Instant Pot - Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kkrish, Dec 16, 2016.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I think because our regular pressure cooker gaskets are made of rubber they lose shape in the dishwasher. My usual rubber gaskets, I have to stick it into the freezer even after regular pressure cooker use for a bit to get it to properly work again.

IP rings are silicone, so subjecting to that kind of heat doesn't do anything to it, I guess.

Laks09 likes this.
  2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How long did you keep in the Beans/Chilli mode?

I recall vaguely someone mentioning in a ladies get-together that in the slow-cook mode, channa/rajma/whole green moong need no prior soaking. Has anyone tried it? If yes, how long do we leave it in the slow cook mode?

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I haven't done slow cook mode ..but for my rajma (red kidney beans,black and white chana,whole urad,whole mung)35 min manual high pressure vent closed .NPR.Comes out perfect.
    All the slow cooker recipes for chole/rajma seem to call for pre-soaked beans.

Induslady likes this.
  4. Rajijb

Rajijb Silver IL'ite

I have tried Rajma and dal makhni, without pre soaking the dried beans, in the beans/chili mode. I was pleasantly surprised how Well cooked the beans were. I did let it sit in the "Keep warm" phase for an extra 30 minutes.

Induslady likes this.
  5. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How many minutes cooking in the beans/chilli mode?

6. justanothergirl

Edited to add
    The beans were not pre-soaked.35 min high pressure is essentially the bean /chili mode if I remember right.

Induslady likes this.
  7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Pre-soaked rajma on manual 30 min HP manual did not work for me on Sunday :-( I had to then transfer it to a regular pressure cooker for 3-4 more whistles for the rajma to cook perfectly because I had a bunch of hungry people longingly looking at my IP!!

I did however once do 40 min on bean/chili mode for unsoaked chana and it turned out pretty good consistency wise, although it seemed like it needed a little more salt. The gravy seemed salty enough, but the chana itself did not seem to have absorbed the salt enough.

It seems like a hit or miss with unsoaked beans.. it probably depends on a lot of factors like quantity etc.

8. justanothergirl

Its funny u say that...for me soaked rajma does not work either in IP. Always works in regular cooker
    Dry beans works in IP every single time. Go figure!

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

For all those looking at a indian version of ip there are few in the market. Croma has its own with 6 programmes. I saw preethi and i liked the 8 programmes in in it like pongal, chana and other food. But what made me think again was the size or depth. 5ltrs it says but feels small and i would like the inside in stainless steel.
    Have shelved it for now. Will wait for few options. Dh asksed, in a state where if you consume 500 units you pay 1330 and 501 you end up paying 2127, do you really want one??:anguished: Valid questiom

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Induslady
    I see you received many responses.
    I never cook dry beans and channa without soaking them.
    I read that soaking in water with some baking soda and throwing away the soaked water plus 2 or 3 more rinses helps remove the enzymes that produce flatulence.
    The beans and chili mode is 30 minutes.

I have not yet used slow cooking in Instant pot. But I have used crock pot earlier to make Chole. I used cooked channa and let it cook for 3 to 3.5 hours.

Amica and Induslady like this.