Interview Tips

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by rajmiarun, Feb 17, 2007.

1. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Don’t be afraid to ask:
    • how long will the interview last;
    • are there any group exercises;
    • do I need to prepare anything;
    • are there any other tests or selection methods being used?
    Finding out as much as possible not only helps with your preparation but also puts your mind at ease

Make sure you:
    • know how to get to the venue and how long the journey takes;
    • have maps, train times, etc, in advance;
    • check for any planned disruptions to road or rail services;
    • leave plenty of time so you are not rushing;
    • if necessary, find out if travel and overnight accommodation are paid for;
    • if you have a disability, check the physical access to the premises and indicate any additional support that you might require in the interview.
    Try to remember to tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return (you may want to leave an address and telephone number). Beware of going into private dwellings for an interview.

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Plan what you want to take with you so that you can pack your bag in plenty of time. You should consider taking:

the interview letter, with the name(s) of the interviewer(s) and their address and phone number;

a copy of your CV and/or application form;

a note of the key points you want to make and any questions you want to ask;
    money, for a taxi in case you are running late or to make a phone call if necessary

3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Make sure you are dressed appropriately for the position for which you are being interviewed. Some companies have a much more relaxed approach to dress than others but, if in doubt, wear a suit. You won’t be criticised for being too smart but employers will notice if you walk in wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt!

Ensure that you maintain impeccable standards of personal hygiene but avoid using overpowering deodorants, aftershave or perfume.

Your hair should be neat and tidy and your shoes and clothes clean.

Avoid inappropriate jewellery. Visible body piercings, ankle chains or personalised necklaces may not be suitable. Men should restrict jewellery to cuff-links and a signet or wedding ring.

Dress appropriately. It is important that you look smart for your interview but equally important that you feel comfortable. Men should avoid short-sleeved shirts and gimmicky ties or socks. Socks, by the way, should never be white. Women should avoid very short skirts, very high heels and heavy make-up.

4. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

How to Dress for an Interview

Women
    • Solid color, conservative suit
    • Coordinated blouse
    • Moderate shoes
    • Limited jewelry
    • Neat, professional hairstyle
    • Tan or light hosiery
    • Sparse make-up & perfume
    • Manicured nails
    • Portfolio or briefcase
    Men
    • Solid color, conservative suit
    • White long sleeve shirt
    • Conservative tie
    • Dark socks, professional shoes
    • Very limited jewelry
    • Neat, professional hairstyle
    • Go easy on the aftershave
    • Neatly trimmed nails
    • Portfolio or briefcase

5. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear RajmiArun,

WoW !!!! You shared very useful and informative post, I think my frnd definitely need all this information. I really appreciate for your good efforts...
    I have a question that I went to one work shop here. They strictly advised us not to use the perfume during the interview time. Because some of the interviewers may not like the perfume smell. But for her she is allergitic to perfumes. I think that's not for every one. It's just for some who don't like strong perfumes I guess....

Thanq very much & keep the good work going!!

Love
    Tej:wave