1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Info needed for hartford, CT

Discussion in 'Indians in Hartford' started by sayanka, Dec 18, 2008.

1. sayanka

sayanka New IL'ite

Hey guys. My husband and I are moving to Hartford , CT soon.Please let us us if it is a costly place to live?I did a lil r&d about cost of living ( considering different parameter such as general grocery,Indian groceries, apartment rent, other bills, utility bills ,restautant and other entertainment amenities and expenditure) and couldn't find much helpful info on that.
    I will really appreciate if you all share your experience about cost of living in Hartford area, and also decent and affordable place to live.My friend said stamford is a costly place , but hartford is just the opposite.Also what is the best commuting system there? is it public trasport or cars?

Is that true?
    Looking forward to you response.
    thanks a lot.

2. shobanaj

shobanaj Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I have lived in Hartford before. The cost of living is little high but low when compared to West Coast and high when compared to Mid West. For 1050 you can find decent single bedroom apartment, utility bills may come around 150. I liked Hartford because everything is accessible. You have bus facilities to all the places. In fact we were leading our life without car for 2 years or so. Overall Hartford is a good place to live. Lot of schools and day cares.

Other ladies, may have different opinions. But this is just my 2 cents.

Thanks

3. kolli143

kolli143 Senior IL'ite

Hi I am living in CT for over 10 yrs now. I lived in east hartford for a while and the rent was 800 for a decent one bedroom apartment. I used to visit a friend an year ago who lived in hartford downtown apartments and paid the same 800+ for a decent single bedroom. they are secured as well.
    The utility costs are same throughout and they will come around 150 to 250$ per month based on your usage and based on weather the apt has gas or electric heat.
    your friend is right that stamford is expensive compared to hartford... stamford is closer to the NY city which is why it is more expensive.
    All in all hartford is a wonderful city and you can live with bus commute but it will be comfortable to have a car.
    welcome to CT and good luck with your move.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  4. kavithasakthi

kavithasakthi Senior IL'ite

Please let me know the apartment complex names where i rent for a house.I am looking for a single bedroom apartment with lot of Indians.
    I am looking at Hartford,CT(Pin Code : 06002)

5. reach

reach New IL'ite

Hi,
    Hartford is a gr8 place to live. I stay in Woodcliff Estates pin -06118. You'll find many local grocery stores nearby. We are paying $980 for 2 BHK. It's a decent aptmt with many Indians around. People are friendly and helpful.
    Commuting by bus is easy and convenient, having car is an added advantage, not a must though.
    Hope you enjoy your stay in Hartford.

Regards
    Anu