1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Irrelevant!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Jun 27, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Narasi sighed. The once alive and vocal Ramnath was in ice-box now, waiting for his only son Siva. "How could you leave while I still remain here?", asked Narasi who was seven years elder to Ramnath. Narasi had nobody and joined as a cook cum assistant to Ramnath 30 years back. He was considered almost as one among the family.

He had been there offering solace and soothing words to Ramnath when Ramnath's wife passed away unexpectedly. And was nursing him in the last few months, as Ramnath had a stroke from which he never fully recovered. Siva had just left them to join the job that he was dreaming about. It promised a great career and lot of opportunities, but the only drawback was that it was away from home.

After falling sick, Ramnath wanted Siva to be by his side. Siva suffered, unable to decide whether to leave the job or to leave his father. Ramnath was like a sick child asking for Siva always. Siva stayed for a month, but could not stay longer. He left a day later, leaving a note. Ramnath was very angry and shouted a lot to Narasi, about Siva and about Narasi himself. Narasi was patient and hoped that Ramnath would cool down later. He spoke to Narasi one night thus - "Tell Siva that he is ungrateful and I will never forgive him!". The next morning, he passed away.

When Siva came some hours later and asked Narasi whether his father said anything to be passed to him, Narasi just said, "Yes. He wanted to say that he loved you so much!".

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes it is better not to tell truth which hurts and takes that person on a guilt trip forever. Narasi did the same thing. By telling truth Ramnath would not come back and Narasi would be on a guilt rip forever for leaving his father and going for the job.

Recently I was reading a Telugu story"samskaram". In that story a teacher meets a couple of his students in a wedding. He talks with them. A rich lady who was his student says she does not recognise him. He is hurt. Then he sees a person who is arranging furniture and chairs in the wedding hall. He was also his student. The teacher goes and talks with him. He bows to him with respect and asks about his welfare, takes him to the dining room for breakfast. When the teacher finishes his breakfast and comes to the main hall this person was talking with someone......"Today my childhood teacher came to the wedding and talked to me. I felt so happy and he also was happy to see me."Other person asked him if he has recognised him." Then this modest person says...."No, I did not recognise him but when he came and talked to me so nicely how can I say that I don't recognise him? He would feel hurt. I pretended I respect him a lot and he was happy." The teacher was touched by his "samskaram" which the rich lady lacked. I think equivalent word to "samskaram" is culture of the person.

Syamala

3. rgsrinivasan

Thats a touching story Syamala. And thanks for your nice summary [first paragraph] which conveyed everything that I intended to. Happy to receive your feedback as first too. -rgs

4. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Hi Rgs
    Nice story.:thumbsup
    Choice between career and parents sentiments is a tough one.
    I loved Narasi's character which shows practical wisdom.:)

regards
    honeybee

5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your appreciation and a crisp feedback Honeybee. -rgs

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

A very nice lesson. As we all know, when someone is near death they go through five stages called denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Denial is to believe it is not happening to me, anger is about "Why me?" and bargaining is about negotiating with the Lord to give life in exchange of something, depression is when they know that it is for real and acceptance is when they are ready to face the inevitable. These stages don't come in order and sometimes one may not go through all five. Perhaps, Ramnath stayed at the level of anger and died at that stage.

There is no point in conveying that to Siva.

Viswa

7. rgsrinivasan

Wow! That was so informative to me Viswa, especially the stages. Thanks very much for a nice feedback. -rgs

8. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Understood the point rgs, that it is irrelevant to tell that to the son since it is not going to help us in anyway and will further have negative effect on siva.

And I feel another view to this. May be with our love when we get dissappointed with our people, we tend to use harsh words but we really dont mean it. Its just another way of expressing our love for them. So the cook might have understood the real feeling of the father and so said the same to siva. Correct me, if I'm wrong

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for an excellent feedback Pallavi. Your second paragraph said it all. -rgs

10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

hi rgs,

I liked Narasi's character the way he handled the entire situation, he could have told the truth to Siva but keeping in mind Siva's life he did not i think.
    I feel the father was so angry and frustated that during his last days his son is not next to him, to give him the moral support.......... Though the father told 'Tell Siva that he is ungrateful and I will never forgive him!' he really did not mean it. What he would have meant was Even if his son is not next to him, he still loves him, understands his situation and forgives him for everything and always showers his blessings.