1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Intimations of Mortality

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Manjureddy, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

The phonecalls started almost as soon as I came to know the grim news. It was a shock to everyone .
    " Is it true, or some wrong info ? ' " Its true. why would anyone want to wish death upon him of all people ? " never thought such a thing would happen. " " but why ! Evetything was going so well...what happened suddenly ? ". " who knows ? Its the Creator's Will " " Not even old . ........" " I feel rotten ! " " so do I "

When I had told my husband, he had said " oh. " and nothing else. He 'd heard of him ofcourse, but had no personal acquaintance. Talking to my female friends and cousins about the terrible development meant so much to me.
    Women understand better. Women empathise. All the more when they all once shared the same crush on the same Object of Desire.
    And now, he was dying. With no hope of reversal. It was a sad day.

Schoolgirl crushes are generally on film stars, Cricketers or the handsome gurkhas guarding the convent gate. But when we discovered the alternative , we ourselves were surprised by our choice. Because he was not handsome at all, wore no trendy clothes, rode no flashy bikes nor was he rich. What was it that cast the spell on us ? Its hard to pin point. But the more we saw of him , the more likeable he became.

He went to a different highschool ofcourse. (Ours was an all-female institution.)But since he was in the same neighbourhood, catching up with him , after school , was not difficult. He always hung around with a motley group in the eateries or the playground .....A hopeless backbencher in school , he was always pleasant faced. Yes, I think that was the primary reason we liked him. Pleasant . And friendly and helpful .......its a great myth propagated by men themselves that impressionable girls fall for looks , money and style. No. Girls are more drawn towards compassionate men who lend an attentive ear to others woes, are ever ready to help anyone in any situation, flimsy or grave. Above all, girls value a good sense of humour , and a large dose of innocence. Which he definitely had. Greek Gods are for holiday dreams only.....

He may not have noticed any of us sighing over him because we came to know he was smitten by a stylish girl in his own school. No points for guessing we hated her. A more pragmatic classmate of his had our sympathies when chinese whispers reached us that she too , like us, was all mushy about him.

We would sit around during lunchbreak debating whom he would marry later in life.
    When last heard of, he hadnt married either........thats life ! Unpredictable.
    Like death. His impending death.

Why do we think some people can never die, ourselves included, when lives are being lost eveyday, in every way ? Is it wishful thinking ? Its a scary thought to realise that I or any dear one can drop dead this next moment . Who can escape ! For the lucky , life trickles out , drop by drop, "like water from a cracked pot " unnoticed, but for the unfortunates, it vanishes suddenly like a puff of smoke.....(.MH 370 hurtles across my inner radar and I desperately wipe the smudgy image off .)...........leaving only memories and then, when those memories become distant and faded, nothingness. Do we live solely in the Hope of becoming a Memory with a short shelf life ?

As these and other perturbing thoughts swirled in mind, my eyes swept idly across the room, coming to rest on my husband who was watching the rambunctious election campaigns on TV . Involuntarily, I froze.
    I wanted to hit myself for the sudden surge of taboo thoughts, but then, who can rein in the monkeying mind ? I swallowed hard and forced myself to concentrate on Modi castigating the Shehzada . However, I continued to feel a low intensity tremor in my heart.

I realised it has been ages since I said anything remotely close to I-Love-You to the man I simply assumed will always be with me . Though simultaneously, always aware in the innermost space that he is , not just the love of my life, but my very Life.

" Shall I make poori-korma for dinner ? " I blurted out suddenly, startling at my own silly sounding voice. Poori- korma , one of his Most- Favs.
    My earlier disinterested plan for dinner had been the uninteresting rava upma .

He shrugged without even glancing at me, mumbled something lost in translation and continued hanging on to every word Modi was spewing out to the mesmerised crowd .

Any other time, I would have ......Forget it, it wasnt any other time. It was "Today ! "
    Today, the first day of the rest of my life ;
    Today ,the day an early part of my life packed up with finality and left, serving an intimation of mortality to the remaining me ;
    Today, the day his Maker decided that , shortly, Archie Andrews will die .

