Instant Pot - Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kkrish, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@justanothergirl - vinegar with dish soap makes its sparkling clean. I read it on one of the blogs. I used it to try and get rid of the BBB smell from the lid but the smell persists. It sparkles though.
    Now I'm doing a PhD in removing the smell from the rubber gasket. Prestige has that nailed down. The gasket never holds the smell of food!

Rihana and justanothergirl like this.
  2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

JAG, usually running a steam cycle for 3 minswith vinegar, baking soda and dish soap works for me. It seems to loosen up food particles that might be stuck and it is then easier to clean.

As for the food odors, I usually stick the gasket in the dishwasher and that seems to help some. I have different rings though, for masala, non-masala and rice/dessert. So far, I have managed to not mix them up.

Rihana, Laks09 and justanothergirl like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Easy simple quinao
    1.5 cups Thinly sliced cabbage, carrots, green peppers, green onions
    1tbsp of ginger greenchillies coriander paste
    Soak 1/2 cup of quinao with 1 cup water
    On saute mode add 1bsp olive oil when hot
    Add vegetables saute for a min add green chilli paste and saute for another 2 minutes
    Add quinao with soaked water , Salt
    Turn to manual mode
    Cook on low pressure for 12 mins with whistle sealed.
    Wait until the pressure is released
    Turned out fluffy and yummy

Amica, Laks09, Rihana and 1 other person like this.
  4. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm a late-kate IP owner, couldn't resist posting in this thread some questions :)

JAG, for beans parupusili, did you keep the beans in pyrex glass bowl in the bottom of the pot on a trivet? Coarsely ground dhals in the steel container on top of the glass container?

The steel containers you linked in Amazon are out of stock. So I'm willing to risk my glass bowl :)

Laks, your red cabbage and rice combination cooking, did you put the cabbage directly in the main pot at the bottom with the steel container (cooking rice) in the middle? Did you use a trivet for the container?

PS: I decided to go for IP when someone told me I can turn it on set the timer and step out for errands, no need to rush back to switch off fearing things getting burnt at the bottom!

justanothergirl, kkrish and Laks09 like this.
  5. Laks09

Yes. I used the main pot for cabbage dal, placed the trivet and placed the Pyrex bowl with rice on the trivet. I got this tip from the Facebook group where someone made sambar in the main pot and placed rice and also cooked some potatoes on the lid used to cover the rice.

I bought mine because my rice cooker broke :)

I also bought the following to go with it -

Ekovana Stackable Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker Steamer Insert Pans with lid

Instant Pot Silicone Mitts (Set of 2), Mini, Red ( so useful to get the little containers out even though my DH says the tongs were good enough)

Netany Colorful Instant Pot Silicone Sealing Ring, Sweet and Savory Edition, Pack of 3

Instant Pot Tempered Glass Lid, Stainless Steel Rim, for 5 Qt/L or 6 Qt/L Models

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Soak for some time before cooking?

jskls likes this.
  7. Laks09

I have different rings and have got good fragrances on all of them:flushed:
    Does it lose it's shape in the dishwasher? I used to do it with the cooker gasket and found it lost its elasticity quickly. I even put it in the fridge after getting it out of the DW but still.

8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Yes for 10 mins approximately

Rihana likes this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Welcome to the IP club :blush:! Yes I put the beans in the pyrex bowl and the ground dal in the steel container above.

Induslady likes this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I had unexpected visitors (couple )over weekend after I just finished making tea for those at home.
    3 corelle cups went in with milk+water+ sugar + chai masala+ 2 tea bags in each.
    5 min manual. NPR.
    Throw the tea bags . No extra vessel to clean (not even the strainer). Cups go straight to dishwasher. :banana:
    Moral of the story : Corelle cups survive in IP :) go forth and conquer dear ladies!
    PS: 2 tea bags per cup might be too strong depending on the brand.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    coolmum, Amica, kkrish and 1 other person like this.