1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is Anyone Going Through Depression?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ShabnamF, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

i have my phases when I am depressed, so can understand how you feel, same things what you are going through, mood swings, low confidence etc... some things which help me, .

1. Read life experiences in quora . Don't be fooled by Facebook. Darkness is there in some measure in everyone's lives . Some more, some less.

2. Read about near death experience accounts. They all say how they felt unconditionally loved and belonged in afterlife and how we are never alone, our guardian angels are always with us . Now when I am sad about things in my life, I always come back to thinking that anyways in the end , I will go to where I truly belong.

3.read biographies and memoirs of people who were underdogs and went on to achieve something .

4. Sometimes to escape reality, i Fantasize about retreating to a monastic life in some mountain. I visualise every small thing in detail. It's highly unlikely I will do this, but this somehow cools and calms me when I am in an angry bitter mood. Just visualise escaping your life to a calm peaceful life.

kavya007 likes this.
  2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Hugs @ShabnamF

I underwent post-partum depression without even realising it. I can kind of relate.
    DH had GAD too , and like most layperson it was hard for me to understand him. It was hurting to hear him say things like "I just cant feel " even when something happy things happens. It was sometimes like a wall around his heart, that shielded /imprisoned him. It was a little tough but we made it through. It was a stage when I had to learn to accept myself - I wasnt good all the time I wasnt noble all the time , and most importantly I wasnt perfect all the time and it was ok. Painful as the period was, it has made me a better person - I am not so judgemental now. Kinda understand "to walk a mile in someone else's shoes" - not easy.

Much later I stumbled across this author's post and I could sort of understand what DH felt - the fog, the numbness, the lack of motivation, his struggles and I really wished I had been more understanding.
    Allie Broshis such a wonderful humorous writer, her posts were part of DS and my bedtime reading. How we howled with laughter at her antics. It is hard to even imagine the bubbly enthusiastic curious kid struggling with depression. It is said she expressed it best in the below posts. I might help you to know that you are not alone.
    Hyperbole and a Half: Adventures in Depression
    Hyperbole and a Half: Depression Part Two

For lighter reading do read her posts . Our favs were The Alot and The God of Cake. She's a roit !

sindmani and BhumiBabe like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shabnam - Cognitive Behavior Therapy conducted by a trained therapist(couseling and CBT go hand in hand) along with drugs is what parents are talking about for depression in their teens/young adult children. I got to a CBT trained psychologist for my son and she tells me it helps adults too. She doesn't do CBT on my son but biofeedback which also supposedly helps but apparently the CBT helps stave off the negative thoughts and see some positivity.
    Along with that, aerobic exercises is what she suggests for adults. People on the ASD spectrum are prone to anxiety and depression and apparently aerobic exercises and CBT along with medications helps a lot. Swimming, biking, running, hiking are all considered good.

Keep trying various things. Something is bound to help along with the meds. You do need to find a good counselor and start a regular visit schedule with her. You also need to change that person if it isn't a good fit and if you aren't getting much out of the session.

With regard to friends, the awareness is just not there. They don't understand that depression isn't something that you can control. You are doing everything for your daily life despite your depression and that itself is a Herculean task. Try and find the therapist for guidance.
    Reg families, most aren't aware of mental health issues. They probably have no clue how to support you. If your family is willing they need some counseling too to help them help you. Your therapist maybe able to recommend someone for that too.

Take care. If you ever need to talk and have nobody to hear you l out, just post on the forums. That itself should make you feel less burdened.

sindmani and Shanvy like this.
  4. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

I am working on identifying the trigger. I have seen a Clinical Psychologist yesterday, it didn't go too well. I was too anxious to talk anything, I almost ran out of the session. I only stayed because I didn't want to offend the Psychologist. But I think I made a beginning, I will see her again next week. In the mean while she has given me some stuff to do to help me with my anxiety.

madras2018, Laks09 and Shanvy like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Good. A small step is the beginning. You can.

sindmani and ShabnamF like this.
  6. Excelsior

Excelsior New IL'ite

Hi Shabnam....... Hope you are doing good....Hugs dear

sindmani likes this.
  7. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Hi Excelsior,
    I am doing good. Thank you n hugs back to you.

satchitananda and sindmani like this.
  8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Op, happy that you are happy now. Keep up this happiness with being busy , doing things u like every day.