With him will wither away the last tenuous shred of umbelical chord tethering me to an irrevocably lost past.

No more lamenting. Time to move on.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Awww! Archie dying? I had to google and catch up with the latest news. Thank you Manju and I thought I read somewhere that he married Veronica. I am so far behind. You cannot blame me for I have been busy with Dora, Deigo and the likes for the past errr...few years. Back to relaity now and with this news?

Look at me! You have to excuse me Manju. As I read through your snippet there were many lines where I nodded, shook my head, smiled, even felt gentle tear and meant to say how well written this is but I ended up talking about Archie. But then he does have that hold on us, doesn't he? Coming back to you, [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]you have painted such a true picture of what girls want and let us leave Mel Gibson to find out what women want :) True, a sense of humor and a lending ear to our woes big and small or frivoulous is what draws us to them....boys. But that Greek God for holiday dreams...interesting thought!

Talking of life or death is never easy Manju and the only thing we can do is just live as we all know. Finally the weather is breaking out for us and we are enjoying the sounds of birds, the wind and my little fountain in the back. As I think of what you say and nod in agreemnet, let me go out and enjoy those daffodils and say hello to the trees that are ready to come out in full bloom and greenery soon.

PS: I am sure that poori-Korma turned out extra tasty with that secret ingridient of heart fealt love for your husband. May you continue to enjoy those moments Manju!

[/FONT]

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi Manju,

Archie dying ??? I dont get it at all. It is like killing one's adolescence,Dont you think? What will they do next? Kill 'Tom & Jerry" and take away our childhood too???. Left to me, I would like some characters to be immortal.:)
    Incidentally, it was my real life hero who sent me the link to this news.:) Now he has to wait for sometime before he gets his fav menu (as we are in different places :))
    But heres wishing you both A LOT of fun times.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju,

I enjoyed reading the transition from the news about the forthcoming death of Archie to the famous question, "Why do I believe that death will never arrive to me and my closest ones when I see people dying everyday?" First thing first. How dare the Creator made the decision without paying any attention to what impact such a news would have on millions of fans who enjoyed the company of Archie for several years? Even if he decides to do so, doesn't the Creator know that death is something that comes unannounced?

Now coming to our own mortality, I remember my Guru's words, "This frame is like a monkey playing with a water bubble". He suggests, "The best way to conquer death is to learn how not to be born again as birth is the cause of death".

I am glad Reddyji got Poori Koorma (his favorite) instead of Upma because of the news of forthcoming death of Archie. Isn't it an irony that we all feel that overwhelming love for our dearest only when we are hit with such news? How do we make ourselves give the best everyday thinking that the life is a nonstop celebration?
    Can we become more tolerant to a nagging wife and an unresponsive husband? Can we hug our children everyday as if there is no tomorrow? Can we help our neighbors thinking we won't be available tomorrow?

Please note that asking me not to use adjective in response to your post is like preparing 9 course meal, asking me to taste it without commenting on it. I am glad that you are eating well again because I believe that something you eat/drink everyday that makes you write well. Probably, your enthusiasm is derived from Chitale Dairy products which I used to enjoy during the years 1988-1992 when I worked for C-DAC? See, how I am blaming the Chitale Dairy products than giving credit to you? I hope that keeps you in good humor.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. priya4raj

priya4raj Silver IL'ite

Dear Manju ji,
    I don't have much acquaintance with Archie, leaving that apart, the way you have discussed the intimation of mortality shares so much of emotions to me.. Whenever there is a cold war between hubby and me, there would be a day of two where the dumbness prevails, despite secret eyeing, but at the end of the 2nd day, i get this feeling.. ie.. how long will i be blessed to live with this wonderful guy.. and that idea tends me to compromise, leaving my obstinacy behind. :) I know, this applies to the whole bunch of other relations we possess in this world too, na? In this uncertain world, how long are we going to have an unpleasant neighbor, a troublesome MIL and a nagging child... hmm.. makes me think, think, think!!

6. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Srama
    For someone who had forsaken our Awesome Archie for something called Dora , you seem to be quite upto date on page3 gossip from Riverdale. I never knew he became ghar-jamai of the irritable Mr. Lodge , i seem to have missed that episode , busy as I was with the businesss of growing up. I think he made a poor choice in Veronica. Betty would have made a wholesome man out of him.

Morbid Thoughts of death should have no place in the lovely world you have created for yourself, Srama , where it is always Spring, by default. With daffodils and gurgling fountains, and joyous birds over greening trees. Where , Gloomy Winters, like screen savers, are temporary and will pass quickly..........when you talk to your trees next, give them my love.
    Thank you for the lovable reponse, Srama.

I liked the korma I made . I dont remember adding mango extract to it, but husband kept talking only of Aams as he dined......I'm not complaining !

1 person likes this.
  7. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Eeeek, Mindian, dont even whisper that awful thought ! If they try to mess with Tom and Jerry, I will sue Looney Tunes for mental Agony and grievous injury to Nostalgia.

Hope your Hero is back soon for some fine dining and duet singing.
    Thank you for your good wishes, Mindian.

8. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Vishwa,

You are so right. Death comes unannounced. Since they have announced poor Archie's death, they are guilty of premeditated murder. the least they could have done is had a referendum on the issue.

"Birth is cause of death. So try not to be born ! " Logical. Perhaps i dint try hard enough at the appropriate time to avoid bring born . Piranthu tholaicchaachu ! And now have to face Death, no escape.

Yes, it is ironical that we need a gentle poke from Death to make us value Life. But for how long does the celebration last ? Smashana vairagyam. Upma will be back on the table very soon ........Just a day after sobbing for the dying Archie, I was not loving my neighbour who had tossed a crumpled paan masala pouch on my doormat.

Na jaanaami mukhthim layam va kadachit, ....yet unable to truthfully feel gathisthwam , gathisthwam twameka shankara .

I enjoy cooking 9 course meals and putting them on the buffet here. It makes me happy to see people tasting it. That itself keeps me in good humour.

Thank you , Vishwa, for making time for this chitchat in the middle of your hectic schedules with the Indian Consulate and form filling jhanjhats.

PS: No Chitale products . Our souls are sold to Amul.

1 person likes this.
  9. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Priya,

Hope you are done with the thinking -thinking -thinking and come into some clarity about human nature !
    You have used the very correct word : Obstinacy. It is because of our obsinate egos, that we fail to look beyond our noses or to cherish what we have. The realisation that nothing is permanent, good or bad, and " this too shall pass " paves the way to peace. Though we all realise this periodically, we dont stick to it. Thats the problem !

So glad to hear that you have a wonderful guy in your life. Best wishes, be always happy together.

Thank you very much for your response.

But, Priya, you say you went through adolescence without "knowing " Archie ! whatta pity , yaar ! But dont feel bad. If you have seen Karan Johar's early movies, take it as a small consolation, as they are based on Archie Comics ( according to K.Jo himself)

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju,

Knowing you, I was dying (yes yeas!) to know who this school hero was that led you into the desolate state..Knew there was going to be a twist in the tale! You did not disappoint me! Don't know why but my grin widened as I realized who it was that faced an imminent death! Mean me..!

Me too, like Priya, was not a huge fan of the Archie's books though have been exposed occasionally to a few. Your tip about Kjo's films of course consoled me about not having missed the happenings in there! :rotfl

Thoughts about trickling of life and the alternate possibility of going puff set me off into another bout of giggle although it should have sobered me. Well, when my time comes, hope I will have Manjureddy by my side to fill the moment with laughter? Okay, if only wishes were horses.....

In the meantime, I too shall go out and take a walk in the fresh spring air like ma friend Saby for whatever is left, I wish to enjoy it with cheer! Well, one look outside my window told me that winter returned. Maybe I shall go fry some puris and make korma instead as our TVs will not show the entertainment provided by Modi & co.

Something is totally missing in this thread Manju? Some excitement and exhillaration....How come? ;-)

Waiting for the real action here...!!

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.