1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Info on booking tickets to India for my kid

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sihi, May 10, 2007.

1. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,

We are planning to visit India with my daughter this July-Aug and I need some information on what kind of tickets I need to book for my daugther. She will be turning 2 during our journey...so she will be under 2 while going from here and will be 2 when we return. What kind of tickets should we book? BA website says that we can book infant seats, but the travel agents tell me that I need to book a child seat both to and fro. Any pointers and info on this is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sihi

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sihi

We were in the same situation when we came to the U.S in 2004.When we came to NY in Oct,my son was not yet 2 and when we went back to India in Dec,he was 2. We booked a child seat for him both ways.Since it is a long journey,and since the child is around 2,it is better to book a child seat to ensure that the child is comfortable throughout the journey.

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sihi,

Usually most airlines will take into consideration the age of the kid when you first leave on your journey. But considering that your kid is almost 2, i would recomend that you get a separate seat for him. It is more comfortable this way. bear in mind that you have two long journeys both to and fro, and it gets quite uncomfortable if you pay 10% fare and opt to carry your kid on your lap. He will be too big for a bassinet now. So my suggestion is to go for a separate seat for your kid too.

vandhana

4. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestions Sunitha and Vandhana. Even I think its better as you guys said, to book child seat and have her seated in a separate seat, which will be comfortable for me and her.

If I book a separate seat, should I take the car seat or can she use the regular seat belts?

-Sihi

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Sihi,

The regular seat belt is good enough. Also the advantage is that you can lift up the hand rest and then your kid can stretch out while sleeping.

Vandhana

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sihi

I agree with what Vandhana says ...invariably,small children sleep during travel and it will be difficult for them to sit on a car seat and sleep.Many people advise car seat since the child is used to the same at home and therefore will not fuss in the plane.But it is another piece of luggage to carry. Yes,initially,it will be a huge task to make them sit on a separate seat and to remain seated during take-off and landing.So,plan for the same.Carry some small toy or some stickers etc. to keep your child engaged during those times and to keep her seated.My son used to create a scene initially and we were helpless during those times.Then we realised that if we kept him engaged,he behaved better.All the best.