1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

is 9 month DD getting enough food

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by jhalli27, Aug 20, 2010.

1. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

DD completed her 9th month. Dr advised to start her on home food of our taste slowly - such that she should be completely on homefood by 1st birthday. also, cerelac should be stopped by 1st yr. is this logic fine??

also, of late i realized DD doesnt seem to eat too much. or maybe i dunno how much is too much. her routime is:

1. between 5-6 am: 5-6 oz - formula milk
    2. around 8.30-9 am: quarter idly with ghee and sugar (mil feeds as im going to work)
    3. around 10.30 am: 6oz normal pasturized milk before 1 hr nap
    4. around 1 pm: dal-rice-ghee-1 veg lunch - about 3 table spns - max 5 tablespn before afternoon nap of 2 hrs
    5 . around 4 pm: 5-6oz normal pasturized milk
    6. around 5.30 pm: marie biscuit or 1 very small serving of fruit or 1 slice cheese
    7. around 8 pm: have to force her to eat something: usually roti or rice again - but she is not interested at all. max has 1 inch diameter of roti or 2 table spoons rice.
    8. around 9-9.30 pm: 3 oz (if she had solid) or 6 oz (if no solids) of normal pasturized milk before sleeping
    9. around 2 am: 5-6 oz of formula milk.

DD suddenly does not want cereals atall... she dislikes anything sweet now! prefers salty foods... also i noticed, at any meal time - she is ready to have milk n number of times. i feel she is lazy to eat and finds easier to drink milk from bottle. pls help me understand if DD is eating enough...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010

2. nishaganesh

nishaganesh New IL'ite

Hi Momy

My neighbour has an 8m DD but the LO is not very keen on FM/pasteurized or semi solids....the doc told the momy to feed her semi when she is really hungry and not milk.That worked a bit.

I agree with the doc too that she has to start having whatever we have like veggies out of the sambar and all...I guess you shud just keep giving her and not give up on the semi though she prefers milk.Does pasteurized milk take more time to digest....I dont know..just asking...since she has it at 4pm then a slice of cheese at 5.30...cheese takes time to digest I have read...

Each bb is different also.

I think you are pretty fine dear.Dont worry too much if her weight gain is okay and she is active,playing and happy..

Take care.
    nisha

3. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Jhalli
    I would suggest the following routine

Between 5-6 am milk
    7.30 am breakfast
    10 am milk
    1pm lunch
    4.30 milk and snack (give together)
    7.30-8 dinner
    After that give her milk before bedtime and whenever she wants at night

This way there is ample time between her milk and her meals to make her feel hungry again. Also I feel quantity of milk you are giving is more and her meal portions are very small. Quarter idli and 2 tbsp of rice is very less, try to give atleast one small bowl of rice. Dont make the rice too hard(make it softer than what we adults eat) . Mash up the rice with milk or curds , you can add dal /rasam also and give her with vegetables from curries. If she feels it spicy , just give boiled veges with a pinch of salt. Roti might be a little tough for her to eat right now so maybe she doesnt like it but do offer her. She will get used to it. Also try new foods with her like egg, different fruits, khichdi , boiled vegetables, soup etc . Experiment and see what she likes.

Like your doc suggested you can stop cerelac by one year. Home cooked foods are always best for baby as they grow so you can substitute that for cerelac.

4. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

The most simplest rule u can follow Jhalli --------- FEED THE CHILD WHEN THEY ARE HUNGRY THAN MERELY FOLLOWING A TIMETABLE .
    thats the best thing that can happen to a baby. I remember reading a book long ago by a Dr. In which he says that babies loose their hunger instinct when the mother feeds them by timetable rather by the reflex itself. Thats absolutely TRUE.
    I hv experienced myself.I am a mom of two. For my first I strictly adhered to a feeding schedule , I think it had the best food groups & qty on books. But every meal for my DD was a struggle. She always used to reject or take a very very long time to finish. But back then a new mom I didnt realise those things.
    When I had my DS, I had have the time I had for the first & also more mature. This time I fed the baby only when he cride of hunger. Sometimes he fed more, sometimes very less.
    But today I can say that my DS is a better eater than my DD whoz more picky. YES, my son might look lean & not the so called "chubby guy". As a mother I think as long as the child is active & healthy & eats good food NO WORRIES.
    So Jhalli, I think ur child feeds right, dont go by books follow ur instinct to feed the baby. IT WILL WORK THE BEST .:thumbsup:thumbsup