1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Intimacy Issues - Improving, But Not Resolved

Discussion in 'Intimacy' started by swan02, Oct 14, 2016.

1. swan02

swan02 Silver IL'ite

Hello,

I came across several posts on this topic and would appreciate your input. My husband and I are coming close to our 1 year anniversary. We met online with a short courtship of 5 months - long distance, where we met a total of 12 days.

We got married last November, and shortly after we felt drawn to each other. However, it took us 1.5 months to consummate our marriage. I was a virgin (and my husband claims so was he). Then it took us another 1.5 months before we started being intimate again. When we would try inbetween, my husband would lose his erection when was unable to penetrate. It became a vicious cycle, and the more he tried the worse it got. We finally tried different position, I also made it very clear to my husband that this was a big problem, and we became active.

My drive is very high. I want to sexually intimate on a daily basis. However, my husband is unable to. I continuously make the move on him, and it aggravates him at times. If I stop, we can go on for a week without sexual intercourage. He used to be more physically affectionate, but has reduced over time espeically after we have had some fights on other issues in our marriage.

We are now trying to conceive and are having difficutly. Though we tried to time with ovulation, my husband can perform one day, but often needs to skip the next day, or 2 or 3. He states that he does not have enough drive if we have had sex just the previous day. We went on a trip just last month, with this being the main focus. On our 11 day trip, we were intimate 6 times.

I know that this is not as extreme as some other posts. However, I feel there is a problem. My family and a close friend, who have known of these issues from the beginning, have told me its time to take a decision. We decided that the first step is to go to a urologist. My husband and I had a huge fight over this but he eventually gave in.

I can't think of life without my husband. However, I am constantly afraid that this will be a life long battle - every little issue, and our sex life will suffer. What should I do?

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

For me your husband looks normal.Getting intimate once or twice every weak itself means he is sexually active.

swan02 likes this.
  3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Its not clear what is meant or implied by "time to take a decision". What decision ? Decision to explore fertility treatments ? Or making a decision to continue this marriage? Would you be able to clarify ?

swan02 likes this.
  4. swan02

swan02 Silver IL'ite

Decision to pursue fertility treatment and if he is unwilling then walk out

5. madras2018

Just based on what you have said said so far and let's just say, based on my experience with the alternative you are considering .. my frank opinion is that you are unlikely to divorce or if you attempt a seperation you may come to regret it.

You have possibly 2 problems - frequency & fertility. Fertility can be addressed via a number of techniques. Options include male fertility enhancement drugs, various means of artificial insemination etc.

Intimacy, sex drive, quality and frequency are also problems that can be corrected but need 2 important pre requisites
    - willingness by the male partner to acknowledge issues
    - willingness to proactively seek treatment.

Unlike fertility, handling issue #2 above is sometimes a lifelong process involving following a healthy lifestyle, diet, disciplined stress management techniques, marriage counselling to not mix up interpersonal issues with intimacy, and medicine if the issue is physiological in nature (eg low t, thyroid or other issues).

You're probably mentally flirting with the idea of divorce, due to prompting by others. But let me tell you the truth abt divorce - by the time divorce is done & if your relationship was otherwise loving as it appears to be, you will begin to feel that any compromise might have been better than the pain of seperation. The only situation when such feelings are actually untrue is if the marriage had a fundamental incurable flaw, one that is bound to reoccur amd cause the marriage to inevitably collapse.

If you decide to divorce on account of frequency alone, you will find it hard to find a more suitable man based on parameters which are hard to guage. It is hard as it is to find quality divorced men. Esp one who may meet all your other requirements that you current husband meets. It is harder to find a man where over & above all this, you can get guarantees on his sexual health. He may be in better health but for how long ? Does he have predisposition for diabetes, bp, heart & prostate issues ? Even if you meet a self admitted high libido man, how are you going to find out if he is being truthful & can sustain for the long haul ? There are possibilities that you will find yourself where you are now, if not sooner but later.

In short - given that your marriage is by no means a sexless one, and because it appears to be a loving relationship, you are better off improving your current relationship. Yes it is going to be continous effort for both of you. Yes it is unfair.

I cannot stress the bottomline enough - you have to take decisions based on what consequences you are willing to live with. .

