is getting damaged. Ver thin hair. Not healthy. More hair falls.

Thats why I am really worried about.

Please gimme some tips to maintain my hair healthy. Can I go for herbal oil massage during my weekends?

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear KTG,
    I have already posted abt the hot oil treatement that you an do at home.Anyway for the benefit of many, i post it agin for you n others.

For Weak, brittle/thin hair:

Heat olive oil/almond oil/regular coconut oil -of your choice.Heat must be borne by ur hands.Dip a cotton int o the oil.Segregrate ur hair strands into parts.Apply the cotton dipped in oil gently.Do not give a harsh massage as the roots are already weak.
    Make sure the oil is fully spread on the entire scalp and the hair strands.Leave it on for 10 mins.
    Go for a bath with regular shampoo/soapnut powder whatever you use.

One another method:

Its called the hotwater -towel wrap.

Do the oil application as said above, then fill a bucket with warm water.dip a towel in it and squeeze it a little bit. Warmth must be retained in the towel.Tie it like a turban and leave on till you feel the warmth has gone.Repeat it for 4 to 5 times and then do a regular wash.

Hope this helps.Do take sprouts in ur diet.

5. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Ktg,
    i was also thinking to post abt the hot oil treatment and Aishu indeed posted a detailed info....

I too have thin hair...but oil application daily accumulates more dirt and so I stopped yrs back....

I used to do the hot oil massage as explained by aishu and I would add castor oil and almond/olive/coconut/gingely and also would go for a protien pack after oil massage.

Whole moong dhal powder,curd and fenugreek powder---mix all apply thoroughly on the scalp and hair strands...may be wait for 0-15 mins and then wash off with a mild shampoo.

But if you have sinus...pls stay away from the pack and castor oil...as they both cool the body so very dramatically.

i had been doing all this until before a few yrs regularly but now I'm not that patient and I have become lazy.

This really worked out for me and my hair was healthy and glowing though not dense.

Also including protein rich foods and eating fenugreek daily improves your hair's health.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  6. ktg

ktg Senior IL'ite

Thank you Aishu & Shravanthika, I will do as you have said & let me see the improvements...

7. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Is it true that if we apply oil before head bath we shall get white hairs??

8. shine82

shine82 New IL'ite

Hi

Applying oil on hair is good for, and to some extent necessary to keep the hair healthy and for good growth.

You dont need to keep the oil whole day and while going out (never, imagine that sticky hair and face too), so just apply hair oil, leave it for 1 hour or so and wash it ! Its AS SIMPLE AS THAT !

9. jaanu_2721

jaanu_2721 Bronze IL'ite

apply oil 1hr. b4 u do head bath it smore than enough..

10. gauridatta

gauridatta New IL'ite

Dear ktg
    Applying oil is indeed the most important thing for the health of hairs.
    All u can do is apply hot oil (hot that can be tolerated) take a hot towel treatment in the night before sleeping and wash thoroughly the next morning. the night is the most appropriate time for hairs to soak the oil
    luv gauri