1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Influencers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The great saint Adi Sankaracharya said, “Satsangha Twe nishanga twam, Nisangha twe nirmoha twam, Nirmoha twe nischala ta twam, Nischala ta twe Jivanmukti” meaning “When you are in good company, you are not in bad company, when you are not in bad company, you don’t fall into delusion, when you don’t fall into delusion, the mind becomes steady and when the mind becomes steady, you are liberated”.

This sounds very simple to understand but very complex to practice. It also shows the depth of wisdom of the great saint. By nature, human beings tend to belong to a tribe. We tend to acquiesce to the group that reflects our principles and values. However, the first and foremost choice is to belong to a group where we feel secured and protected. Risk-taking to move out of the cocoon to expose ourselves to our negative aspects is rare. Where does this sense of insecurity come from? Why is it important for us to belong to a tribe? Our mind creates an imaginary Geo-fence around us as though we are in the security of the home. Most social gatherings have become a place to discuss about the intelligence of either ourselves or our children. This creates significant emotional imprint in our minds. Our mind is afraid of criticism but very receptive to the words of praise. It gets intoxicated by the repeated words of appreciation and likes to be under the influence of such praises failing to grow further into unknown territories. Instead of expanding our mind to reach out to more and more people to increase our interaction, we become comfortable to be in the security of select few be it our own family, our community and our standard social-gatherings.

Take me for example. Before I started writing in IL, I spent six months whether I could venture into IL or not. After that, I created my cocoon to write my own blogs before I started writing regularly in IL. Even when I started writing, I was looking to write only in snippet section where I had people who are very supportive of me. I was very afraid of giving my opinion away in Relationship, Education & Personal Growth forums. I behaved as though I kept one leg into the water to check the current before I jumped into the river to enjoy swimming. If I had broken this barrier sooner, I would have had the great company of many learned people in these wonderful forums. Frankly, when I read relationship forum, I figured out how many women who were in troubled waters for a prolonged period have successfully come out of it with sheer courage and self-belief. They stood up for themselves by learning out of their own experiences.

Frankly feeling secured in a group of people itself is a delusion. Many have used this tribal mentality very successfully for political or other social gains. For example, I honestly believe tribal mentality of minority of Americans gave the electoral college victory and put Donald Trump into the White House as the President. Even in India, fanning the feelings of religious people who weren’t rational thinkers resulted in giving PM Modi the majority in the Parliament. The opposing party was corrupt is another question altogether. It is the sense of insecurity of the Germans that Adolf Hitler used to become an indisputable leader and a dictator who tried to conquer the entire world.

Discriminating mind that can evaluate the social behavior of others and our own reaction to such social behavior will never be afraid of anything. It will take our emotional mind that feels the sense of insecurity out of it and create a sense of belonging and togetherness with the entire world. The mind that is rigid with its own principles and values, recognizing a group of people or community as its own cocoon would never learn anything new. Our mind must be trained to change constantly to adapt to changing environment. There is enough mechanism in our body and mind to ring the alarm bell if we are in a real dangerous environment and there is no need to create artificial barriers in our mind.

There is no question that we need to regulate ourselves to the social needs of the society and comply with all the laws of the land. But we don’t have to restrain ourselves with a chain to belong to a tribe. Freedom and liberation is not sanctioned by anyone but acquired by our own mind. When we unlock the barriers and open our mind to expose it to the new environments, there is so much of fun waiting for us. The euphoria we experience when we have a sense of belonging to the entire environment is inexplicable. When we melt in nature, enjoy the company of animals, like praying to a name or form, let us train our mind also to expand to see togetherness of all human beings around us through the lens of love. It liberates our mind totally making it wide open to learning new things.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    You have brought up an important issue for discussion in the group quoting Shankaracharya.
    Yes, there is a rather widespread tendency
    to behave instinctively in the same way than most other people.It is a fact that it may result in loss of individual thinking.Even in the financial side ,the investment trend may cause bubbles as in 2008 in US.
    We are always advised to be a Roman in Rome.

We have read much about 'herding' in Social Psychology.Even in a theatre many people weep simultaneously during the scene of death or torture .It is just human to do what is done by the crowd.
    This is more or less like obedience to elders,experts,Gurus and trendsetters.
    With its negatives as loss of independent thinking,social life cannot be avoided .There are likely be fears of retaliation and rejection.But the fact that from childhood we learn only by imitation cannot be ignored.
    It is ok to make certain compromises.But to allow the mass to pull our strings may amputate our personality.
    It is a question of 'being wise together or being blind to gether' just like all falling into the ditch.
    But groups can achieve which individuals can't.
    common sense lies in combining the wisdom of the many with the decisive power of the individual ( Guru or leader) and arrive at a constructive balance.
    Thank you Viswa for the introspective thread.
    Jayasala 42

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:While waiting for the idea to crystalize in mind, I found the word “steady” replaced the “study” in the original unedited post. Wonderful vis -a-vis self study ofbehaviour - why I am being so - - why I had reacted instead responding - all because one would just like to be Always on the safer side and therefoe in any event feel comfortable in following the majority behaviour or norm.
    I am reminded of Rudyard Kipling Character “MOWGLI” in his popular JUNGLEBOOK. The wolf cub boy shuttling between the village and forest.
    Modern population sitting in front of idiot box pledged their thinking and blindly tend to believe whatever is drummed into the viewers ears. Like wise many may not know it is troll but tend to act or react believing everything real.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless!

shyamala1234 and Viswamitra like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,
    Because it is not too philosophical I dare to write a feedback.
    To my level of understanding Shankaracharya mentioned about the company of learned and good people and not a tribe.
    Yes, many want to be in the company of tribe especially when outside India. Speaking the same language makes them comfortable. I have seen in USA....Telugu group, Tamil group, Bengali group and on and on. Because they miss home they feel a sense of belonging to a group. But it does not mean that they are not individualistic. They are friendly with their own peers. Every person has his/her own traits.
    Praise....who does not like? Everyone likes to be patted, praised and even flattery. But one should be level headed among all these things.
    The last paragraph has nothing to do with a group. Melt in nature, praying to a name or form, training mind.....very individual trait. Anybody , anywhere in the world can strive for it.
    Syamala

5. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you as always for your invaluable feedback. Yes. There are so many benefits in comradeship with fellow beings in our own group. The collective wisdom of more than one could have far reaching advantages in life when compared to individual thinking. As you rightly pointed out, one needs to derive a constructive balance.