Goodluck.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Meet9, mfbtnuae, blindpup10 and 3 others like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

It is possible you are putting off your husband with your over drive.People are different.
    Everyone has the right to say 'no'.Sex should be fun for both and not a chore.
    Try to find a midway or this problem will only increase.

Meet9, dia3, mfbtnuae and 1 other person like this.
  7. rajkumarxxx

rajkumarxxx Bronze IL'ite

Very much normal. Many healthy couple take more time also, for that.

Again this is perfectly normal for many married men. This is due to performance anxiety; any healthy adult man can get this problem at times. Sometimes the issue can last for weeks or even months. Failure to act supportively will worsen his performance anxiety , which , as a vicious cycle will make things bad further.

When you yourself, acknowledge that this is not extreme then what was the need to share this highly personal information about your husband to your friend and family ?

Assuming that your husband is , otherwise normal, this issue alone should not be a reason for separation. If there is a total lack of being intimate in him, then you have reason to think about separation. But he is able to be intimate , normally, many times.

Think twice, before taking any important decision.

Just be supportive; do not worsen his performance anxiety. He will soon be normal.

mfbtnuae and swan02 like this.
  8. swan02

swan02 Silver IL'ite

I would like to share a little bit more about our bedroom issues - and pardon the intimate details, but I am myself not sure what is normal and what is not. One issue is with my husband's errections - they are not strong. Unless I stimulate by hand, he is not able to have a sufficient erection. Infact, I have only seen him have a full blown erection once with the penis being completely erect to the point it stands. Often he needs stimulation by hand, and then is able to penetrate. Once he does penetrate he goes to completion and is able to ejaculate 90% of the time. The few times that he is unable to, it really discourages him. To the point that now he has made it a rule to not go 2 consecutive days in a row, or even skip 2-3 days, as he feels he cannot perform. He states he does not have enough prostatic fluid to perform again - which does not make sense to me. I know men have a refractory period - but it should consist of hours not days.

I have made an appointment with a urologist however I am not sure if I can convince my husband to go. THere is a chance I maybe pregnant and if thats the case, he might refuse going stating that our fertility issues are resolved. My concern is - what about our sexuality issues?

9. swan02

swan02 Silver IL'ite

My apologies again. I just saw the replies from rajkumar and yellow mango. I had only read the reply from madras2018 before. And I cannot thank you enough for your input. This is a strangers board, but hat of wise experienced people. Perhaps my immaturity, could have cost me a lifetime of happiness.

Thank you to all of you for your replies. And thank you for your honesty as well. It is mature advice that I needed. I do feel that perhaps I shared too much with friends and family and made a big deal out of things myself? Would taking him to a urologist again be a very big deal?

10. madras2018

Taking him to a urologist is not a big deal. But in reality some men may mistake this move as being that the wife is finding fault or finding him deficient in the intimacy department. So be careful how you word or handle it. A good husband will be willing to take control of his health without too much cajoling, will see a urologist and get the help he needs to keep his marriage stable and happy.

How old is your husband ? Without that info it is a bit hard to determine what is normal or not. But in general these days a lot of men in their 30s see their libido dipping and some form of ED setting in. The good thing in your case so far is that despite what it takes to get stimulated he's able to get into the act and go to completion. So that's good news. Because in cases where there is low T or thyroid issus at play or other issues, weak erections are usually also present and there is difficulty ensuring proper IC.

Indeed, some men with low libido view sex only as a means for procreation and not recreation. Also once they have kids, they feel relieved to have created a facade of normalcy to the outside world - proof that they are potent and fertile. They fail to understand the feelings of deprivation of their spouse - esp if spouse is a woman. This makes the problem partly yours to solve. That is - what if your husband stops caring abt your intimacy needs once the baby arrives. This is a genuine cause for concern. Speak to him openly abt your concerns before having a child with him.

One thing I want to add to my earlier comment - the point is not to meant in the (stereotypical) vein of asking you to compromise on sexual issues or saying it is not important in the schema of things. All i'm saying is that it appears that your issues are not unfixable. Secondly, you have already developed an attachment to him. This kind of thing is what makes separation traumatic. But if it still plays heavily on you, make the decision sooner rather than later when you have a kid etc.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016