Intravaginal ultrasound??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by zengirl, Jul 8, 2011.

1. zengirl

zengirl New IL'ite

My pregnancy test came positive and I have fixed an appointment with the doctor to confirm it. It must be around 2 months. Do they do intravaginal ultrasound to confirm pregnancy? Last time I did it, it was a very bad experience and I would prefer the abdominal ultrasound. Does anyone have experience with it?

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Congrats on your pregnancy. If you are uncomfortable with the intravaginal let your doc know. They can do the abdominal one if you are on the skinny side. In my case, I was not therefore there was no choice but to do the intravaginal one. MY SIL is really skinny so they did the abdominal one on her.

I know it hurts but it is really mind over matter. 1st of all, don't forget to breathe and 2nd of all, relax your body. It makes it much easier. And once those pics of the baby start popping up you will forget your discomfort in a second.

Good luck!

3. zengirl

zengirl New IL'ite

Thanks so much. I have done it before- so I know its not so bad once it is in. But I hated the whole experience. Dont want to spoil my first experience of seeing the baby with that. Hence the stubbornness!..:)

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  5. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

dear very much congratulations for the pregnancy... it is much easier than then the PV (per vaginal examination by letting fingers).. atleast this ultrasound is little private.... make sure, they use a new condom while they are inserting the probe inside the vagina.. some times it is more needed for the wellness of the baby... so just relax and enjoy the baby dear...

6. renu0049

renu0049 New IL'ite

Dear Zengirl,

I can understand your discomfort for this IV-test as I also had gone thru and going thru with these tests as iam in my 4th month of Ist pregnancy.
    But based on the Dr. prespective,it is good if you have this test as the Dr. can see clearly what is happening in your womb and with the baby instead of having on abdomen.

So,if you feel there should not be any problem and if you want to know if everything is fine or not then its good to have it.
    They will do it only 2-3 times in first trimenster and then they will not I guess as it is not also good to do many times these US tests.

take care and njoy pregnancy

7. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

The reason they do trans-Vaginal ultrasound is because they can see much more clearly through your organs nad the baby. They can note the progress of the baby better. They would specefically do it to determine the due date, determine that baby's organs are growing properly etc.

It can get especially painful when it goes for long period of time. In my case first one was quick and just a bit painful but the other one went for almost an hour. At the end it when it became quite painful I let the technician know that I am in pain and she needs to wrap it up. They sometime prolong it to give you more timeto watch the baby so clearly. If you let them know they will wrap it up faster.

I will hvae another one in 3 days and I will follow the same thing again. I would like them to do transvaginal because its more clear but will let them know once it gets painful and beforehand so that they can gather important data first.

BTW I think the ultrasounds at the very end of pregnancy is avoided but your doctor will make an informed decision on that. If she thinks everything is going fine, she would ask you to skip it otherwise you may need it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011