1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

introducing semi solids

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Dec 16, 2009.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i am throwing this question well in advance though... although i am prepared and rather think i would want to exclusively BF for the first 6 months to DD, i wanted to know the pros and cons of introducing tiny amounts of semi solids at 4 months or so,
    should i , shouldnt i?

experienced mommas, pls suggest :)

by the way, the one thing i hv realised these 3-4 days, when i am nxt to zoey and eating, she gives me huge stares and opens her mouth....i might be sounding silly here, but is it that she is just more aware of her surroundings, the smell of food?:idea

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Aha Looks like mommie is tempting lil Zoey.

Poonam babies would distract and show interest when their mommies eat, for me I had no option so I didn't wait for DD to taste the food. The other day my DH was giving fish to my DD and I thought she was enjoying it and she went on, and then I offered she had it and then there was a huge spit up. Guess it got too fishy LOL.

I thought it was wrongly posted, stick on we can have some exclusive BF for six months mommies in the thread.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Why delay solids... Yes, even tiny amounts can harm if your child is not ready... Watch out for readiness for solids, it believed that the gut matures around the 5th/6th month.. to be on the safeside it is advised solids are started after the 6th month. In some children like mine, it takes longer. If you have the supply and can meet the needs (which 97 percent of the mothers can), feed exclusively for 6 months.
    P.S. Could it be that she is imitating your movements/ body language. The bond is amazing. I saw her performance of trying to please you :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey Poonam, even mine does that. She keeps staring when I eat. I have no one around, so I take my plate to her and eat while talking to her. She keeps looking at me and sometimes even opens her mouth!!

After Tikka's post elsewhere, I read up the article of Why delay solids on Kellysmom and hence kind of convinced people that I will exc BF until atleast 5 months.

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

lynette- wow it certain got too fishy LOL!

tikka, i never thought it that way, maybe u are right, she is trying to immitate me.... coz during playtime... i nod my head saying NO NO NO... she wld do the same... another thing she has grasped is....i use my fingers... over her to entertain, making some shapes in air... she also starts to throw her fingers in air trying to do something lol.... so maybe she opens her mouth since i do... :))

6. nemo

nemo Senior IL'ite

hi all,

I'm also little bit confused whether to start semi solid as my LO reach 3months and everyone is advising to give small portion of raagi or something like that once a day.my elder would not take any other food until 1yr and she was underweight.:coffee

7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

My ped said that introducing semi solids is good idea at 4-6 months of age. This is mainly for practice to get them to eat with a spoon...Also cereal with iron is helpful for little ones because at around 4-6 months of age they will start depleting their iron stored in the body...And Iron is important for their growth...

So when my LO turned 4 months and after he had his shots, after about 10 days I tried lilttle rice cereal mixed with breast milk. He loved it and gobbled it all down but I limit the quantities (max, 4-5 baby spoons of rice cereal mixed with 1-2 ounces of breastmilk) and I feed him only once a day usually in the afternoon..

My ped also said that I can start on veggies & fruits if I want to but I am going to wait until atleast he is 5.5 months..

And reg your LO staring at you - Even my LO did the same for about a month...I guess it's just imitation

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

mridusudha are u making rice cereal at home? if u are, wots the recipe?? i am starting to write down recipes to be used later :D

9. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

So, are you all in the next phase, good good for you guys..

If your kids are like my kids(!?), then, no need to worry(touch wood). Otherwise, they may even ask for puliyodharai, believe me..one of my friend's baby has started tasting all our spicy foods over the bland baby food..So, beware before introducing...so, let them go step by step. The more you feed BM, the better it will be for them and dont have to worry about any infections in particular. Initially, you wont feel anything and giving solid foods is more convenient, but, when they are sick, you will go crazy..You can introduce like small amount of veggies with little amount of dhals alongwith a pinch of salt and then fruits, rice cereals, oats etc. alternatively of course with yr milk or formula. If I remember, my paed., would say that they need more liquid than solids until 1 yr.. After 1 yr. it will be totally reverse. Again, if they taste the fruits taste first, some kids will say no to veggies and if you put them in liquid for a long time, have seen many kids holding bottles even after 2 yrs which is pathetic!! Yes, they will say a big no to solids. You will know eventually. By 6 months, you can start giving sathu maavu which is a combination of all cereals once in a week..There are many pros and cons even in all solids like constipation etc. My daughter at her 9th month constantly got stomach pain whenever she had spinach or banana!! So, try one at a time, wait for a week, then proceed...

Good luck mommies & babies!!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009