1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Involving my DH in helping beyond jst words

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by DrKadambari, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Reshu it equally applies to men and women.
    I know my husband belongs to that category that if I press him hard to do things, he'd prefer to stay in office and do things of his desire and few more known in my circle who choose to return not before 11pm or 2 am etc etc.... such guys prefer to waste office hrs in chatting and browsing and stay beyond hrs to finish the work & then there can be calls ofcourse.

Yes it applies to womenfolk as well, when they have unhappy/ nagging inlaws around they love to stick in office for more hrs than usual to be able to sit peacefully for few hrs or mins.

Situations change when a lady becomes a mother and feels a greater need to rush to home to be with the child. I also see quite a few fathers picking up their kids from daycare and some school maids dropping kids back to their home handing them to another set of aayah at home since both the parents dont return prior to 10 pm.........
    There are all types of cases, and generally find a way to fit their life and work styles. If all agree, the setup cpntinues.. else they move to court :biglaugh............

2. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

ShilpaMa, I love the way you have put it.:thumbsup

Seriously, I feel guys who hate commitments should have the option of dating or staying single as in western countries.

In India lot of times parents forcefully get them married off once they reach a certain age with the note "Shaadi ke baad badal jaayega" ( He will change after marriage) and this is what happens - They end up seeking solace in office to avoid wife and kids.

3. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

True shilpama, why get into marriage when people have to run away of responsiblity.

Coming back to my post... my DH is lazy and nothing else. Just in case if my DH was working in India / for an Indian company they would have chucked him out by now irrespective of he being fine at job. He is just surviving as the work culture here does not believe in overloading of job.

People like my DH have to be born in Real Rich Family where everything could be done by servants and they could ease out with a glass of wine in pool... huh... i think its all got into my nerves and i am blabbering..

4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Dr.K - I think you are not really trying to "change" the situation, looks like what you want to do is just vent it out in an online forum. Thats ok, if thats the goal.

But if you want to change the situation - you know writing here wont do a thing. Take action. We've talked abt it in the past as well, so I wont waste time repeating all that.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  5. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

Well Spiderman, I have started to implement the suggestions given by friends here...

I spoke with DH and said we shall make a kind of routine and delegate some stuff to outselves that we have to do daily / weekly.

As one of them suggested I scheduled all these on our calender and he recieves updates for weekly job (where in he gets reminder that day that he wd hav this to be done this)

I have put a buzz on his mobile and also made it snooze... its quite irritating but hoping that it works... I tried it yest (day 1)

My previous reply was to those who said that if DH is not willing to work then just let go. :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Good DrK, hope things go as you scheduled.

Now if something does not happen as per the calendar, just let it go. Dont rush to do the task yourself or to remind him or nag him. Just let it go. Lets see how long it goes without getting done, dont interrupt that - he'll have to wake up to see that you wont nag or remind him anymore.:)
    If he doesnt do it, then it wont get done, and you wont bother either.

You are a cool headed person DrK, just push things via action now.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  7. prsnfd

prsnfd Bronze IL'ite

Its nice reading all the suggestions....some really useful one too!! I liked the one specially that said - give the LO to DH and ask him to handle the kid, while you do work.....if DH complains...just very casually mention that it is dangerous to be distracted while you are cooking....for the child's safety it is better if DH handles the baby :)....

After dinner ...maybe you can sit down with the LO and ask DH to clean up, letting him know you are tired.....i mean come on...any loving hubby will want his wife to be happy..and will let her relax at the end of the day!:)

8. apoorva1582

apoorva1582 New IL'ite

Hi,

I am not a mom yet but I am facing this situation daily in my home.. my dear MIL stays with me.. she is really old fashioned and believes that all work related to home, cleaning, washing everything and even outdoor stuff like buying veggies are women folks work.. men shouldnt be involved.. if i ask my dh to accompany me, either he will moan or ask umpteen questions by which u get frustrated and u will feel y did u ask him.. or MIL will ask u y cant u do it urselves?.. he wont even lift his used cups/plates from the place.. u have to clean it.. but when he sees things lying around, he will start shouting.. y dont u clean the stuff.. i have been irritated a lot.. sometime back, i was working, earning a good salary.. but due to some reason had to quit.. now being stuck at home, this thing is getting on to me.. before marriage, i was hoping that in whatever i do, my dh will be helping me, sharing things.. but the reality proved otherwise.. even if i try to make him help me, bec of old MIL that is not possible.. its a constant stress at home.. as they say, we women hav to endure a lot..

9. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

Yo Yo Yo Yoooooooo... am feeling much much better.

1. I used to get upset and feel down when DH would not help out. But now I am controlling and keeping cool or just not minding. So weekend is going wonderful.

2. When he knows that he has to do but then feeling not like doing it, I am telling him just chill now you can do it a little later. So he is feeling flexible but still doing it. :thumbsup

3. Spending less time in kitchen.

First ever time am feeling chilaxed at home.

During the week we have a get-together 10 of us and I would be cooking, DH said he would come early from office to help me... I said ok, but those words are worth million... I enjoy cooking so I dont mind doing everything on my own before he comes.

Apoorva thats really tough handling everything on own. Many times going out we need company than that being a help. With ILs together it makes life tough. Though DH does not mind ILs behaviours would make DH step back.