Inputs Required For Setting Up A System To Share Kids Toys/books That Are Old But In Good Condition

Discussion in 'Chennai' started by shan1972, Jun 23, 2017.

1. shan1972

shan1972 Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

There are two children in my family and I see them run through toys/books so quickly. We end up with many toys/books that are in good condition but is no longer of interest to them. For a few years now, I have been trying to donate it to NGOs or distribute it to those around me. I am not particularly satisfied with these options. Therefore I am considering setting up a system by which parents would be able to let others know of the toys available with them. This would also make it possible for them too to get toys/books of their interest from others who have them.

To go ahead with it, I would first like to understand more about the spending pattern and behaviour of parents pertaining to re-using of old toys/books. Would really appreciate if you could take this really short survey. Help me gauge if it worth the effort to set a system in place

Click on this link Understanding how environmentally conscious are Indian parents in reusing their kids' toys/books Survey

Thank you so much

2. Deva1891

Deva1891 Senior IL'ite

Hi Shan.. Very nice idea hope appreciate for your thinking.. This will work great for Books (though not sure about toys). Personally I was in hunt of story books/board books for my little one in-order to develop her language skill (she hasn't started talking yet) had a visit to few stores where I felt baby books are too expensive as there is much demand for it. However I got one book from Amazon (365 Animal Tales) which costs 460 (including shipment charges) which is quite reasonable. However if someone come up with reusing books those are in good condition definitely I would prefer to get one.

shan1972 likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

There is a rent s toy model in operation in anna nagar and velachery and in smaller sizes too. Check if the same would help.

I have adult children. Never spent much on toys. Books is another story. We lend them to friends.

shan1972 likes this.
  4. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

There are several facebook groups which sells Preloved toys/books. I buy all the books for my son only via that

shan1972 likes this.
  5. shan1972

shan1972 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Deva! You are right. People are still not that open to using old but functional toys. However there are many that can be probably be used many times over. For instance we had a tent at home. This was in very good condition. Knew my maid will not be able to use it owing to space constraint. I still ended up giving to her. I wish there had been a way I could have given to someone who would have enjoyed it as much as my niece did.

For the books you could try kiddiwinks a facebook group. They apparently sell children's book for USA and UK. You might find it useful. Members of the group certainly has good things to say about it

6. shan1972

shan1972 Senior IL'ite

Hi Shanvy! Thanks for your response. How old is your child?

Renting of toys is a different concept. I meant giving away toys when not in use or accepting used, functional toys that are no longer of use to the child who is offering it.

7. shan1972

shan1972 Senior IL'ite

Thanks! Can you name the groups for me?

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I give away in freecycle and orphanges that i patronize. One is out of college the other in college. I understood but even functional toys some orphanages are not open to.

9. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

are you based out of India?

10. shan1972

shan1972 Senior IL'ite

India