1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Cow's milk

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by SwamiBlessUsAll, Jul 7, 2010.

1. SwamiBlessUsAll

SwamiBlessUsAll Senior IL'ite

I am just curious - how do we introduce cow's milk to the baby? Do you add sugar or Horlicks or pediasure? What do we add to cow's milk - Can someone help me out understanding how that weaning works? My understanding is by 1 yr, we would have introduced solids sufficiently - but how much cow's milk would the baby need at that point? I am planning to slowly stop FF by 1 yr.

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

thanks mom for asking, i will keep an eye on this thread for the coming months

3. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Generally milk requirements for 1yr is around 16-24oz, don't force them to touch 24oz, its always fine to have in between this numbers.

Give the infant formula /BF complete 1 yr, then from 13th month slowly try to introduce the whole milk in small amount for one time, do this for 2-3days, slowly substitute with whole milk for one time a day. Follow same method for 2times a day, then 3times a day(7oz*3= 21oz).

Initially they will not like the taste, don't force them its always good to have formula ready incase if she/he didn't drink properly.

Its always good to give them just plain milk with no sugar. Anyway they never know the taste of sugar untill we introduce them that:)).

If you tried all the method, still you feel she /he doesn't take plain milk, then consult with Paedi&get her suggestion.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  4. SwamiBlessUsAll

Thanks Usha.

We had doctor's appointment and brought this topic up.. my problem is that he does not like formula that much - he will consume only 2-3 oz at a time..

The doctor suggested that he is fine with introducing cow's milk now itself, as long as we introduce a multivitamin with iron in his diet.. He suggested giving Poly-Vi-sol with iron, which is available over the counter.

As of now, I have tried giving him cow's milk once - he was ok with it.. not too excited either..

Poonam, I will keep you updated in this thread with what I do regarding this diet.

5. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Fine dear, then better follow doctor's advice....which is always safe and good.

Regarding intake few kids take 10oz at one time,few take it in 2breaks so before better schedule for kid, follow it.

Surely after little patience, effect they will automatically develop appetite at same time, start taking properly.

This tech worked in my kid's, she was fussy eater, i got fedup and skipped few meals some times, due to this she stopped putting weight, past5months same weight, doctor hinted us this is sure not good sign.

Then i prepared schedule+calorie requirements for her, selected high nutritive food groups, started giving same time, it took 2weeks for her to cooperate me. Atlast i succeed and feel effect has been paid.

Even i gave the same vitamin drop for our kid, even her paedi suggested the same.

Don't worry, by theway what is his age? See if he is nearing 1yr,try to give in sippycup or straw kind of sippy cup some time it clicks.

All the best.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

You could also mix formula and milk for the first few days and see if he has any reaction to whole milk...Whole milk may get LO's very gassy..So watch out..Go slow..

7. SwamiBlessUsAll

Usha,
    Thanks for your advice. He is 9 and half months old. Yup, I have the same problem - he has not gained much weight from a long time. He dropped to 19th percentile. The doctor is not concerned as he feels that it may be in his genes to be lean. But being his mom, I feel so low and keep thinking probably I am doing something wrong.

He does drink small amts of water from his sippy cup.. probably I will try giving him milk in it too.

Sudha,
    Thanks - I will watch him for gassiness and also try mixing formula with milk.