1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Insecure, doubtful & abusive ILs

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ShilpaMa, Sep 29, 2009.

1. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

How to essentially deal with such In Laws:
    1) Who are completly insecure after marrying off their son.
    2) Constantly frustrating son and DIL for staying in a different city within India.
    3) Now openly abusive in their visits.. after 6 yrs of marrying their son with small children.
    4) Yearly escalating petty disagreement between son & DIL and calling up DIL's parents to severe all ties and dire consequences.
    5) Cornoring DIL and all supporting each other for every wrong they do & say.
    6) If their son tries to support his wife then further frustration & abuses for him.
    7) ILs are apparently educated and had been living in metro over 40 yrs but the abusiveness is not at all gone.. this is not just for DIL but also for elderly servants.
    8) FIL absolutely clear at the time of marriage for no dowry but MIL is a typical greedy lady who would wait for even hospital food on discharge day.
    9) MIL speaks nicely to DIL but constantly fuels her son against DIL & her fly even in front of servants.
    10) MIL always ready to keep her son's bed either in their room or hall on pretext of distrubance by a small child.
    11) MIL cannot stand anyone talking nicely to DIL, any appreciation for her and even her own kids approaching/ calling out to her.
    I know all marriages are not perfect and you have to make efforts to keep it going atleast for the sake of children to ensure that they get a better upbringing.
    But how to deal with above points when your husband is in agreement & aware of wrong going on but cannot take any step to calm his aging parents.
    As a result of this unrest at 6th year we're now just sharing a house & a few moments with children and nothing more.. how can this relation be further improved given the fact that son cannot leave his parents and MIL cannot stop hating DIL.

In addition to above the ILs have ensured that :
    1) Son's bank accounts have nominee as only mother.
    2) Sons's office PF & gratuty etc have 100% contribution to mother.
    3) Car bought by DIL is in their son's name.
    Despite all these efforts they blame the DIL's fly for interference & provocation.

2. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

Hi Shilpa
    I'm in the same boat for pts 1-11... seems like a re-play of my life...
    Only on the financial part its different as mainly I control that and all we have is jointly held by DH and I
    I've been married 15+yrs.. so whats the solution?
    well I've had countless number of meaningless,pointless, immature fights with DH.. spoilt our health and relationship till one fine day I realised that my MIL wasn't worth it.
    Infact I've just put up a post regarding this topic.. wonder when will all this change?
    K

3. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

1) Who are completly insecure after marrying off their son.

Leave them on their own.. Let them live with their insecurity. No point in convincing them over and over that their SON IN MARRIED AND NOT ADOPTED !

2) Constantly frustrating son and DIL for staying in a different city within India.

Again, nothing much can be done. WHen they say they are frustrated, simply say Oh, you had already said this the last time... so, I guess, we have nothing more to talk / my baby is whining too like his grandmom so I need to go ! ( this was on a lighter note.. :) ! )

3) Now openly abusive in their visits.. after 6 yrs of marrying their son with small children.

STOP then when they get abusive. TELL them, you dont like to hear such weird talks. If they have any problem, they need to be DECENT ! Else, please DO NOT TALK !

4) Yearly escalating petty disagreement between son & DIL and calling up DIL's parents to severe all ties and dire consequences.

Now, this is your fault. How can you keep quite when they call your parents ? WHy cant you putyour foot right down theirs and tell them, DONT BEHAVE LIKE SCHOOL KIDS ! Your son married an adult, you have an issue, TALK to me ! Not to my parents ! Ask your parents to NOT entertain ANY calls from them, when the tone goes haywire ! Ask them to tell your inlaws to deal with you directly.. They dont really bother much about cutting ties with your inlaws, rather would do it themselves, if this continues ! Your parents can simply stop taking any calls from them ! They deserve to be in peace..

5) Cornoring DIL and all supporting each other for every wrong they do & say.

Who is ALL ? If this ALL includes your hubby, then time to retrospect your relationship with him. Do not blame inlaws if your hubby is accusing you of all the mistakes his parents do ! It simply means, he is not using his brains.
    But if the ALL doesnt include your hubby, DOES IT MATTER AT ALL, when YOUR FAMILY IS FINE. I dont say, it is easy.. but it shouldnt matter so much ! Ask them to back off and tell them you are getting SICK of them !

6) If their son tries to support his wife then further frustration & abuses for him.

Now, that is upto the son to handle ! If the son knows his wife is not at fault and is being supportive, then he better learn to handle parents too.. I guess, you need to bother more about what is told about you than worry what little is told about their son.. End of the day, THEY WILL LOVE HIM .. See, that is the DIFFERENCE ! :)

7) ILs are apparently educated and had been living in metro over 40 yrs but the abusiveness is not at all gone.. this is not just for DIL but also for elderly servants.

For now, worry about family issues, leave aside the characters' attitude in general !

