Iron tava and torn dosas!!

Discussion in 'Online Games & Puzzles' started by pstar, Mar 22, 2010.

1. pstar

pstar Junior IL'ite

I have seen my mother and my relatives make endless piles of lovely scrumptious dosas which come out in pristine and crisp form....

Gathering some inspiration I decided to move from my non stick tava (which had slowly started to stick:hide:) to the age -old tradition of iron tava in the hopes of a more traditional taste and style for my dosas....sigh!!:bonk

As is usual for me -everything turns out fine the first few times, its later that problems crop up...:confused2:

I made wonderful dosas for about a month, but now my Iron tava doesnt give- the dosas are stuck like super glue onto the tava...every morning with one hand im grappling with the handle and with the other, trying to rip the dosa and tava apart (like some movie villain trying his best to seperate 2 lovers)...and through the corner of my eye, I can see the grin my hubby gives ( as usual bfast is late, are u going to feed us or no??):roll:tskshakehead
    Then in a fit of rage, I just throw the tava ( with dosa still stuck and half tattered from my torture) into the sink, take out my non stick frying pan ( the old non stick tava had been disposed of, when I gleefully bought the iron one) and go ahead with my dosas..and the morning rush as usual....Witsend

Can someone pls guide me where Im going wrong?:idontgetit:
    I apply oil before I pour the batter- so there shouldnt be a problem, Im thinking...but im still baffled with my iron tavas love of the dosas!!!!:bang

2. Phalguni

Phalguni Bronze IL'ite

Try applying oil with a cut onion as the previous generation(Pre non stick era)did.It should help.

3. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

The sticking happens because your iron tava has not been seasoned.

You can season the tava by nicely oiling the tava and placing it on the stove and heat it...then take it out and leave it to become cold. couple of times doing this you season your tava and then later on the food doesn't stick.

You can google how to season iron tava and you can get plenty of procedures.

Jaya

4. pstar

pstar Junior IL'ite

I have applied oil in different ways
    1-in between making dosas, I liberally apply oil ....
    2- I believe the tava is already seasoned, cos I have done this earlier b4 starting to make the dosas...then after a month the sticking has started...
    Then, I poured oil in the whole tava and let it stand for a few days even, then washed away with soap -still the dosas stick.

:idea Do u guys wash ur iron tavas wtih soap and water or just rinse off with water after each use??

5. pstar

pstar Junior IL'ite

Dear phalguni & gjaya,
    thanks for all the suggestions.:bowdown:clap
    I did both and now am happy to say that have finally been able to serve fresh tatter-free dosas last week!!

:thankyou2: