1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Informing people about faux pas nicely ???

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by hrastro, Mar 13, 2015.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Yesterday rushing out of home, I decided to squeeze in my BP checkup before my music class - and realized I didnt have earrings, didnt switch on the light or move the curtains, just grabbed a couple and wore them !

As I parked at the doctor - I saw in my scooty's mirror and realized my earrings were of exactly the same design but one was dark violet and the other was emerald green !! Shiny long earrings of different colors!!!

Well - being the confident person that I am ;-) I just decided to wing it (Actually I didnt have the time to worry about that !) and decided to people watch - I wanted to know what people would say!

My doctor was puzzled at my half-smile, but went on about my BP and then about my math summer camp (her daughter is too young for vedic maths) and an upcoming trip ( am I healthy enough for another trip) OK - No comments on the earrings!

Next was my music class - neither my teacher, nor my co-learners commented!

Then when I went to meet my invalid friend - she immediately saw it and said - wow nice, is this the latest fashion? You have both purple and green on your dress today - so one earring purple, one green!!!

I said - no no it was a mistake, not fashion!! Her MIL also said - people wear all kinds of stuff for fashion - this doesnt look like a mistake !! This looks like fashion !!! And we all had a good laugh !

I came home and removed only my leggings, and crashed on the bed (all that rushing had to strain my back!)

I always wear wraparound full skirts with kurtis/tops at home, but didnt bother to change!!

It was soon time to prepare food for son and bring him from school bus stop - well - I couldnt be bothered to bend my back and wear those leggings again - so grabbed the first wraparound skirt in the pile and wore it below my kurti - green and purple kurti with an orange skirt :)

Friends at the bus stop told me straight on - your skirt and top yesterday looked good !! This set doesnt match !

Once while driving - I saw a slim young girl in kurti-leggings with a laptop bag walking on the way to busstop - the backpack had pulled her kurti up - and her back thighs were showing!

I paused near her, caught her eye and told her "Adjust your dress" quietly and drove away! She saw me at the next signal and said - thank you so much ma'm !

So what do you do?
    1) Do you tell your friends who make such mistakes? What kind of statements?
    2) Do you inform acquaintances who make gaffes like this ??
    3) What about passers by ???
    Are you diplomatic? How do you say it without hurting others?

2 people like this.

2. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

Re: Informing fashion faux pas nicely ???

once at s'pore custom, while waiting for the bus we saw a group of girls talking. my mum was with me and she calmly told the gal standing next to her that she was wearing her blouse inside out.
    when my mum said that i was about to stop her thinking it could be the blouse fashion. young and gaily looking gals dont wear blouse inside out, rite. and her friends could have pointed this to the gal. but no, my mum was right. the gal profusely thanked my mum and went to ladies to change it.

3 people like this.
  3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@hrastro:
    I tell my friends to fix their dress in a husky voice. (Now I wonder why the husky voice??!). Most often its just 'fix your dress'. Reminds me of school days when we used phases like 'your sunday is longer than your monday'.
    Passers by - nothing caught my eye so far, so never said it.
    I had an incident at work once. I was discussing something with a male colleague of mine. I was in a blue formal full sleeve shirt and formal trousers. After the discussion when we went back to our places, he left a PM for me. First he had apologized for sending that message. Then he mentioned that there was some kind of stain on my shirt. And then he apologized again for saying that to me. gigglingsmiley
    Of course, I fixed my shirt quickly later.

2 people like this.
  4. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Bra display, upped chudi top when using toilet,top caught bet butt ,mensuration stain are some of the most emabarassing cases.I inform using hushed tone going near that person(known/unknown ) or through sign language.I dont see any reason to hurt others as these kind of things could happen to any of us.I always think its our duty to help our fellow women in times of embarassment.I had experienced such help from generous women too.

3 people like this.
  5. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

At office, when we are in a meeting or a group, I look into the eyes and signal without other's notice. Once in a bus, there was this girl who was wearing a blouse with hooks at the back . Unfortunately all her hooks had come out. No one told her anything. I told her to wrap her pallu around and quietly said. her blouse hooks have come out. She was so embarrassed and wrapped her pallu around.
    I have once walked behind my friend covering her back until her car, since her trousers were spoiled with blood stains.
    Earrings or dress. .. It is difficult to judge whether the other person is wearing for fashion or it is a mistake. I have so many times told some ladies that one earring is missing or inner wear is visible.. and got response as 'fashion'. So I avoid pointing it out to anyone other than my friends.

6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I always remember the second time when I was in India. Walking down the street and a young lady approached me and told me that my kurta needs adjustment (it was in the back stuck to my undies). I jumped up to the roof because got so scared/surprised someone is talking to me (after being a week there feeling like I am living in a bubble because no-one speaks to me, look at me etc). Then I realized that it is a young, friendly looking lady but had a hard time to understand what she was talking about. Kurta, what on earth does that mean? After a few seconds of total confusion I remembered that kurta is some kind of top/shirt/tunika and understood what she was talking about :D.

1 person likes this.
  7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I would tell someone - friend or passer by- if there is something they are unaware of that if they know can cause them embarrassment. I remember this horrific incident last year at work. We have a lady whose job is coordinating various training classes offered at work. She is a very nice woman but very big (like over 250lbs maybe).

So the morning of a class, I went to ladies room before heading to class. I saw her there and said hello and walked out. When I saw her back in class, to my horror, she had a toilet paper handing from the back of her pants. Unfortunately it was very noticeable. But the class was in full session and speakers had started so impossible to take her aside and warn her.

I remember her walking around organizing our group into smaller teams for discussion and while doing so, people noticed that. Thankfully I did not see anyone laugh but most just had a shocked expression. I think during break, someone must have told here because she fixed it. Had I got a chance, I would have told her. That is the kind of situation where it is too cruel not to tell no matter how uncomfortable it is.

Another common faux pas is forgetting to take tag from new clothes. I will tell if I see that.

But if clothes are not matching per my taste, I wont. Because everyone has different taste. Had I seen with different earring, and if we were acquaintance, I would have asked if that is what you were going for. If we were close friends, you would be prepared for some some leg pulling for that :biggrin2:.

sindmani, hrastro and hridhaya like this.
  8. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

I inform discreetly when I see something amiss - friend or stranger.

I knew a girl who had a very poor dressing sense. We had tuitions together in a large batch. While I did not like to comment on it, she wore something very unusual one day. Some guys were making fun of her for it. I took her aside after class and told her, rather uneasily, that people were making fun of her dress. She asked me to take her shopping, so she could select some dresses, and I did.

1 person likes this.
  9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Re: Informing fashion faux pas nicely ???

That was good of your mom!!
    I would wonder why none of her friends pointed it out - usually these kind of gaffes are obvious - they would have definitely noticed it!

1 person likes this.
  10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Yeah "Sunday is longer than monday", "Yaaro tala mele aatu kutti meyudu" - we should compile them somewhere for some laughs for the nextgen :)

It must have been so embarrassing for the guy to point it out - he was quite correct in sending the PM - at least you both didnt have to look at each other while getting embarrassed :)

1 person likes this.