Investing in Stock - discussions?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by shalini, Nov 20, 2005.

1. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Hi

How good it is to invest in IPO of reliagre....any views???

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi AGR,

Religare Enterprises Limited is a Ranbaxy group company. The price band for the Religare Enterprises Limited IPO has been fixed between Rs. 160 (being the floor price of the IPO) and Rs. 185 (being the cap price of the IPO). Religare Enterprises Limited IPO will close for subscription on November 01, 2007.

Religare offers a large and diverse bouquet of services ranging from equities, commodities, insurance broking, to wealth advisory, portfolio management services, personal finance services, Investment banking and institutional broking services. Religare’s retail network spreads across the the country.

Heard their service is good. a good one in this price band....heavy subscription is expected....

(P.s. I don't have any interest in the particular company...and i am not investing...invest at your own discretion )

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi AGR,

Looks like you are here after a long time....How are you doing in stocks....
    share your experiences....

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

HI,

Today, i had this dilemma, I have a good stock...that was in the red for almost a year...now it has picked up and has given me 50% profit....my husband always tells me the moment you get a 30% profit....book it... (30% because as an nre trading my transaction fees...all add up to more...so i have to cover it...)

now i know all those who are trading will tell me...good you have got 50% profit...book it...but the dilemma comes because i know it is a good stock...has more run in it...

what should i do....reasoning....

I am the long term investor i will keep it...i am not bothered about the 50%...
    If i am a short term investor i will book partial profits.....
    If i am a trader i will not ask this question in the first place..because as a trader you learn the discipline of not to be greedy...doing the right thing at the right time..now.....

5. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Hello ILs,
    I went through the last few threads and I would like to plunge right away ( is this time okay to do so Shanthi ? ).I think i ll start with 15K. I have a sharekhan account. Time is my ally now. At home on H4 visa and dream to make some money through trading. any reliable website where I can get cues from ?
    Have no clue, guess sharekhan ll guide me a bit on this.

Also I have another doubt.If my husband were to invest in market, how can he trade Indian Stocks. What are the various modes. Can someone help me with these please ?

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi vidya,

Since you already have an account...you can do it. always when learning start with a small amount....and dont lose heart if you make mistakes... (talking from my own experiences...i have made some bad investments...but have slowly learnt the rope but as i have already stated i have lot of them in the red ....)

Since yours is an indian account, you can go into for day trading also. but check out if you are comfortable...

though the market is volatile...you can always take a plunge...The market cannot be timed.

REgarding your husband trading...
    well the age old method having a broker in india, calling him buying and selling through him. (now very few people follow this)

I think icicidirect has facilities for opening demat for nri from the us also.
    you can trade from all over the world... (but as nri we have restriction on certain shares.. and also your husband should have a pan card)

check out at - list of places...in the drop down menu...of city... https://secure.icicidirect.com/customer/customer_open_acct.asp?from_site=1

All the best...do share your experiences....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi vidya ,

Learn the ropes from the sites...but invest at your discretion....

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi there,

The market has opened on a positive note....and the market is expected to remain positive.

Though the market looks very tempting touching 19000, it is still volatile. what with SEBI putting restriction on the anonymous flow of money into the country...

Being cautious, and staying calm will definitely yield results in the long term....:)

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

As i write this, the market is volatile. (i know what is this volatile, volatile...but this is the only word that describes the movement so well..)
    the reason is SEBI rules for unregistered foreign investors...

The BSE Sensex is trading at 19,040 (up 269 points) while the NSE Nifty is trading at 5,651 (up 81 points). The rupee is trading at 39.36 to the dollar.

10. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shanvy

Thanx for your reply.............Hmmm it has been a wait and watch game..........Shares like reliance communication has been raising and raising.......non-stop.......as far as IT Cos are concerned they are also volatile.....Like infy was between 1750 and 2100.......So I retained only Software stocks and booked profit for all other stocks.......and the Mutual funds are also doing well..........I think beginners can first start with MF.........if we carefully choose the fund it yields minimum of 30% profit..... As far as IPOs are concerned almost all the IPOs I heard in the recent past had been at a gud premium.....Power Grid was also a gud one........But I sold it at 98 and after that it reached 147.........But for IPOs u need to have atleast 30K to invest so that atleast minimum no of shares would be allotted........Thats it from my end.........