1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Irritating Mils Sister. Please Suggest What To Do

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Prachi.B, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

This is about my dear and close friend.

My friend's mil visit her every year or after few months and with every Mother in law's sisters also accompany. They stay for 15-20 days or more. In this duration they have a lot of fun, shopping, call other nearby relatives for lunch/dinner. All this expenses are of my friend's husband. Also while going to their own home my friend's husband books the tickets. During their stay my friend cooks food for them without any help in any house hold work.
    Now my friend's concern is that she has never ever treated unwell with her mil and mil's sister. She knows they just come for a enjoyment and don't have any feeling towards my friend, her husband and her kid. Now she says its intolerable as the elder mil's sister does not speaks to her at all. Til now my friend let it go for her husband as they are his relatives.

My friend say after doing all household spending money on them still aunt don't talk to her. Aunty has never ever called my friend to her place. MY friend thinks she is taking benefit of her good quality and this time my friend don't want that aunt at her home.

Next week they are coming hence this time my friend complained about aunt to her husband. But he lightly and said ignore. Now my friend says aunt comes to my place and insults me at my house without talking and ignoring me.
    So please me some guidance on how to stop the aunt visit at my friend's home.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

It would be inappropriate to ask only one of the MIL’s sisters to not come. So that’s something your friend or the husband can control.
    Since this is a annual trip the only thing your friend can do is not go out of her way to do things for them , be tired and then be bitter about it. Cook basic food and also make sure they take care of their laundry etc. Also handover a basket of veggies to chop so the sisters can bond over gossip and cutting bhindi’s . 15-20 days is a long time to host someone alone with no help, so it’s important to not set the expectations too high. Give her links to one pot meals , also tell her to go about her life , hobbies since they come often .
    As for the aunt that doesn’t talk, give her the task of washing the pressure cooker after a lunch of sticky kichdi.

3. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Your friend can't stop them coming- nor it is appropriate- unless that lady has really said something rude to her.She can just make sure to give them work little by little, so she alone doesn't have to take the burden.
    Whether she like her spouse' relatives or not, she can't stop particular person from coming, if her spouse is happy to have them. If that lady actually told something rude only then she can tell her husband about not inviting.
    If they are staying for 2 weeks without helping in kitchen, it's wrong, slowly your friend has to hand over work to them, like asking help etc Handover some work, telling its getting too late for lunch time etc and she needs help to complete it soon. She should just cook the most basic and easy stuff, if they want to eat more elaborate meals, surely they will step into the kitchen themselves !

Sandycandy likes this.
  4. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Here mil is above 65 and the sisters elder than mil. So she can't hand over any work to them. Every visit they have a back pain, knee pain and other joint pains. But while going for an outing they are ready any time. Other wise whole day mil and her sisters sleep and watch tv (that also lying on the sofa). They are such kind of people like they wake up have breakfast then sleep then again wake up have lunch then sleep then tea then again a nap then dinner and then good night sleep. What ever time you visit they are tired and in sleepy mood.

5. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Let them sleep and keep one more TV in your room.

Sandycandy likes this.
  6. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Your friend should talk to her MIL directly and tell her what difficulties she is facing, and make sure that her MIL doesn't bring all her sister's home and expect her to look after everyone without help..it's just so unfair..else the MIL should collaborate with her sisters and manage the household stuff like extra laundry and cooking that has to en done..or they should all contribute money to pay for a cook to prepare food for them during their visit..else put in money to order from outside, like home delivered food by caterers during their stay...
    Your friend should slowly stop doing stuff for them..I.e doing only her laundry and telling them to pls do theirs when the washing machine is free..and just cook basic simple food and tell dry one to adjust..if they are bored of food they play either pitch in and do something or won't visit so long next time..
    She should repeatedly complain of tiredness and back pain and express her inability to manage work..

shravs3 and Sandycandy like this.
  7. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Don't complain to husband. You cannot complain about just one of the guests unless they openly attacked you. Welcome everyone as usual. 65+ is old to do heavy duty work. But they can surely contribute to cooking, laundry etc. So you don't go overboard trying to please for more than the 1st day or 2.

When they are here, you pretend to be busy with work or "fall sick" with a stomach ache, back ache etc. Let them manage the show for 2 days. You slowly return to normalcy but keep them in the loop of their household duties. Does the husband pitch in? If not, assign some tasks to him as well.
    You keep cooking simple and repetitive on weekdays. When you cook special, let them know that you are pampering them. Order outside atleast a couple of times so everyone knows that you are struggling, but don't complain.

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

It's not gona be possible to ask her not to come until unless the son n mom has an open communication, even then there's no guarantee the mil will agree to ditch the sister.

Few things to try..

Keep the visits strictly to once a year or longer (not every few months).

Since her husband is booking the tickets, try to shorten the number of days, pick a late start date or an early end date.

Keep herself busy during these days. Go on about what she normally does n maybe even get out of the house more when they are there.

Keep the cooking to minimal varieties instead of going the extra mile n getting all worked up over it. Ask her to make her life easier as she has to cook for more people. Repeat, make it boring, necessary items only.

Also call in sick for a few days n ask hubby to order food from outside n relax.

Hire help n cook during those times or ask her dear hubby to help out.

On another hand, if your friend is bothered only about the "talking" part, she can try initiating or ask her directly (nicely) or keep the hubby, mil n talk to her.

She is older than her mil, so can't expect any initiation or gratefulness from her as she may feel rightful to her (sis) sons place anytime she wants.

So if possible, your friend can try to fix the talking issue.
    If can't, she just has to take it easy on herself during their visit n ignore the rest.
    If she's a fighter, she can tell her mil the problem n ask her not to bring her or help sort it out.
    If her husband is brave, she can convince him to tell her about the problem she has.

Sandycandy likes this.
  9. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Ok if they do that ask ur friend to say nicely u guys stay home since u have all kinds of pain n she and her hubby can go out just to piss them ..

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

if ur mil is nice and affectionate,ignore her sis