Intercaste marriage and rituals.

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Mitran1982, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Mitran1982

Mitran1982 New IL'ite

Namaskarams!
    I would like some advices.
    I am married to a Kerala Nair Girl. I am tamil Brahmin. My brother is yet to get married. My mother is widow.
    We would like to perform Sumangali prarthanai. Now the situation is whether my wife could take part in this function. Or should we perform not asking her to participate in Sumangali Prarthanai. Kindly I need some guidance and advices.

Regards.

Mitran

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

2. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Hi mitran,

it would depend on your own personal choice and the interest of family members and close relatives...

In my opinion, it is done for tn well being of the family and it's new members. There is a claim that it's done for sumangalis of the family who had been successfully running the family and guarding the home. As pithrukkal. I do no know why outsiders are not allowed. But I feel that. Every daughter in law has he. Right to join the functions as it's done for the well being of the family seeking the blessings of the elders. Relatives and. Brahmins are invited as to ensure tHat those who attend. Follow madi. So any one who can understand the essence of. The ritual and can be. Mentally clean is eligible. :)

I. Am. A non brahmin dil to a. Brahmin family.i am not. Involved in such functions and did not have one after. My marriage. Even my sil who married a brahmin but of another language is not allowed.

I feel that this is a Beautiful ritual that brings a girl closer to her family of in laws and hence they should be involved. It's high time this things has been changed. If the. New daughter in law is allowed. To be a part she would be. Very happy and it makes more sense as it's mainly for those ladies who had been daughters in law of the lineage.

I apologise if my comments have. Hurt any one because I know it's a. Very sensitive topic. But I just gave My two cents. I did not Intend to hurt any one.

2 people like this.
  3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

The moment differentiation starts, under the pretext of rituals/poojas, the sole purpose of marriage is lost somewhere and no one can ever find it.

3 people like this.
  4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

I don't think this question need to be discussed. She is your family now, she can perform. In my extended family there was not even a discussion on this issue, when my cousin married to a non-brahmin girl. Just after their marriage, sumangali prarthanai was performed and she was very well part of it.

sindmani and blissofmylife like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

once she is your wife, she has all the rights to do sumangali prathanai. and if people are not willing to join, find people who are willing to be part of it. do not hurt her by excluding her in the function.

this is my opinion. and i am a nb dil and i have been performing the sumangali prarthanai for the past 20 years. it is all about the support from your mother and you.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mitran1982

Mitran1982 New IL'ite

Namaskarams!
    Thank you all for the valuable and heartfilling guidance. Thank you all. Definitely I shall make her participate in the function. We will be carrying out the function in a temple where the wives of poor prohithars are present. So definitely I shall make her part of our family and carry out the rituals.
    Thank you all.

Regards.

Mitran

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. blissofmylife

blissofmylife Silver IL'ite

I am surprised!! A real brahmin shouldn't even ask such questions.. First of all, it is a prayer, do you think your wife is incapable of praying for the good of others? If not, she can very well be part of it.. And for all those, so called "Brahmins", who are being doubtful about it.. Tell them, during the wedding, when Gothra Parivarthana happens, and your wife has already become integral part of your lineage...

Whatever caste she belongs to by birth, doesn't matter..

I am myself a Brahmin and understand the essence of the rituals..
    So please don't take for being rude..