1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Irrfan Khan Passes Away

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Cheeniya, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Actor Irrfan Khan died this morning in Mumbai's Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, where he was being treated for an colon infection. A statement released by his family said that Mr Khan spent his final hours "surrounded by his love, his family for whom he most cared about." Just hours ago, the actor's spokesperson said in a statement that Mr Khan was "still fighting the battle." The Piku star, one of Indian cinema's most respected thespians, battled a tumour for several months and returned to Mumbai some months ago after being treated in London. Irrfan Khan is survived by his wife Sutapa and two sons.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. FreshDewdrops

FreshDewdrops Bronze IL'ite

A fine actor and a finer human being has passed away. Big loss to Indian movies

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

A fine actor. I have watched most of his movies. PLanning to watch the latest Angrezi medium too! Very sad. Loss so early in life. RIP Irfan

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. FreshDewdrops

FreshDewdrops Bronze IL'ite

You must surely watch angrezi medium. It is a very good movie and nice acting from Mr. Irrfan khan

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Having watched some of his movies, Pikhu. Hindi medium, Lunch box, I have always admired his nonchalant way of acting, unlike some of the heroes who always insisted upon locations, heroines etc. It’s hard to find great actors of his caliber. May his soul Rest In Peace.

Agaths83

Giri12, Thyagarajan and joylokhi like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh my God! Reading it here first. Shocked. I thought he was getting better.. A huge loss to the industry. Condolences to his family.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

Shocking news. May his soul rest in peace. I first saw him in Slumdog Millionaire. Loved his acting in Life of Pi and Lunchbox. Om Shanti!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Irrfan Khan’s home is as charismatic as the actor himself
    From the stage to television to the silver screen, Bollywood celebrity Irrfan Khan has established himself as an actor to be reckoned with.
    [​IMG]
    Irrfan and Sutapa in the living room; the sofa is by Peacock Life; the side table and lamps are by local artisans from Rajasthan. Below: In the dining room, the tables and chairs are by Peacock Life and the lights were sourced from Jaipur; the mirrored panel was designed and built on-site.
    When I walk into his living room on a sultry afternoon, actor and Bollywood celebrity Irrfan Khan is attempting to move a pond.

Arguably the finest actor in current Hindi cinema, Irrfan has moved from a home on Madh Island—a quick boat-ride away from the Mumbai mainland—to a high-rise in Oshiwara, an area close to Lokhandwala, the suburban neighbourhood that houses many of his film and television colleagues. It is a literal hop from the fringes to the thick of it, akin to the actor’s career. Last year, for instance, he played romantic hero to Deepika Padukone, and then Aishwarya Rai. This month, his next release features Tom Hanks. Going from an off-centre idyll to a mainstream neighbourhood, he’s holding on to what matters most.

“It is important for me to have a water body,” Irrfan explains, passionately (and oddly) specific, pointing to something that looks like a Turkish bathtub, a square of blue stone. “It has to have its own ecosystem, survive on its own. That fascinates me. That the fishes don’t have to be given oxygen separately, that the water doesn’t have to be cleaned or changed.” It is, literally, a living-
    room pond.

Shabnam Gupta, who designed the interiors, feels this pond—which was relocated from a corner to the middle of the living room—posed a unique challenge. “When he ideates, he enjoys the sound of water,” she says. “But this has to be an extremely controlled amount of sound, otherwise it gets on your nerves. Plus, he wants fishes and lotuses and reeds.”

[​IMG]
    The view from the other side of his room and study; the bed was custom-made on-site; the chairs, stand and rug are from Irrfan’s collection.
    INNER SANCTUM
    Stepping out of the lift into Irrfan’s fifth-floor apartment is like walking into an inkwell. All is dark-blue, and dimly lit—save for a pair of latticed arches with a cut-out floral motif. “So that when you enter the house from the noise outside, it changes your mindset. It brings you in,” says Irrfan, thumping his chest à la Matthew McConnaughey in The Wolf Of Wall Street, rhythmically accentuating the entrant’s journey.