8) FIL absolutely clear at the time of marriage for no dowry but MIL is a typical greedy lady who would wait for even hospital food on discharge day.

How does that matter to you. If she wants to wait for hospital food, let her. If she is asking for dowry, warn her about cops ! Simply tell her NO !

9) MIL speaks nicely to DIL but constantly fuels her son against DIL & her fly even in front of servants.

GIve her a taste of her own ! Give away sarcastic remarks and laugh it off on her face... if that is going to ease your mind.

Let me point you something here .. the same domestic helpers are bad mouthed by her isnt ? So, you think those helpers would in any way be soo bothered as you are.. ? They consider the bad mouthing as trash and move on. WHy dont you ??
    Just smile at the helper and ask her to go work and not waste time on such silly talks.. :) I am sure, the helper will be as thrilled as you would be !! :thumbsup

10) MIL always ready to keep her son's bed either in their room or hall on pretext of distrubance by a small child.

And what is the SON doing then ? Leave it to him to be a MAN, here !

11) MIL cannot stand anyone talking nicely to DIL, any appreciation for her and even her own kids approaching/ calling out to her.

There are many people who would be disliking you .. Do you go about feeling bad about everyone ? So, why care even !

Shilpa, not everyone are pleased living with such inlwas.. I know. But when you have no way out, you simply have to fight it YOUR WAY, YOUR STYLE !! Now, dont tell me, it is easier said than done. It is not difficult to stand up for yourself, Shilpa ! Really . You just need to be bold and fight your own battle.. When you have a supportive husband who knows, you arent at fault and you have been tolerating quite a lott.. and is helpless too , what miracle do you expect could happen ?

Get practical, learn to say ENOUGH and STOP IT ! You dont have scream yor lungs out, you simply have to be firm and TALK ! That is all.

Dont look at yourself in pity... Simply wake yourself up and TELL people to LISTEN !

In addition to above the ILs have ensured that :
    1) Son's bank accounts have nominee as only mother.
    2) Sons's office PF & gratuty etc have 100% contribution to mother.
    3) Car bought by DIL is in their son's name.

What would have gone wrong, if you folks refused the entire thing ? She would have thrown tantrums, yes ! But then what ? She would have commited suicide / killed you ? NO.. She would have accepted ! How about asking her to put you as a nominee for FIL's account ! Arre, you need some financial support too ! See, the whole point is you folks didnt speak up when you had to ! You let the matter go haywire fearing that , you cannot handle the showdown ! Now, if you cannot handle your lives, practically, who else do you think will come forward to help you ? Think !

You let things happen knowing it isnt going right, and later feel sorry for it ! What is the point ? Dont you think, you rather simply learn to SAY NO ? Not that, if the car is in your hubby's name, it is not fine. But little decisions that YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND HAD TO TAKE, YOU LET OTHERS DO IT ! For what ? Now, who do you think needs to change here ??

4. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

1,2 - agreed.
    3 - implicit - we're not communicating anymore.
    4 - strictly informed parents to refrain from taking calls and reporting mails into spam.
    5 - ALL includes hubby - YES
    When I try to clarify he says sorry to me.. apologises for what all bad things he said... next moment his mom calls him for current updates and everything is back to sq 1. His condition appears to be like an alcoholic. Also when I discuss this with my brother he says.. its an emotional breakdown for a guy to mistrust his mom... the very basic foundations are shaken the day your wife wants you to accept that your mom is wrong.

He's supported me in front of outsiders but his parents and kids come on priority list and then me.
    6,7 - makes sense.
    8 - Told her that u replied to a NO DOWRY section ... so thats being treated as insult and abuse to them in all visits. MIL has excelled the art of lying which even my FIL admitted in their very first visit... however now she's able to convince everyone against me...
    9,10,11 - agreed.. only issue is I have a partially reliable husband... and have be really careful in sharing.

12- Finances - Clarified things with husband in 2006 .. he agreed that he dint understand the requirement since I was working.. so I told him well ur mother has a lot of inherited/acquired properties in metro and everything of ur dad is nominated to her... as of now then who's in a bigger need.

Basically they were fighting and frustrating each other until his marriage when they got an "OUTSIDER" to pour on to.
    I'm not the submissive sorts and still surviving in this fly with dignity.. until these abuses started... You can sit & discuss things with ppl who have open ears... best is to save ur grace by maintaining more distance with ppl who believe in Monolouges... hence I still discuss only with my husband who's considerably better than the Sr. folks.
    Its the daily soaps that are an eternal part of my MIL's life and she's absorbed a lot of dirt from there and replicating in house... which no one can help.. occasionally my FIL passes a directive of no cable tv.. but it melts down when he suffers personal tantraums.

Main aim from this post was to find ppl on same boat & assurance on how long you can sail.. which I did get from feduptocore .. Thanks for that.

