1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Internet, Blogging, emails - a way of life or addiction?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by myfairlady, Mar 27, 2008.

1. myfairlady

myfairlady New IL'ite

Friends,

This one is a controversial question I think. That too asked in a blogsite. Name me copurageous or insipid. I am going ahead and asking this question.

My take is internet is definitely an Addiction.

I have seen people who would become mad if they had not checked their email for even one day. They would be on a holiday and would still check their office emails so that to ensure that they are in control. (Atleast that's what I say when I do check )[​IMG]

I have encountered some people who would say that their life is meaningless without internet. They would get on to the blog site, and post articles just about everything. Ask them to use the internet as a super info highway, they would just say "I have better things to do".

I read in one article in a newspaper that one of the teenager in US, goes mad if she is not getting an email or a scrap book entry. So to avoid her child's disapointment, mom has created pseudo names and would communicate to the child, just to keep the child happy.

Where are we heading? Do the parents need pseudo names to communicate with the child? this is something ridiculous.

Another friend of mine shared that one of her friend's spouse was living in US alone. The wife befriended the husband with a pseudo name and came to know that the husband was making moves to ditch the marriage and elope with another girl. She came and cried to my friend and my friend counseled her to wake up to the fact that she needs to be with him. She wasn't prepared to leave her government job to join him in US.
    Spying your own husband with pseudo names? This is not a good sign.

Your comments are welcome.

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

MFL,
    Yes I do agree internet does get addictive. I can speak for myself .I do spend some good amount of time in front of my PC and guess what ?,...I dont consider it inanimate anymore... The latest addiction we all will agree is IL, but i guess this is a welcome addiction.Call it what you want an addiction, hobby, routine, necessity but yes its there in a BIG way!!

As far as the mother befriending the kid with pseudo names, I am sure the mother must be having some reason to do as . You know mothers always have a rational and emotional reason to do the things they do.She probably feels at this tender age its very easy to lose confidence in oneself. Now for e.g when its christmas time I tell my daughter that Santa's left a gift for her, And at that point I am the Santa. Do you think thats wrong. I merely dont want to see her hurt .

At the age of fidelity going for a toss ,and a redefinition interms of a lot of modern marriages where sanctity is a big question mark, a lot of people are taking the help of detectives to check out on their spouses. Your last incident where the spouse plans to elope is very sismilar to the move Mitr my friend , with Shobana playing the lead,

Regards,
    Devika

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I agree with you... Internet has become an addiction.
    I can add cell phones, black berry to the list of addiction.

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Too much pampering me thinks...

In those days people did survive without TV, cellphones and what not.. I think if you ask me, if they take of everything for me will I survive. Ofcourse I will and all others who say they can't live without it. Because when it comes to that ultimatum our priorities change :)

Its just that everything is available right now and we tend to make the most use of it ;-) but will I cry and go crazy if these are not there - Nope.

5. Venonimiss

Venonimiss Bronze IL'ite

I totally agree. Internet can be a perfect addiction, with all the stuff it enables us to do - right from our email (daily communication), chats, news, music, videos, websites, blogs, photo and video sharing, online classes, online shopping, knowledge and experience sharing etc..etc. I could go on like this for ever!
    The key is to not to get caught in the world wide web, but to intelligently set your priorities and needs and make a simple and useful routine out of it.

6. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Dear giri,
    I also agree with u. Internet can be a addiction, - we are all using fac.like,.....
    chats, news, music, railway videos, all websites, photo sharing ,shopping knowledge about mobile sites.
    without internet connection,life smooth pogathu endru Ganesh solluvar.
    2 naal net connection illaina, he will keep on .........call the person & correct the thing immediately.

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

My Fair Lady,

Not a controversial blog, but an interesting one.

I agree.We are becomign addicted to the net.And the main culprit is Broadband where we dont have to pay the bill for the phone and internet hours as before.

And cheap things do get misused.I read that Venezeula in South America , has the cheapest petrol like 3/- a litre, cheaper than water.
    People just fill the full tank in those old fuel guzzling Cars.That;s misuse .

But i feel it is better than gossiping.But here i use the net to gossip about Rakhee Sawant, and others, so a gossiper like me will never change his habits.Big Laugh

The spying examples u told me are strange really.Must be happening, really.Nothing surprises me these days.

good blog.Regards.kamal

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Giri
    Its very interesting topic:) Its todays way of life. I too check the internet everyday sometimes a few times a day.. just time pass.. not into movies and such..lot of people watch t.v or movies all the time or most of the time too.. this is another thing more for the educated I would say..
    Regarding checking emails on vacation my husband has to do it.. many issues will wait fo rhim so he has to..everyone in his office do the same too.. just a few minutes a day..Its todays work culture not control culture:) hope u dont mind my disagreeing:)