1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Info about migrating to Toronto, Canada from India

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by starryeyes, Jan 23, 2013.

1. starryeyes

starryeyes New IL'ite

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking about migrating to Toronto, Canada from India. He's a software engineer and a Program Manager with 8.5 yrs of experience. I am a Tech Writer with 5.2 yrs of exp. We have dreams of moving to Canada, but are not sure of the appropriate way to go about it. Should we try an onsite project through his company via the temporary work visa, in such a situation as his dependent wil I be able to work? Are there good jobs available for a Technical Writer? OR should we apply for the Permanent Residency (PR) visa to come to Canada. If so, how long (in terms of months and years) will it take to apply and get a PR visa? What are the requirements and is it a good idea for both of us to apply for a PR?

Kindly read through my requirements and please let me know on these lines. I am sure as residing in Canada already, you will have a clear idea about the procedures, details and also have information of how things work in the country.

Thank you.

2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

From what I know PR applications are on hold right now. It will be great if your dh gets a job but yes if he gets the working visa then you being his dependent won't be able to work . I don't know about the requirements for PR , sorry . Also no idea about jobs for Tech writer. All the best!!!

3. starryeyes

starryeyes New IL'ite

Hi, thanks a lot for replying. Pls let me know what other type of visa can we apply to immigrate to Canada. And, regarding the temporary work visa, i had read somewhere that the dependent will also happen to get a work permit. Pls let me know on this since I want to be working if we move to Canada via the temporary work visa. Thank you.

4. krishlakshmi

krishlakshmi Silver IL'ite

Hi Anmlohi
    I have around 9+ years of experience,One of the consultancy company is asking Rs.65000 for canada PR processing ,as you specify the PR is on hold, I have a doubt whether to proceed with this or not.Please throw some light as this may be very helpful to us.

Thanks in advance...

5. DRRAMAN2006

DRRAMAN2006 Junior IL'ite

Approach Y axis...65k is expensive...see if you DH can score 66 points
    best wishes

6. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

how much it normally cost. sorry no help here.

My sister from Delhi also applied through some agent & he told them that its on hold for now. I don't know

7. anotherDay

anotherDay New IL'ite

There is a list of occupations that they show in the process to immigrate as the skilled worker. i dont think Software and ITs are in that list, so you may not qualify to immigrate as skilled workers BUT there are other ways for sure.
    65 is not that much, depends on which city are you in, they took around 50,000 from us here in baroda, The consultants were reputed and internationaly recognized, Marconis India Ltd
    I can answer more questions wrt PR visa application and process
    feel free

8. starryeyes

starryeyes New IL'ite

Hi....thank u for offering to let me know details about PR. Pls let me know what is a Permanent Residency visa?lWho can apply for this type of a visa and how many years does the visa remain valid? How much time does it take to get the PR visa processed? Can the dependents of the PR visa holder work? Kindly provide me any info that u may have on these lines. Thank u.

9. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

If your husband comes on work permit, you can also work. Even though u are dependent on his visa. Some of my friends who are here on work permit, got married and brought their spouse. They started working. Check the below link. Its a goverment authorized site.

Work Permit for Spouses of Workers or Students

I would recommend your husband to come through his work/office after coming here, if he wishes he can change jobs. Also if you are working in Canada for 2 yrs continuously you are eligible for PR. This is quicker than the PR process from India.

10. starryeyes

starryeyes New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the valuable info. However, wanted to know how many months might it take if you apply for a PR from India? Will the PR visa allow me to work? How many years can i stay put in Canada with a PR visa. I had also heard that if for example, my husband travels to canada on a temporary work permit, he cannot move onto any
    other job or company since he is on his company sponsored visa.

Pls let me know on these lines. Thank u.