5. feduptocore

See, the whole point is you folks didnt speak up when you had to ! You let the matter go haywire fearing that , you cannot handle the showdown ! Now, if you cannot handle your lives, practically, who else do you think will come forward to help you ? Think !

Quoting the above from preethi's reply...
    Preethi you are very correct in your analysis... Its definately ladies like myself/ shilpa etc fault that we have landed in this situation today. I'll share with you guys few facts:
    I got married against my parents & MIL wishes.
    My Dad passed away from cancer a year before my marriage. He gave his consent in the end my Mom was not too happy.
    I really was looking for comfort/ love. assurance from my in-laws which my FIL gave willingly but MIL was vicious from day 1
    my DH being the only child wanted to do all we could for his parents and I gave into each and every of his wishes. Never did I bother to think what about me & my child's future. I just wanted to be by his side in all he did.
    NO I'm NOT building up a sad case for my self just stating facts.
    AND THEN came a time a few years back when I realised that here am I giving all and what am I getting in return???
    Just becuase I let people bull doze over all my desires and wishes they never turned back to see me standing alone fighting my own battles without any help. My health deterioted mental peace was lost... then I decided NO MORE and Now I've drawn my lines CLEARLY with all DH , Son and MIL.
    YES its our fault Shilpa that we like fools have been dormats for so long...
    its time we stand up for OURSELVES

6. Bts

Bts Junior IL'ite

Hey ShilpaMA,

I guess there are loads of people sailing in the same boat as you are . May be the degree of it would be lesser or more . Maybe there could be some other pressing issue ( like my SIL's ) for me..

The position of DH is crucial and they need to grow a spine. Very Imp..
    Or else nothing is gonna change.

Agree with Preethi .. WE paved way for all this ... I seriously wish they conduct some classes . We learnt all subjects and scored centums and came out with flying colours. But in life with IL's we seem to failing terribly. ( but few glaring exceptions) .

7. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Shilpa,

When you have your cards playing right.. it is not about how long you can play, it is how soon you finish !!

When you have set many things straight for yourself , it is just how soon you set the others in place ! So, it is not that you sail for ' long ' , it is how ' soon ' you reach !

You said, you derived it from Feduptocore's post.. But, you have derived isnt the good thing about her post.. I am sure, had she reached out to here or had this realisation by some means, she wouldnt have let go off her 15 wonderful years for something and for someone ! I bet you on that..

It is not just about finding people from the same situation, it is also about what you learn from their weaknesses.. or mistakes so that you dont commit them. Anyways, all the very best to you !

Feddy , ( I dont like to call you by your username, really ! )

I loved the way, you took control of your life, Girl ! You did prove,
    Happiness starts from US !! :thumbsup

8. feduptocore

Dear Shilpa
    Preethi is absoloutely correct.... please no good looking at people in the same situation to come out of it, though i know its good to know that you are not the only one & there are others in the same boat BUT ... we need to gather the inspiration from the ladies who have got hold of their life in such an early stage that they can't be bulldozed over any more.
    K

Preethi
    I really like your attitude.. I wish i had that years back... but never too late.
    I too don't like my ID name.. can i change it?
    I made it when I was really FED UP with all that was happening!!!

9. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Thanks guys for giving me inspiration for putting my foot down..

Preethi I too like your attitude but its just one of those phases where u'd been energetic & appropriately aggressive & still your MIL gives you a bigger blow than before. It was a big blow to me since I tought that with last episode everything was set right and no such thing shall recurr (with every1s assurance) but here I come to know that while I was taking them positive my MIL was preparing all grounds to cut my roots.
    No doubt it makes u stronger but also drained for a while.

My husband's spine was -10 at the time of marriage and its reached to 2 by now.. am sure it'll grow further... he was the most submissive given the veriocious parents & aggressive+lolo sister.

While going thru other posts I realised that my current condition is a combination of a lot of threads which most working ladies go thru during yng mommy years when personal life's a mess and all try to take control of you assuming ur weak.. friction happens only when they realise that ur still ready to fight back even in your weak phase.

Pls read all my posts so far to know my current phase. Its not an appropriate time for me to be v aggressive with ppl around or to confront them.. am waiting for a better opportunity but yes obviously have to make sure that they dont start treading on me.

preethi, I slightly disagree on - it is not about how long you can play, it is how soon you finish !!
    Every time I confront my husb he's apologetic & things/boundaries are set right.... but the moment his mom calls he's back to sq 1.. .so this is going to be a life long process & hence it was about how long can a lady take it mentally... you can finish off all this only after severing all ties.. which however is not possible given the fact that son cannot leave his parents and MIL cannot stop hating DIL.
    You cannot force any1 to like you & hence you cannot finish it ever.
    Did you mean something else by saying finishing it soon?

10. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Unfortunately no.. :hide: BUT, you can sign of as FEDDY from now, if you like it !! :thumbsup