The Khan residence—home to Irrfan, his wife Sutapa and teenage sons Baabil and Ayan—is an intimately made one. They are not a family that call guests over often, and he doesn’t like playing host to big gatherings. Walking in through the darkness, you step abruptly—and, by dint of the contrast, almost shockingly—into a spacious house bathed in natural light. It makes the head spin.

“The jhoola is a must,” he says, as he stops by a swing. A two-seater, it has a plank the size of an open newspaper, and hangs from dark-green ropes—the ornate, thick kind that could hold open a stage curtain, or disallow entry at a discotheque. This is possibly where Irrfan sits after turning down yet another Christopher Nolan offer, or ruminates over what may become the next Lunchbox.

[​IMG]
    In the living room, the lights and sofas were custom-made by Peacock Life. The charpoys were sourced from artisans in Jodhpur. The waterbody is in a blue stone from Nepal; the urn is from Irrfan and Sutapa’s collection. The mirror panel on the wall was sourced from artisans in Jaipur.
    He confesses to a mirror fetish—“I always peer into them even if I’m walking by in a hurry”—dating back to well before he considered becoming an actor, and this house fulfils one of his longest-held fantasies. “I finally have an area surrounded by mirrors, where I can see myself from every angle.” His thrill at this dressing room appears endearingly narcissistic, till I remember an actor needs to be aware of every aspect of his physicality—body, costume, and look. Irrfan himself had once told me that one of his most profound acting influences was a Naseeruddin Shah film, where he felt captivated by the actor’s back, which seemed to be emoting in its own right. There are no small parts.

Sutapa’s bedroom, with its floral motif and Gond art, is a more individualistic area, standing out in a house built around varied knick-knacks, collected across far-flung travels. It comes with a tiny balcony, barely big enough to hold a round yellow table and two chairs. This is what Irrfan defines as the sanctuary of the house, a quiet space he envies. “I like her room because it is its own thing; it has evolved on its own. There is no school of design here. There is nothing synthetic about the way it feels.”

[​IMG]
    In the dining room, the tables and chairs are by Peacock Life and the lights were sourced from Jaipur; the mirrored panel was designed and built on-site.
    DETAIL-ORIENTED
    We stand over the dining table and he points out a set of five black wire lamps hanging just above eye-level. Irrfan marvels about craft and symmetry, about the cross-hatched intricacy and the differing density of the wires shielding the light, and it’s clear: the man is obsessed with detail.

He waves one of his trademark hand-rolled cigarettes like a crayon as he talks, and shrugs resignedly when I ask if the whole house is a smoking zone. We step through the hall into his bedroom, and he nearly trips over a stray football left behind by one of his sons. “A smoking zone and a football field,” he corrects.

His new television hasn’t been delivered yet. The corresponding gap in the bedroom bookshelf, thus, has been temporarily stacked, haphazardly, with awards of every description, from GQ’s ‘Man Of The Year’ prize, to a Screen Award for Paan Singh Tomar. He’s sheepish about these awards, claiming they are only visible while things are still being shuffled into place. “They will all be put away out of sight. Hidden away.”

[​IMG]
    Irrfan Khan and his wife Sutapa with Shabnam Gupta at the actor’s Mumbai home.
    “Where will you keep the Oscar?” I ask him.

That famed trophy has been dismissively stashed away by some of its winners. Sean Connery keeps his in the bathroom, while Timothy Hutton’s lies in his fridge. Irrfan laughs. “So many awards mean so little, but that… that is an award that would change everything; it can open up every choice for an actor.” He pauses, surely, I think, aware that, as an actor on the radar of the world’s best film-makers, he isn’t too far from that possibility. “I know I won’t keep it in the bathroom,” he smiles, and then, thoughtful for but an instant, dismisses the decision-making. “If it were ever to come, it would come with its own place. It would find its own place.” Much like he has.

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Unique and awesome is his house . Good actor....saw him in Piku. May his soul rest in peace.
    Syamala

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2020
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Sad..There was something very likable about him.Have seen few movies of his and he is a fine actor..
    Was shocked to see the news this morning..RIP