1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Intro of toothbrush

Discussion in 'Infants' started by kj2008, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kj2008

kj2008 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

When shud v introduce brush to our babies? My boy is 9 months old and has erupted 3 upper teeths and 2 below ones. So shud i start using brush with him or wait till he is much bigger? And how to go abt brushing his teeth?

Pl advice!!!

Thanks

Komal

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Komal, now would be a good time to introduce brushing. We bought a finger brush and toothpaste (Flouride free) fo Riya and would brush her twice a day. She loves it so much now that everytime she sees me brush my teeth, she would ask for "bush" and so I got her a baby toothbrush which she chews on.

Just put a pea size (or even smaller) amount of paste on the finger brush and rub it on his teeth and gums. No need to use water yet. Make sure you make it fun and force it if he doesn't like it initially.

Raj

3. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

I use the Gerber finger brush and flavored edible toothpaste (flouride free) for my LO too and he loves it. You can always sing a song or make it enjoyable while you brush and once they get older it will continue easily.

-L.

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I meant to say don't force it. Ha! :)

Raj

5. kj2008

kj2008 Senior IL'ite

Hey

Thanks all of u for the advices.I will get one for him too he is definitely going to enjoy eat as he puts everything in his mouth. U c he loves chewing. :)

6. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi Komal,
    Good question, I am about the post this query to our ILs. Infact I need to introduce brush to him, he has somany teeth by now. But in India, we get ghonson products for brush butnot sure which paste I should prefer to him.

7. kj2008

kj2008 Senior IL'ite

Hi Priya_Mommy,

For my daughter who is now 7 yrs old when she was a kid i never used a paste till she was 1 1/2 yrs old. Just used to brush her teeth like that for cleaning. After she learnt to gargle i used the paste.

U can find some good fluoride free paste there.

Thanks

Komal