Instant Pot - Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kkrish, Dec 16, 2016.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi folks, is this very different from one-shot cooking in a pressure cooker and if so what is the difference?

kkrish likes this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sats @satchitananda
    Instant Pot is a brand name of an electric pressure cooker in US.
    There are many brands of electric pressure cookers in US and also around the world.

We all seem to own the Instant pot and have made it a generic term to refer to electric pressure cookers. Think of it as using the word "coke" for all carbonated cola drinks; that's all.

The main advantage is the cooker shuts itself off when the time is up, as opposed to the traditional pressure cookers (Prestige)requiring us to stay close, count the whistles, check the time, and manually switch off the stove.

So far there has been no report of cooker blasts also.

The recipes posted here are ways to use this pressure cooker for various types of food.

Many recipes featured here are OPOS style - the variety rices, pasta, etc. Some are not OPOS.

You can adapt the OPOS recipes for the traditional pressure cooker also.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Kamala. Will check them out.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda source it from us rather than indian brands though the indian brand has 8 indianised programmes. Preethi has it. I shared a link and video too in a post here. Look at the demo for more clear idea.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    satchitananda likes this.
  5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

And the other main plus on the Instant Pot is the stainless steel inner pot, most other cookers like this come with a teflon coated non-stick inner pot that many do not prefer these days!

Induslady and satchitananda like this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Couple of questions...
    What kind of oats did u use instant/old fashioned-rolled/steel cut? I can recommend based on the type.
    If its the former two then rice mode would be too much to cook oats. Quinoa is a heartier grain so rice mode works well.
    Burnt stuff at the bottom means the inner pot was not deglazed .
    Let me explain. Once u saute the veggies ..after u add the grain and the water..make sure u scrape the bottom well with a spatula before u close the lid. This step ensures that nothing sticks to the bottom.
    For quinoa the ratio of grain to water is 1:2 ..for oats it would be much less . I have never experimented with oats in IP....on my todo list after ur post now.

Induslady likes this.
  7. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @JAG for your reply. Yes, I used old fashioned oats, I guess I should try manual mode (4-5mins) next time. Also, like your tips about scraping and deglazing the bottom. Will remember!

@peartree

I have so far done pasta in IP twice following your recipe. All gone, slurped completely by family :) WOW what a joy not having to stand nearby the cooking pasta and check if it's cooked enough (or) isn't getting over cooked.

Pasta-in-IP.jpg

kkrish likes this.
  8. freelancerdia

freelancerdia New IL'ite

Lovely I am going try few recipes posted here this week.

9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Avial

Ingredients

1) Coconut oil
    2) Curry leaves
    3) Potatoes
    4) Carrots
    5) Beans
    6) Peas
    7) Scrapped coconut
    8) Red chili
    9) Cumin seeds
    10) Butter Milk

Making Instructions:

1) Put on Saute mode and fry curry leaves and cumin seeds in coconut oil
    2) Place all vegetables in the Instant pot and pour the required water and salt (I put one cup of water for vegetables for three of us). Put it in Manual mode for 7 minutes after it is boiled, release the pressure by moving the weight into vent mode
    3) Mix scrapped coconut and red chili in a Mixie and add that paste to the vegetables and mix it with the vegetables. Allow that to boil for a few minutes in Saute mode
    4) After boiling for a few minutes, add buttermilk at the end and put it in warm mode for keeping it warm for serving.

IL Instant Pot Avial 04282017.jpg

10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

:yum:...so where do u live @Viswamitra ?Coming home for dinner...I can smell the avial here.
    Reminds me its been a while since I made it. Will try it in IP soon.