Intimidated By Cabbage..all Tips, Tricks, Recipes Welcome

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Vaikuntha, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@hermitcrab & to other followers in this thread:
    PURPLE OR RED cabbage during winter seasons available cheap is good for including in regular meals as it contains essential vitamins and antioxidants including flavonoids.
    More info in link
    8 Impressive Benefits of Purple Cabbage

God - it is heavenly that You had created so many aesthetic varieties too for food connoisseurs.

Sunshine04 and Vaikuntha like this.
  2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Thyagarajan Sir - thank you for such useful information.

Thyagarajan and Vaikuntha like this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Keep in mind the keyphrase "intimidated by"....
    Would purple/red intimidate more than green/white ? This is like whether nightmares come in B&W or Colour?
    Certain foods may also add smell to colours of dreams. And guess what.... cabbage is one such food.
    Link <==

[​IMG]
    Photo by Steven Baboun

Cabbage-like foods can cause smellovision, which is the process of smelling whatever is in a dream.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:This reminds me of disciple at Aurobindo Ashram, that one can overcome certain type of depression only by meditating on , one by one, recalling in mind the smell or fragrance of various flowers Steadily & slowly inhale and exhale. A man reported in Ashram he had overcome depression by thinking in sequence the fragrance of a set of flowers and leaves and corroborated it with Hindu Vinayak Pooja chanting names of 108 types of flowers and leaves . I do the Pooja but never thought of fragrance of the particular flower or leaf. I tag @Viswamitra here for his comments.

If cooking is not done as passion colour may not matter at all.
    Thanks and Regards.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Vaikuntha likes this.
  5. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

I have tried purple cabbage and purple potatoes. Seems like the, old time kings used to eat purple potatoes. But to me, food of kings was not palatable. Could eat the purple cabbage, but only once in last 20 years in US.
    Since I am committed to include cabbage, I plan to stop the discrimination based on color- when I buy cabbage. I will be an EOE, when it comes to cabbage getting a place in my kitchen.

6. Vaikuntha

Thanks for info @Amulet
    You have a way of weaving interesting info into the thread

7. Vaikuntha

Interesting way to meditate. Will definitely try this. I meditate since 4 grade. That was when one yoga teacher visited our school and taught us yoga, meditation, mindfulness. I feel so blessed that I had an opportunity to learn about this things, so early in life. I didn't discuss it at home, but started meditating

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Cabbage pachadi/chutney is my goto recipe, it is my family fav and can go well with rice or dosa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Been there. I am happy to say, I no longer dread the cabbage.

Just like an unknown person stuck next to you at a party, the awkwardness needs to be removed little by little ( with small talk there, with small portion here ).

Take the cabbage out of your fridge today. Cut one fourth out of it and only one fourth. Dice it into as small pieces as you can. Take 1/4th of onion, 1/4th of a tomato and one green chilli. dice all of them as small as you can.

Fry them in 1 or 2 tsp oil after mustard and some urad daal one at a time. green chillie, followed by onion, then tomato and then cabbage. Add some salt and make sure the cabbage is not too cooked. Should be crunchy and not get soggy.

This will be your first win.

A variation for next time. Add some cooked mung daal to the above cabbage recipe.

Another variation. Cabbage's lack of strong flavor goes well in chutney. ( fry in oil onion - 1/2, tomato -1/2, coconut 1/4th or 1/8th , cabbage ( 1/8th ), red chilli -2 , hing, tamarind-small piece ) and grind. Chutney is done. Use small quantities when trying for the first time. Then, you will know how to make it better without losing hope or having to throw out big batches.

Happy cooking.

Vaikuntha and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I see that most responses offer keywords for you to google search for the recipes. When you have to teach preteens to cook/help a parent in the kitchen, the easiest recipes (not on the internet) are innovated.
    1. parent shows how to remove the hard-core of the cabbage. In the process the cabbage gets quartered (cut into 4 pieces)
    2. then the cabbage is dunked in salted water. (1 teaspoon of salt per liter of water) and let soak for 15 minutes.
    3. then the quarters are taken out, each wrapped in a salt-water wet paper towel, and put in the microwave oven.
    4. run microwave for 5 minutes at high.
    5. open door and poke the cabbage with a fork, toothpick or a small knife. Does the cabbage yield to poker to come through?
    If yes ===> cabbage is done.
    6. If NO, then, close door and run microwave for another 5 minutes. Repeat step 5.

Serving: Take a quarter of the cabbage out of the paper towel, place it on a plate, and serve with fork and knife. With a large glass of water.

For nonveg eaters, this is served with meat/potato also, and the juice from the meat may require the serving be in a bowl, rather than a plate. Like this:
    upload_2020-2-7_8-6-40.jpeg

Good dieting food.

Vaikuntha and Thyagarajan like this.