1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Cow's Milk

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by powerpuffgal, May 3, 2016.

1. powerpuffgal

powerpuffgal Bronze IL'ite

Hi All, my DD is 3 and 1/2 month old. unluckily i had low milk supply at the beginning. so i have started Formula when she was a month old. i also b.feed her most times (now i feel my supply had increased). one of my friends told me that she had started to give cow's milk 1:1 for her DS once he was 4month old..

Can you all please suggest me if i can start cow's milk along with b.feed (if yes, can i avoid Formula??) . and how much ml would it require.. pour in your inputs.

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

OP, docs in US do not recommend Cow's milk before 1 yr. And now-a-days even in India. It is because of bacteria etc. But my family back in India raised huge hell and cry when they were told we are giving our LO formula because of my milk issues.

Anyways I had started cow's milk for my LO at 6 months ( If i rembr correctly). I started with little and was mixing with water and gradually increased. After 1, she was completely on cow's milk.
    Even though we used to buy Formula along ( as its easy for travel) but she gave up.

3. inboxsweetee

inboxsweetee Gold IL'ite

The fat and protein of cow milk are more easily digestible than those of buffalo milk.
    The cow milk has also got greater amount of vitamins and minerals.
    Buffalo milk is injurious to the development of children and only cow milk is useful to them (in the absence of mother’s milk). The buffalo milk is rich in fat, which children can’t digest. Because of indigestion they suffer from diarrhea. The fats in cow milk and buffalo milk differ from each other in their digestive properties. The percentage of volatile and soluble acids is greater in cow ghee, and consequently it is more easily digested.
    Cow milk, being easily digestible, is more beneficial to patients than buffalo milk.
    Cow milk is useful for intellectual growth of children.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  4. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Google it. Cow milk is not recommended for babies under 1. You are doing it right. Suppliment with formula as and when needed.