Investing In Karma By Doing Good Deeds.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SGBV, Mar 31, 2022.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My community back home is generally underprivileged in many ways. Apart from the recent economic crisis, there have been deep routed poverty, women & child protection issues, discrimination etc..etc... that really affect the lives of many people.

I see similar level of social issues in many parts of India as well.

Because of God's grace or whatever the super power you believe in, some of us are blessed to live above the poverty line. We work hard to ensure that, this level of comforts to remain a reality in our off spring's lives.
    But in fact, for the kids to enjoy all this, I believe we need to save some good karma before we leave the world.

I always believe, I have been gifted with many blessings in life. I think, God believes I can be the right instrument to change many others' fortunes through my gifts. That's what motivates me!

Since long, I have been into charity works. Apart from what I am involved in this career, I have done a lot personally for the underprivileged people.
    I sponsor a girl child for her education - who has recently entered medical faculty in SL
    I support two of my poor extended relative families to cover their basic monthly needs.
    I employed 4 of my distant cousins in my coconut estate, and pay them a good salary much above the market rate
    I support my sister in many ways to uplift her life style, so that we will be more or less equal when it comes to status.
    I do yearly donation to a government school in my city, and extend ad hoc supports to the poor children in many ways.

Initially, I have started donating my used cloths & food to the nearby orphanages. I also donated my time with those children by playing & chit chatting with them. It was before my marriage!
    After marriage, I used to donate dry ration to one of the elder's home in my home town. For many months I did that on-line, but I changed the way I donated stuffs after visiting them in person one day.
    Those elders missed little stuff that no one saw them needing it. They wanted balms, pain killers, headache medicine and the simple vitamin boosters in addition to mufflers and sweaters.
    I made sure they receive these items as often as possible.

I am talking about just one elder's home in my country. There are many, and I am sure there are many many in India as well.
    They always run out of stocks, need extra but often struggle with little donations.

Donating a little amount from your monthly pay ch is nothing compared to what you spend otherwise. But we seldom think of such charities in life.

I work for United Nations, and this organization provides lots of humanitarian assistance to the needy people, including millions of refugees & asylum seekers across the globe.
    We have major donors from many developed states, but we also depend on IGs (Individual givers) largely.
    Apart from US, UK & Aus one of the major IG to the UN is the people from Spain.
    They are not super rich. But they do consider donation & charity as part of their spending culture.

We expected a large cut in IG from Spain following Covid crisis last year. But strangely, the donations were 20% bigger. Because the researchers hypothesized that waiting for an important, uncontrollable outcome may lead people to do good deeds with the implicit expectation that the universe will return the favor, a phenomenon they refer to as "investing in karma."

After reading this, I have decided to take charity seriously.

Charity is not just financial donation. It can be anything.
    - Food
    - You can share your knowledge with others.
    - Give your valuable time, company & an ear to listen to the one who needs it
    - Raise awareness on many matters - I do a lot on Sexual & Gender based violence via social media
    - Write articles on social reform against caste system, LGBTIQ+, equality and the list is so big
    Give free tuition classes to the kids
    - And adoption: I look forward to when time & God permits

Nothing is permanent in this life. Even milliners could end up living under the tent if his/her country is hit by a war or a natural disaster. I have witnessed that.
    What is permeant for life is the fruit of our deeds. Good or bad, karma is boomerang.

While saving money for my children's future, college funds, and our retirement, I am going to save some good karma in my account book. It will not only help myself & others but my children in the long run.

Kindly share your experiences and ideas (if any) on how to invest in Karma by doing good deeds.

I wish we all take this seriously and start donating :)

2. Ruby2019

Ruby2019 Gold IL'ite

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ I definitely will.

messedup likes this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Dear @SGBV

I have been thinking about you since we hear a lot about the SL economy...

Glad to know you're doing fine!

A lovely long list of ideas for charity - yes - do good for the society!

Am sure others can add a lot more!

Just - something that jarrs here is the usage of the word "Karma" - Karma is an untranslatable word -
    The english word "Karma" copied from sanskrit word "Karma" has morphed into "transaction" - the word with so much depth and weight has become something people throw up for all sorts of things - at least with your history of long association with Indians, please try not to use it with the meaning of "transaction"!

Keep doing the good work!
    Keep smiling
    HR

4. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

We donate a lot every year.
    For people's education, govt schools in India.
    Sometimes it will be some technology that the school needs or furniture.
    On my daughter's birthday, we donate around 10 k.
    Mainly my husband believes the good karma will help my daughter.
    I am not a great believer of karma.