1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inlaws and parents in same city. Some questions!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by chaya32, Jul 24, 2010.

1. chaya32

chaya32 New IL'ite

hi

Thank you ladies for the replies to my previous thread. These questions have constantly been in my mind

What is the right thing to do? What do you all end up doing?

My Parents and InLaws are in the same city.
    1. When we land in the airport , where do you guys go INLaws place or parents home, if you have come without DH
    2. When we land in the airport,where do you guys go INLaws place or parents home, if you have come with DH
    3. Festivals , where do you celebrate. Celebrate in in laws house nad go visit parents or DH stays at in laws and u stay at parents house.
    4. When you leave, so you leave from in laws place or ur parents ?How do you do it?
    5. Where do you keep your jewellery? With parents or inlaws.

Thanks for your replies in advance

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

My Parents and InLaws are in the same city.
    1. When we land in the airport , where do you guys go INLaws place or parents home, if you have come without DH

Did your inlaws/husband insist that you have to go to inlaws house? If not go to your parents place as you went to India for your sisters wedding. After relaxing for a while, visit your inlaws house. Be there and tell them that after the wedding you would come and stay with them.

3. Festivals , where do you celebrate. Celebrate in in laws house nad go visit parents or DH stays at in laws and u stay at parents house.

If your husband is with you, please be at inlaws house. Celebrate hte festival there at inlaws house and tell your husband that you both would go to visit your parents in the evening. Just a quick visit should be fine too. Festivals are happy times so meeting friends, family is a very regular thing so after the pooja etc at your inlaws, ask your husband to take you to your parents where both of you can take your parents blessings also.

4. When you leave, so you leave from in laws place or ur parents ?How do you do it?

If you go to your parents house when you land in India, best thing to do is see which is feasible. ARe your inlaws active enough to drop you at the airport or help you with the shopping or packing etc? Also in your case as your sisters wedding is a big task at hand your parents would be super busy with all that, isnt it another stressful thing for you to ask them to take care of your shopping and packing and dropping at airport? Best thing is ask your inlaws ....is it ok if I go to airport directly from my parents house?

Also is your husband going to be with you while you are going back? If yes then you have to be with him wherever he is..dont pick on where you have to be. Whereever he is be with him and go to airport from that place
    5. Where do you keep your jewellery? With parents or inlaws.

No one! Keep the jewellery with you. You are not a kid. You should be able to manage your own clothes and jewellery. If you are taking it out of a locker manage it on your own, and the day before you coming back to US again put them in the locker.

You have to understand that you are not a mommys girl or daddys baby anymore. You are grownup. You are married. You are managing your house by yourself in US. So if you act like grownup, people would start giving respect to you and you would have less problems. No one should take care of your personal items except your own self. No one should tell you what you have to do, everyone can suggest but you have to identify whats good an dwhat sbad for you and take a decision. Maintaining balance is the key that too without being stressed out.

3. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

Excellent suggestions SriVidya, as always...:hatsoff

4. chaya32

chaya32 New IL'ite

Thanks SriVidya for answering all my questions..

SriVidya..about the jewellery , I always have them. I never give my valuable things in anybody's posession. Its just that , since I have it in my locker, while I come back abroad, my in laws expect I give the key to them. When I come to India I need to take the key from them. I'd prefer my mother to have the locker keys since its easy to check on jewellery or keep them back etc. So I was just wondering where other ladies leave the Locker key while coming back, incase you have ur jewellery in the locker. Right after my marriage, my MIL took my jewellery box and I had to ask each time when I wanted to use it, so I immediately opened a locker saying its safe and put my valuables there. But they insist they have the key. It so irritating, when I ask them , they ll call my husband and ask' Is it ok if we give her the key' when all the valuables in there are given by my parents.
    I just meant the key and not my jewellery! I would never do that.
    Thanks so much for all your answers.

5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I always wonder Whether we have to teach our Elders, HOW TO TALK! sometimes their words are so nasty whole world can see that except these people.

Might be check with your husband maa..See here the problem is if you dont give it to inlaws, they might create another issue and the fights might escalate to a tug of war. Your husband would also feel irritated with so many things changing at one time. How about get some jewellery to US. Here also you can keep the jewellery in locker and the charges are very minimal too. I would suggest getting atleast halfof the jewellery to Us and rest of it keep it in locker and give the key to MIL.

I really want to see you independant. Slowly cut off these things, make less issues.

6. chaya32

chaya32 New IL'ite

:thumbsup Ok ! I already have half my jewellery here. I will get more this time and by next trip I ll plan on transferring everything here! I will work on everything SriVidya. Married life is teaching me so many things...im learning and changing...!

7. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

If your husband does not make a big fuss out of all this and you have his support, I think it's best to keep the keys with your parents. And of course the best thing to do is, like Sri suggested bring them here to US with you.
    If your in-laws make a fuss about it, you can politely confront them about their behavior and questions. It seems like they do need a wake up call.

8. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

I know this is an old issue, but I wanted to get the opinions of the other ILites. What do u do when you land in India? A cousin of mine once said that she would go to her in-laws first, stay htere a couple of days and then go to her parents'. She will be there till her husband joins her. She would leave from her parents' mostly. I have gone to India only twice without my husband. The second time my in-laws were here, so I could go directly to my parents'. But when we go together, we always go to my in-laws' and I have to hear my husband say things like 'good to be back in familiar surroundings etc'... I can accept that he is happy to be back etc, but they expect me to say the same. I cant say that, as ideally I would have liked to go to 'my familiar surroundings'. I dont mind going there, but I cant keep hearing that over and over again.
    As for festivals, we have never been there, apart from the first Pongal after our wedding. My mom-in-law insisted that I be there with them. I was there and went to see my parents later. She was not happy about it saying how can you go leaving this house? I have never done all this.. she was with her parents most of the time for the first 6 years of her married life. Her father lived with them for about 13 years after that. Though she has said that she would come here for festivals etc. Her in-laws lived with her for the first 10 months or so. Afterwards they moved out. She used to boast saying that she never left her house to even go see her in-laws. (The house they live in was bought by my dad-in-law). I decided to do that and said that why I should I leave my house here empty and come there?? She hasnt said anything to me, she might have to her son. But this year, we might be in India for Diwali. I know I will be there with my in-laws on Diwali, (that is what my parents want me to do as well). But will I be wrong if I told them that I want to go to my parents' in the evening and stay there for dinner? They dont visit anyone on Diwali (because of their age).

As for the jewels question, before we got married my mom-in-law told me that she has a locker which I could use. It was in my dad-in-law and husband's name. The plan was that I would operate it along with my husband. But when I told my dad, he said dont change it as someone here has to be able to operate it. So let it be as it is. I thought that was right and so told my mom-in-law that. I keep my jewels in that locker. But later on she started complaining saying that the bank is too far and they find it difficult etc. She was saying why did you keep it there? :bonk I told her you asked me to leave it there, and it is your locker, and not something I opened. They had two lockers there and we changed it to one big locker on my husband's and dad-in-law's name( we required a bigger locker). She cried for that saying that her name had to be removed... (she cried when she had to move her clothes from the cupboard in 'our' bedroom, saying that she wanted to keep stuff in all the rooms of 'her' house.. there was no other option for me to keep my clothes). I dont ask her to take anything for me out of the locker. I try and operate it when ever we go there. I also take her to her locker and sort out her jewels. Now she has kept a lot of papers in that account (where my jewels are) and keeps complaining that there is no place for the papers. My mum has an active locker which she doesnt use much and is big enough to keep all my gold and silver. It is a block away from my parents'. She said that I could use that if need be. I told my husband that and he didnt seem too happy about that...he said that I should keep it there in his locker!! What do I do ladies... I am not too happy about this. I want to ideally move it to the locker my mum has. She was plannign to close it and my husband told her not to do so, as we might want to use it. Now she is paying the rent for an empty locker!!

Mythili

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  9. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

About the Diwali festival , you can do the oil bath and celebration in in-laws place in the morning , and talk to your husband about the evening plan.
    Inform your in-laws about your visit .
    You can very well go to your parents house for the dinner.
    Have fun.

About jewels, why dont you open a locker or transfer your mom's locker to your name and ur DH's name.

That way you dont need to rely on in-laws or avoid ego issues related to using parents help.
    Any way you are not going to operate it while you are out of india.

Another option is , wipe out everything from india and keep it with u in your house. There are locker options in Overseas banks too or you can buy a safe in your house and keep it locked there.

This is a very sensitive topic if you want to switch to your mom's locker and letting your parents operate it. Your in-laws will feel inferior that you dont trust them. When your MIL complains the bank is far, have you tried to ask her for an option of a nearby bank she is having in mind ? if so try switching to that.

10. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Ranchhu,

Your suggestion is a good one. As of now our India trip is not confirmed. So I m not going to sweat it till we confirm the plans. As for the locker, they (my in-laws) were the ones who opened the locker arnd 2 years even b4 I got married. They have a locker in a bank near the house. When I suggested that I change my jewels to a new locker in that bank, they said why do u want to move it from there, and you will need to deposit more money etc etc. So I told my DH that we can get amma's locker and use it instead. I m not sure why he is not happy.
    As for bringing them here, I used to have them all here. But 2 years back my DH decided that I should leave it there in Chennai. He is not comfortable with having them here. May be I can have a sensible discussion later on...

Mythili