1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Invoking Subtlety From The Challenges

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

“This being human is a guest house. Every morning a new arrival. A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor. Welcome and entertain them all! Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows, who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture, still treats each guest honorably. He may be clearing you out for some new delight. The dark thought, the shame, the malice, meet them at the door laughing, and invite them in. Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.” – Rumi

When one is 40,000 feet up above in the sky, is when the enormity of those roaring words of wisdom make better sense. Perhaps, subtlety shows up its strength only when I am not dragged down by the gravity of my own past actions. Is life all about obtaining new and latest things inside my house or cleaning up the junk that already residing in it or combination of both, dominated my thinking. A thin book consists of remarkably impressive words of wisdom from many philosophical thinkers and a book titled, “Karna’s wife – The outcast’s Queen” written by Kavita Kane made my return trip home thoroughly enjoyable.

The philosophers of India always told us to treat the pleasure and pain the same way in our lives but here is arguably one of the greatest philosophers and poets of all times asking us to welcome a joy, a depression, a meanness and some momentary awareness with open arms. I always believed experiences in our lives are gifted to us to learn something out of them. But does receiving them with a right frame of mind give us the ability to change our way of thinking? Probably, yes.

Most of the time, I get bogged down by the adversities in my life and how to handle them without realizing those adversities themselves may be coming my way to reveal something much larger than what I am worried about. Should I search the meaning of my life within such adversities? May be, I should. Every time, I thought something big as this is unsolvable in life, it got resolved in ways that I could never imagine. I am beginning to wonder whether I assume way too much credit for what happens around me rather than watching what happens and how my mind reacts to such happenings. Being observant to how things unfold, what words are uttered to me as advise, how I perceive things as it happens, what impact it creates to me and others around me, is much more important.

Sometimes I am delving into dark thoughts that I keep in the chambers that are not accessible to anyone nor I am interesting in revealing that secret to anyone while other times, I am lurking in shame and guilt of what happened knowing that I am not at all responsible. While I hate evil actions of others, I carry malice in my own heart depriving a cleaner environment. Subtlety in life happens not by avoiding conflicts and pains but by facing and handling them with the courage and determination with full faith in one’s ability. Again, it is Rumi who said not to raise our voice but to raise our words as it is the rain shower that brings prosperity and not the thunder. Similarly, only a clear mind brings clarity and avoids confusion.

Inevitable negative emotions come to the surface from time to time and more than eliminating them altogether, it is how I handle them defines who I am. Accepting the reality, benefiting from clear vision and counting our blessings for the ability to handle them are three important elements in life. We have no control over the systems inside of us such as integumentary, muscular, skeletal, nervous, circulatory, lymphatic, respiratory, endocrine, excretory, reproductive and digestive, etc. and they all happen for our well-being automatically. We address them by external forces only when it is essential for our survival. Similarly, let things outside of us function independently until and unless it creates an impact in our well-being. Subtlety is something that already exists within us and all we need to do is to invoke to remove the obstacles we face in life from time to time.

Prayers could be a way people prepare themselves to face difficult situations and counting the blessings could be a way people humble themselves when things go right in life. Let us not look at the facade and instead look at the foundation that creates the strength to face life as it happens. There is no world without the pair of opposites.

Amica, kkrish, GeetaKashyap and 10 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You back to FL, Viswa? Welcome back.

Nice choice of term - subtlety. Many other come close, such as moderation, balance, equanimity, but subtlety takes the mot juste crown.

A useful goal to have - ability to invoke subtlety in times of joy or challenge or anything. I like to think I am getting closer to that. At the immediate instant of the joy or challenge, subtlety might evade, but the time taken to invoke it is getting lesser. And definitely, when the challenge comes a deja vue hue, subtlety and wry resignation tend to rule.

Afresh, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

Welcome back! Hope you had a wonderful trip. Am I wrong if I say that I found this snippet a little different from others and am I wrong again in assuming that I see a slightly changed V sir? It could be just me seeing things and you differently! That Rumi I tell you! Even as I was reading your snippet, thoughts and responses kept going in my mind to the extent that I wished I could dictate my thoughts someplace to capture them! Sigh!

I don't have to say that you have started with a wonderful quote. The truth for me is as much as I understand these at subliminal levels, when I go through stuff, it is not that me "meeting them at door laughing and inviting them in". It is that reactive me, almost always! Another sigh! I am aware of the emotions, aware of my reactions and seem helpless - thank fully I have reached a stage where in some circumstances I can very well do all that Rumi is asking and sadly it is in situations with people that are closest to me that I react, knowing well these people mean the world to me! Another sigh? dang it!

The words in bold are golden V sir but at the same time not taking responsibility takes us no where. Watching our own reactions, leads to an understanding of us that is very revealing - you have said that correctly! But nevertheless, we assume the responsibility! Go figure!

