1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Intermittent Fasting And Family's Dinner Time

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Rihana, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you (mom) need to have your dinner by 6 pm and the rest of the family finishes dinner only by 8 pm, what do you do? What does your evening look like? Do you join them at the dining table when they are having dinner?

I don't want to miss mealtime conversations as a family. But I just sitting at the dining table or hanging around in the kitchen while they have dinner is making my overall "time spent on dinner" too long.

Wondering what folks do if their dinner happens earlier than the family's.

2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Can you move your window from 10 -> 6 to 12 -> 8.

Rihana likes this.
  3. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

I did this for a while. Ate at 7 while my family ate at 9.

So during this time, i usually was on my feet serving them food and walking around the table to give myself those extra steps to complete the day's goal.

If i was too exhausted to walk around, i just sat at my place and chopped veggies for the next day's meal. That was a life saver for me.

Rihana and peet1983 like this.
  4. Rihana

I tried 16 hours IF for 3.5-4 months and could shed not even a single pound for good. In spite of less calories going in than before and only water/ green tea during the fasting time, my weight hovered around the same number. I read the Jason Fung book and other articles of do's and don'ts. Nothing really helped with weight loss. I did reap the other IF benefits like less bloated-ness, more active, and overall a better feeling in body and mind.

I want to try 18 hours for 2 months along with a more strict keeping track of calories. 12 to 6pm is the ideal time. Most likely I will have to compromise and make it 1-7 pm. But I also want to wake up around 6:00 am... : ) can't be hungry till 1 pm.. and that is the gist of my beautiful first world issues. : )

5. Rihana

That's kind of what I used to do. Do some chores in the kitchen or read a book or complete some "need to google" tasks between my dinner and theirs. That worked nicely pre-pandemic. Now, after three years of all at home, I just want to cut down the time I spend in the kitchen. I secretly wish all finished dinner with me at 6pm or latest 6:30 and kitchen was closed. : ) I can switch to post-dinner mode of TV, reading, writing only if the kitchen light is off. : )

Anyway, all small stuff.. I am now in the stage where I have outsourced half of the week's meals (lucky to have healthy food pickup options nearby). I cook about 4 dishes a week max. And not my job to cleanup. : )

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I eat at my time. Sometimes kids join me, sometimes not. Honestly, I find it easier to focus on conversing with them after I have eaten. I sit with them and catch up with school work. Husband is either physically at work or in meetings and doesn't eat until after 7:30pm, so we don't wait for him. I eat, kids eat and I clean up and close shop by 7. Husband eats when he is done and I sit with him. We don't necessarily talk all the time but we do sit together. We save the family meals for the weekends. It's just more practical that way.

Rihana likes this.
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Sharing my story--Had a similar experience with IF - 16 hrs , and cardio exercise -- no change in weight or inches at all. Tried it for 5 months. It didnt make any mathematical sense that my calorie intake was less than my tdee yet no weight loss. How was that even possible ? Somehow it seems my body adapted to function within what it received. Or the hormonal upheaval my body was undergoing was invalidating laws of maths :-D

Slowly moved to less carb , added in more fats, cut sugar and increased IF to 18 hrs, didnt bother about much calories-- if anything I am sure I took in more calories than with 16 hr IF as added in generous amounts of ghee, butter and nuts daily. And that finally worked lost about 9-10 pounds that was more than my goal and a couple of inches off my waist ( yay!). Yeah no logic , just sharing what worked for me

That was 2020-2021. Now slacking a bit , trying to be in maintenance mode -- do 14-16 hrs, add in 1 roti/ little rice etc occasionally.

Thoughtful and Rihana like this.
  8. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Congratulations on your success!!

I think the devil is in the details. If possible, can you share what you eat/drink when you go with less carbs and no sugar. How do you stay filled? What kind of physical activities did you do ( you mentioned cardio, can you expand on this bit )