1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Interracial marriage - the good, the bad and the ugly.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by hope4happiness, May 14, 2011.

1. hope4happiness

hope4happiness New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

I want share my story in the hope of getting some advice, perhaps support, or even just your opinion... I know interracial marriage can be a soft spot for some but I would rather not read discrimination....

OK, here goes....

I met my partner about two years ago. When I met him, I really didn't think I would fall for him like I did. He was cheeky, sweet and kind - really hard working and strong... How could I not fall in love?

He was born in Punjab and came to Australia to study and work so he could help support his family. I have never been out of Australia.... When his family kept suggesting to him it was time to marry, he decided to tell them about me. I'm vegetarian and don't drink so they were reasonably good about him wanting to marry a "white girl".

We moved in together. Although we are not married his parents were OK with this, I think they actually preferred it as I was living in a share house rather than with my parents. Although I have a very close, loving relationship with my parents I moved out to study when I was 18, I probably would have stayed at home, but university was too far to travel each day.

Anyway, his family sent his mother to live with us for some time. I love her dearly and from what I hear, for a MIL, I am very lucky! She returned to India some time ago now...
    The relationship I have with my partner has changed a lot since we moved in together, MIL arrived and left. It seemed that while she was here he didn't really have to have much to do with me, I was just someone to bring him food and go to bed with. And since she has left, this has carried on.

He drinks often, I don't drink at all and I was bought up in a family where, although my father drank, it was one or two and I never saw him intoxicated/drunk. When he drinks he gets verbally abusive. A few weeks ago I refused him in the bedroom as he was too drunk. His response was to threaten to beat me until my face bleed. That sentence has since echoed in my mind, it causes pain every time I think of it. I've cried and cried over this episode and even had to take a few days off work as I couldn't pull myself together. He has pushed me before but not hit my face.

He is controlling... He does not like me to go out, except when I go to work. If I want to go out I have to ask, and even if he says yes he makes me feel guilty about it. I only have two close friends and when I go out we either go to the shops, have lunch or have coffee and talk. I do not go out in the evenings at all.

A lot of the time he stares at the computer screen, watching Hindi movies or playing on the net. He goes out a couple of times a week, usually to a friends house. He doesn't like to go out in public with me, from his comments I've come to the conclusion that its because he is ashamed. He wants me to lose weight. He doesn't like to talk or watch a movie I can understand (I only understand very little Punjabi).

Occasionally I see the man I fell in love with, but we argue so much. He wants me to be the "perfect Indian wife"... I can't be the person he wants me to be.... I know I am a kind, good person. I work hard and I respect people around me... But still.... He blames me for everything, "An Indian wife would do better", "I could go back to India and marry a beautiful, educated Indian women in a second", "You don't get to do what you want anymore, you are an Indian wife now".....

In the past I never would have put up with this.... I would have been out the door in a second. I know I am worth more than this. But I love him... and I fear for the shame and pain I might cause him and his family if I left. Who would look after him?? What would people say?? So many of his friends made fun of him when he became involved with me. I feel as if I would be proving them all right. That I am just a "hopeless white girl"....

He warned me things would be hard, but I thought I would have his support. I thought he would be the man I knew and loved, rather than a stranger half the time...

I don't know what to do. I don't think he is happy with me. And I'm only happy 50% of the time... I miss the good man... I miss being a partnership, a team.... The plan is to marry in 10-12 months.... But if we aren't happy, won't it just get worse? Can I ever be good enough for him?

I have tried talking to him about this, but his only response is that I knew that I was marrying a Punjabi man.

I'm confused, hurt, tired... :cry:

Any advice???

Witsend

Hope4Happiness

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Welcome to IL....You have found wonderful site to discuss your problems with....

Why dont you ask him " why he didnt think about your not being Indian bother him before you moved in with him?"

3. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

I think this man is urging YOU to take the first step to break up. I may be wrong but this is just an idea.His mother/family must have asked him to break ties with you and he is pushing you to say it. At this rate,you will not be happy with him.Dont worry who will support him if you leave him.He will get many "good Indian girls" to pick from. Dont worry what his friends think about you.Let them laugh at you..what do you care?You know who you are! Just get out from this relationship.YOU need to be happy.Think about yourself first and then think about others.Coming to the point of you loving him...think hard.Will the man you love make you cry? Marriage is about adjustments but this compromise has to be from both ends. You cannot be the person to do it always. When he puts some effort from his side,you will be happy in making some compromises too and vice versa.
    Sorry to say,but the man you loved has become a monster and you are better off without him.Take care and let us know when you are fine and done with this abusive relationship.

4. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Let me ask you something. I'm not trying to hurt you, but it's just something I've noticed and I'm curious to know. A lot of times when I meet white women in relationships with Indian men, the white women tries to be Indian. Like, she will dress up Indian, sometime even change her name to an Indian name, try to learn hindi (even though her husband/boyfriend speaks english too), and she will bend over backwards to win her inlaws approval and totally neglect her own family.

Why? I mean, what is wrong with just being yourself? When he says you are an Indian wife now, why can't you just tell him you are not Indian? Why are you ashamed of being white or Australian or whatever you identify as? I think you need to stop this Indian crap and BE YOURSELF.

As for 'who' would look after him.... please. He is a grown man. He is capable of taking care of himself. Maybe it is easier with you doing the household work, but if you were not there, he would simply start doing it himself. You seem to have this distorted view of the world where you are the perfect Indian wife, he is a helpless toddler, and society is fixated on your relationship. The reality is, you are not Indian, he is not helpless, and society see's breakups all the time, so if you want to break up and move on... it's not going to be the end of the world.

As for what people would say.... isn't it more important how YOU feel in the relationship? If you aren't happy, or if he is just going to keep being controlling and abusive, then what's the point? You have to make decisions based on what's best for you.

Also, don't let him fool you into thinking Indian wives love to get abused or controlled. Read these forums... there are many Indian women who stood up against their husbands to put an end to abuse. Nobody likes to be dominated... not an Indina girl, not a Chinese girl, or an American, etc. Nobody likes it. He is taking advantage of YOUR desire to fit into HIS culture by saying that Indian women do xyz... knowing that it will make you second guess yourself and conform to what he wants.

Sometimes it happens... when you are dating, a person shows you their BEST side. And then after sometime, they start to show their true colors. Just be thankful you aren't married to him or don't have children with him. At least now you see what this relationship is really all about, and can make a decision accordingly. Don't be afraid of hurting his feelings by dumping him. Afterall, he is obviously NOT afraid to hurt YOUR feelings. Australia is a big country, definitely there is some other guy out there who won't treat you the way he does. Good luck!

5. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

At this point, run while you still can.

6. Umlaut

Umlaut Silver IL'ite

7. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

I agree with all these members. Have pride. Leave hm. There is no use of living or marrying to a guy who doesn't give you respect.

Don't let hm abuse and control you. Get out.

You don't need to change your life style for others. It is nice that you want to respect your respect Indian culture because your partner. But changing completely, it is not good. Be yourself.

You have a good job and family. Dump this guy.

all the best.

CL

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

This guy has done nothing to merit your consideration. Think of yourself and your long term interests first. You have seen his true colours already. Why would you want to marry him and put yourself in a super mess? Let him find his "perfect Indian bride" in "2 minutes". That is not your concern. When this guy is not worth his salt, why would even spare a thought for what his friends think of you? Just get out of this relationship and move on with your life.

All the best.

1 person likes this.
  9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Just leave him .He does not deserve you.He is just cheating you by saying the "perfect Indian wife" stuff.What does he mean , he will get a well educated girl who will listen to him no matter what and take his beatings?He is just lying to you or he is just dreaming.Didn't he know that he was going to marry a white lady and not an Indian?Who is he fooling here?

I think, this is a typical case where the Indian man flirts and have affair with a foreign lady and then tries to put up a image that you are not upto his expectation.It is not your fault.Dump this guy.

On the other hand why do you have to bend so much to be accepted?When you bend so much you loose your originality and dignity(any national) and you will be taken for granted.Next time he tries to say something like "Indian wife" stuff tell him that you know his definition of "Indian wife" and ask him to find one if he can and walk off.

10. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI,

In an inter racial relationship, invariably one partner adapts more than the other...if you are lucky the issues at hand are something like becoming a vegetarian or participating in your favorite outdoor event. On the other end of the spectrum are issues like supporting family members, place of residence, etc.

But a good relationship has to be based on respect-even when the emotions grow or wane, if there is respect both partners will listen to each other's concerns and change or at least explain.

I have seen the exact opposite of what you have described too-where the woman was so controlling and insulting in public that I had to leave the room as I couldn't bear to see the guy's face. But this was not the beginning of the problem-it was a well set behavior pattern and should have been addressed right at the beginning.

You say he pushed you once before-that was the turning point-not when he threatened to beat you in your face. Don't settle for the 50% happiness...if he will not acknowledge that there is a problem, get out of the relationship. If you break up, the fault is at his end. You can not control what others say and besides you won't be hearing it either...you can't try to protect him from his own behavior and stay happy yourself. He is an adult. Let him face the consequences of his actions.

R