1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

IPHONE or DH's nokia basic phone ???

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by dhruva19, May 24, 2014.

1. dhruva19

dhruva19 Senior IL'ite

Hi IL folks,

I have a question to all. My DW has a used IPHONE given to her by her brother who is in USA. He had used it for two years and when he got a new IPHONE he gave the old one to his Sister who is my DW. She happily took that phone and used it for 2 more years. I did not tell anything to her as it was the smallest thing at that time to brood. Now 2 days back she called me and told that the 4 year old IPHONE is broken and not in fixable condition.

I told her that for another one week to adjust with some old basic phone and once you travel to mumbai next week to stay with me I will buy another nokia basic phone. I use a HTC explorer basic smartphone as i need to check office emails, GPS, whatsapp etc. But my wife uses her phone for calling, sms only. Occasionally she will play one or two games on her IPHONE but it is not a must needed feature for her. So she is good with a basic Nokia phone which costs 3000 Bucks. But she told her brother that her phone is dead and he suggested to send the bricked phone to USA and he will exchange the same in USA for another good IPHONE and send it back to India with her Father who is travelling to USA next month.

I am not happy with my DW's need to go to her brother every time her phone is bricked. I as a DH is fully capable of providing her with a phone but not a SHOW OFF phone just for the sake of SHOW OFF. So I scolded her today morning that she should just stay within our family means and not depend on her brother even though he feels good to buy a phone for her sister.

Am I right in thinking that it is my duty to provide for my DW not her brother ????

2 people like this.

2. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Either you should get her a new iPhone or allow her to get a new iPhone from her Bro.. what's the big deal in it...
    and BTW iPhone is an expensive paper-weight.. there are many better smartphones in the market

1 person likes this.
  3. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

why not go for othersmartphones models which is cheaper like HTC or lenovo?
    i feel its not right for ur dw to turn to her brother for expensive gadgets unless he gives if willingly. u can tell her adjust with what u can afford only. for calling and smses, iphone seems to be total waste for ur wife.

2 people like this.
  4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Brother Dhruva19,

Yes, you are of course right and that too within your thoughts and means, Best wishes to sort it out at ease.

I guess you should it put it to her in the right perspective, definitely she will understand.

Sairam

5. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

Smartphone wars......... Lol

another reason for misunderstandings.

I'll just say sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.
    Penny wise Pound foolish........

Best of luck....... Hope everthing is sorted out........

1 person likes this.
  6. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello, I appreciate your thoughts since many guys expect their wife to get all they could from her parents' side..:hatsoff. It is also correct that your wife should not turn to her brother for every thing. Regarding this issue, I feel if your wife didn't ask her brother to exchange the phone and he offered to do it by himself, its fine. Otherwise, its good to stay within means.

1 person likes this.
  7. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

These days almost everyone has a smartphone. Whether they need it or not is another question? Maybe your wife too has fallen prey to " if she has why not me".
    But if her brother is ok buying for her, don't interfere.

8. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

she asks her brother cause you are thinking of getting her a basic model while her bro is getting her an iphone... so yea i would go with bro....

9. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

If you are so concerned and so capable, why don't you ask your wife which phone she wants before deciding yourself that she needs a basic Nokia phone!
    Maybe she needs an Iphone and that is why she is turning to her brother.

2 people like this.
  10. HeartHealer

HeartHealer Guest

Hi dhruva19,

Just because she is married doesn't mean she cannot turn to her brother and ask him for some gift. Their equation is different. They are brother sister.

I'm sure, your wife wouldn't have thought about your capabilities or in-capabilities before putting forward her request for a new phone.

Also, call it a show off or whatever, a smart phone ( may be not iPhone ) is a need nowadays and everyone has it. Dropping from iPhone to a basic Nokia phone will upset anybody.

As others suggested, if you're capable enough, buy her an iPhone or any other smartphone. Prove your words. It's time.

3 people like this.