Inviting ideas on "Hiring a person for marketing"

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by skavitha16, Feb 12, 2009.

1. skavitha16

skavitha16 New IL'ite

Hi ILites,

The success of any business lies in Marketing.Many of our ILites are involved in home-made products manufacturing business like handicrafts,cookery item e.t.c.
    One good way of marketing is....

Hiring a person for marketing.It may sound critical.But this is what many of the branded companies do in the names of "sales representative".A very few job websites caters people for house keeping,servant maids and sales reps.The salary may come around 4-5k permonth.

One advantage is that our product reaches retailers and shopkeepers.In this way we can feel the pulse of the market for the particular product.

Lets analyze the pros and cons of this ...:thumbsup which will give a better insight for all our ILites Entrepreneurs..

2. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kavitha,

That is a good suggestion. However, the scale and size of many home-based businesses are too small to get hired help. My experience is that until a home based business reaches scale, the owner needs to be the marketing/sales person. In addition to saving cost, it gives first hand experience and feedback from potential buyers on what is right and wrong in their product/service. That is invaluable for a small company. Once business picks up and time starts to get stretched, getting hired help is the natural way to go.

3. shruti8386

shruti8386 New IL'ite

Hi Kavitha and Jey...this is a very critical question in many entrepreneurs minds...I am a market research consultant and also sell designer diyas with my MIL during the season...I have experienced the need to market my product, so that it can reach more people...

While it is important for the entrepreneur to actively market their product..it helps utilize the social media and friends there in to talk about the products made...Specially someone in the age group of 25-40...who are active on FB, Twitter and the likes...One can probably hire a known person / friend to do the same...

I would myself like a few more thoughts and ideas...so would request more people to post same :thumbsup