1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inventions

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Necessity sure is the mother of invention...but what about a mother who is in need for an invention?
    Nowadays, as children are exposed to outside world and its tastes, they also demand the same dish and the same taste at home, otherwise they :ranton saying that you prepare the same type of food everytime, why not try something different.
    So it has become a necessity to learn and try new dishes, each and every time to make them have a balanced breakfast, lunch or dinner at home..:idea
    Cooking is an art, so does its presentation, no doubt it is being listed as one of the 64 arts. You can see the "kai vannam" (host's individual speciality) in the spread of variety of dishes, while hosting a function, or celebrating festivals or while inviting guests..:drool

Cooking is also a science, where experiments are being made in the kitchen and being tested upon the family members..:hide:

Whenever a dish tasted by my daughter sounds good to her..she asks..."Amma did you invent this one?" She wants her mom to be an inventor of that dish, but what to do..when I used my gray cells and tried some dishes adding this and that to the original recipe and also to some extent succeeded in preparing that dish 'good' it is has been invented by others before..:bonk.

But do you think I would stop inventing new ones because of this..no way!
    As long as the family members don't complain, my inventions would continue..:boo:

To see how many inventions are being made so far, by our ilite friends and myself, you can visit this thread http://www.indusladies.com/forums/miscellaneous-recipes/51957-crazy-recipes.htmlwhenever you find time...but don't forget to register your 'inventions' here..so that we can also give it a try!

sriniketan

2. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Srini,

Really a wonderful expression of all the mothers predicaments in the never ending journey of trying to keep their kids / hubby happy by their innovative cooking skills.

Though it looks a simple art for people like me who never ever ventured into the kitchen even while sleep walking, the amount of dedication & commitment the ladies have is amazing.

For most of the women, I would say cooking is an involuntary action and even they do not realize the efforts they are putting in.

Though I make fun of my wife, I understand & respect her efforts.

Keep innovating Srini.:thumbsup

Innovation is Inventor's Right.

Consumption is Consumer's Choice.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Srini,
    There is no lack of inventions in you be it in your posts or crazy ideas recipes.
    All because you use the grey cells in your head ( i think i lost mine long time ago).

Jaya

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srini,
    I am in aposition to invent new words to appreciate your finding new topics and write in a lovable manner.As you have mentioned, it is a himalayan task to make all get satisfied, Particularly, the kids. Everyday they want something new and they do not want the items to be repeated. when I visited my daughter in US, I experienced this. I saw two grand sons wanting new items everyday!
    Cooking is a great example of a melting pot between art and science. The science process starts when you collect ingredients, identifying which works well, blends into amazing flavors to come up with your dish. One could say cooking is like a chemical equation - you add all the ingredients, apply heat and you get a chemical reaction. So the equation would look like this: ingredient A + ingredient B ... + ingredient N = product A + product B ... + product N.
    On the other hand, cooking is also an art. It is symphony of taste, aroma and colors that tickles the senses. The cooked product appeals to the senses - eyes, if you like how a dish looks like; nose, if you like the smell; touch, if you like it hot or cold; and especially the tongue, for tasting whether the dish tastes good.
    with love
    pad

5. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi !
    That was great ! Exactly what a mother goes through ! My son is not even this high and already the little devil is finding fault with my cooking and keeps demanding why I dont make stuff seen in the menu cards of fast food joints and fancy Thai Restaurants !:help

So Mother has to turn Inventor ! But often my inventions are restricted to mere innovations in display , dish remaining the "same-old". Like, I make Dosas in the shape of cartoons faces ( eyes, mouth etc drawn with ketchup) Or cut up Idlis and put some fancy garnish to make Idli-Chaat ! Or stuff Pulao or Vaangi Bhaat into tomato-Cups.
    I have also noticed that food goes in without fuss ( sometimes !), if I set the table for him like in a restaurant, with napkin, a flower vase, a holder with sauces and pickles,cutlery and a menu-card !
    I will go through your link , right after this,to discover new life-savers for my table !
    :thumbsup

6. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

Hi Sri..
    cooking is an art and a form of invention... its really hard to please the palate of the younger generation...
    shall definately look into crazy recipes...my son's tiffin box is always ransacked by his friends as according to him nobody gets good as interesting as his box!!!.. i struggle evry night to come up with an innovative way to pack his lunch!!!
    K

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

Glad to have Sri the inventor as my friend.HAHA

U know Sri, one does get bored of the same food at home.i had told harsha this lonmg time back, maybe 10 years back, that ladies in the neighbourhiood, however much they hate each other otherwise, should share their receipes with each other, and make life tasty for everyone concerned.

Suppose in yr neighbourhood, there is a punjabi, Sindhi, south indian, marwari etc etc.

See that each can teach the other

Sindhi - Sindhi curry, pakodas of onions, etc, dal pakwan,
    Punjabi - Chole , bature, rajma and rice etc
    Southindians - dosa's idlis, rasam etc, and fresh ground coffees tht u all make so well

in short, forgetting the differences, if we teach and learn, can u imagine how many wonderful cusines u will have at home, and no need to invent at all.

Like Sindhi Curry is delicious, i am sure u dont makle it at home, but if taught to u, it could be made often, sindhis have it sunday afternoons, and it gives u a good sleep too.'

8. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear sirni
    Intersting writeup.I think every mother invent something or other in kitchen for their children.
    I am being lucky that whenever my daughters come home from hostel they want simple home food cooked by me. A happy situation for me. :thumbsup

9. susri

susri Silver IL'ite

Sri, you are a great inventor.
    Invention in cooking....... long way for me...... because I am still in learning process. Thank God...... I am always having chitvish recipes & crazy recipes handy........
    But I will make sure., each dishes will come only once in a month........ Will definetly plan for a weak menu ahead. Otherwise, satisfying kids is really a very big task. :bonk Still facing problem, because each one is having different taste( we are 4 ). So satistying all at a time is very tough. :hide:

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi srini,

whatever you say,you are surely an inventor of posts:)

enakku no imagination at all...so will follow recipes verbatim..cant recollect any flops though..if family does not like it very much and says" okay nothing great " then i never make it again..after all so many recipes still remaining for me to try in this world,no?:biglaugh:biglaugh