Perhaps these two references make me see a different V sir! I am not sure why I am hung up on that. Well, I had to put it out there!

Absolutely true and even after doing that, I don't think we will have a right answer and the questioning of self is so revealing that I am often astonished. When we understand the beauty of this, the journey becomes fantastic!

This is a lovely quote, one I shall always remember. Thank you!

Afresh, Cheeniya and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Hi Rihana,

I am so happy to be back in Florida from oppressive heat and imposing schedule. Thank you for your first and excellent response about the choice of word. You hit the bulls eye. I get invariably humbled when I face adversities and subtlety shows up automatically. It is when I face joy, I fail to count my blessings. In both adversities and pleasant experiences, I either I take blame or credit as the case may be (assuming personal responsibilities) without spending much time on why such experiences I encounter and how my mind reacted to it.

Afresh and Rihana like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

I am so happy to be back and thank you for your wonderful feedback. The trip was very engaging. Difference is something only you can find and it is always hard for me to find differences in me as easily as others.

That quote from Rumi is extremely powerful and I am not surprised you went through a train of thoughts. As you can tell, that is precisely what resulted in this snippet itself. What a difference it makes when those experiences are with people who are the closest to us!

You and I think identical in many ways. I made the sentence initially as, "I am beginning to wonder whether I assume way too much responsibility for what happens around me rather than watching what happens and how my mind reacts to such happenings". Then, I decided to change the word "responsibility" into "credit" and what a difference it made to that sentence! Taking responsibility is okay but taking credit?

It is always revealing when I dig deep into me! I see many dark chambers that I have not bothered to put a candle inside nor I bothered to let anyone know about those dark chambers.

You are right! The second quote of Rumi resonated so well for me as well.

Viswa

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

The 'subtlety' is too subtle to enter my ordinary brain.
    Yet The snippet is a trove in itself.I have to read and re read to get at the correct things in my space.It is human nature to take credit to the success and shift the responsibility to God or Destiny at the time of crisis. Yes, you need a 'subtlety' to welcome all the events as our guests, give a warm welcome .I have experienced that when we get prepared to face the challenges with grit and determination, some light is seen somewhere, even out of context, to give us a subtle clue,an inner thought which will definitely pave the way to tide over the crisis and later offer some solution which may even be in the form of a different problem,in solving which the old problem keeps a distance from us and ultimately disppears from the scene of priority.

Thanks Viswa for sharing.Hope you have fulfilled all the tasks undertaken during your visit to India.
    Jayasala 42

Afresh and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala;

Who can be better prepared to respond to this snippet of mine than you? I know you had faced considerable amount of adversities from a very young age and handled all of them with courage and determination. From what I understand from your previous snippets, you have not accepted "no" as an answer and put in significant efforts with the hope that life will change based on such subtle efforts. You have rebuilt the life of your husband with grit despite so many other responsibilities you were handling at that time with the help of your MIL. Your Sankalpa to set everything right worked well and you had the energy and needed outside support to achieve your goal.

You are so right about subtle clue, an inner thought paving way to tide over the crisis and later offer some solution which may even be in the form of another problem, leaving the old problem to disappear from the priority.

Observing all that happens around us and how we reacted to such situations and where did the energy for handling them came from, etc. are extraordinary experiences themselves. It proves that we have something in us that can handle everything we encounter in life.

Most of the tasks were completed during the trip to India and it was a very fulfilling trip.

Viswa

Afresh and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@Viswamitra
    Welcome aboard with thought provoking post that aptly opens with Rumi quote.
    2. You have analysed the requirement of subtlety in handling any situation or crisis.
    3. Your response to veterans' Fb in this thread stands out as an eye opener.
    4. I had mentioned in few of my previous posts of dangerous situations that I had confronted and subtlety needed at those moments.
    5. At every step toward progress a subtle thought helps straighten the path to proceed.
    6. Yes your post like evey other one is a special trove.

Thanks & Regards.
    God appears always as an angel in subtle manner to guide spirited souls.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Sri Thyagarajan:

Thank you for your response. Subtlety exists within us and once we face a crisis, it manifest itself with appropriate efforts from our end. I have read your dangerous situations with keen interest and how you handle them and certainly, they represent subtlety at its best. I assume you are referring to Smt. Jayasala's response and my response to her. She had handled most difficult situations in her early life than at least me and she would know this better than I do. I am humbled by your kind words.

Viswa

10. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Dear V Sir,

Good to see you back in the forum. And I hope the 80% of the work you completed back in India gave you a good amount of satisfaction.

The article carries a lot of meaning and I'm reading it again and again to invoke subtlety from challenges.

This art of seeing the challenges as gifts in our life to learn something out of them comes with experience.
    By the time I'm 65 plus I would probably be a master of that . I would have gained most of the gifts and still will be in process of gaining a few more . :grin::grin:

I'm going to read it a few more times so that I keep remembering this life lesson.

Regards ,
    Anusha