The company of good people do bring great value to our own principles and values and the church-going habits make one help develop favorable attitude towards humanity. However, the sheepish tendencies also bring some difficult social habits that are hard to break. Sometimes, it makes one's mind very rigid with no constructive and individual thinking to discriminate. I just brought that aspect of the issue to the forefront in this introspection. Many Gurus including Adi Shankara have suggested that we need to make our own inquiry before practicing the teachings. Once the concept is embedded in our system with self-inquiry, it becomes more powerful. There is nothing wrong in being in a group but we need to explore the world outside of the group to make our mind learn new things. Expansion of mind with the open attitude to listen to new ideas, stimulate our mind significantly. Even when the corporations belong to their association, when they go to the market, everyone asks them to differentiate their products and services.

Keeping an open mind, listen to new views and being ready to change are important traits one needs to possess to break the barriers of growth. That is my humble opinion.

Viswa

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Sri Thyagarajan:

Very well said. The social media and television are great influences in our lives. The companies like Google, Apple and Facebook are now talking about what they call as "Attention Economy". They believe, the future of the eCommerce is dependent on social media interaction of the people who interact with each other.

That is why I gave example of 2016 US election. The bots from Russia influenced a few minds in pockets of the US who were already unhappy and had sense of insecurity about their future to tilt the electoral college in favor of a specific candidate.

Our social behavior is becoming predictable and sometimes unacceptable for future growth. I am not suggesting no one should be in a group but should also use one's discrimination to think independently and voice against social issues even if it comes from the majority.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Syamala:

You know I always welcome your responses whether I write a snippet in philosophy or not. It is not my understanding either that Shankaracharya mentioned about belonging to the tribe as a good practice. He clearly said one should have good company and it is the human mind that misunderstands it as the company of a group in which one feels the sense of security. I was only analyzing how the mind refuses to accept criticism and look for words of praise always and hence find it difficult to venture into new territories.

I am not saying that most are not individual thinkers. They do think independently even though they are part of the group. But group behavior considerably influence the mind of the individual without us realizing it whether a particular aspect is good or bad.

If you carefully review the entire snippet including the title, it is about the influencers of our mind and therefore, the last paragraph has some relevance to the topic. How good a person would be if one is a regular church-goer, loves nature and animals but doesn't recognize the sufferings/needs of the fellow beings? In fact, many spiritual teachers are advising that the hands that serves is holier than the lips that prays. If one faces some bad social habits in a group, one should be able to stand up to point that out. I spend ton of money to get my daughter married because that is what the entire society did. This is despite most religious and spiritual leaders suggesting to conduct wedding in a simpler fashion. If I am a parent of a young man, I expect the bride's family to do all wedding expenses and let the girl get accustomed to the practices of the bridegroom's family. How many will ask about the family practices of the bride? Even in social media, if one is slightly naive in expressing her thoughts, others bully her so much resulting in her morale being destroyed to write. These kind of ganging up should be strictly avoided. Whether it is social get together or social media group, one should not consider them as demonstration of the intelligence but as an opportunity to make friends and learn from one another.

These are the social habits that one needs to break in order to change own embedded and hardcore habits that are not desirable. In order to grow to the new levels, the mind should discriminate the right from wrong. Healthy discussions even if they are conflicting should be welcomed in order to make a step in the right direction. If we prepare our mind to change, we give a chance to ourselves to enter into new territories that would remove our delusions about the security. These are my humble views out of my own experiences.

Viswa

satchitananda and shyamala1234 like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

This is some food for thought. I think we as humans have always known that we are influenced by the people/activities/groups around us and like us now, our ancestors also always tried to give us tools to help us cope. That nischalatvam that Shankara speaks of, or the chitta vrittis that Patanjali speaks of all lead us to the same question - how to steady the mind and find liberation. Liberation can also mean at a basic level, liberation from conformity, the freedom the joy we feel when we can follow what our mind tells us once we stop the chatter is incredible and that surely can be felt from what you describe in the last paragraph. Constantly living in that state is a challenge and I think most of us are always on a daily basis if not hourly basis working at it ie. fall, pick up feel the bliss to start the process over again. Trying is the only thing we can do......these falling downs and picking ourselves up is what makes us human.

Mind no doubt is very fascinating. I am as intrigued and fascinated about it and am awed by it constantly - my own and that of others and I assure you I have the messiest. If you don't trust me, you should ask people close to me. Anyways it is interesting you speak of tribes. Recently I was glued to the TV listen to Amy Chua speak of tribal mentality right now in our American Society while talking about her latest book "Political tribes". I have quite enjoyed her earlier book 'tiger mother' as well.

While reading your snippet I also remembered an episode from "Brain Games" - we love this and watch it repeatedly!

Here is a small video on conformity

and the longer version which is fascinating, if you have time can be found here

Look what it (mind) did to me right now....I am not sure where i started but here I am writing whatever has come to my mind after reading your snippet :biggrin:

PS: trying not to fall into the trap of conformity, I have responded to the snippet without reading other responses and getting influenced ;-)

9. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    From the very beginning humans have lived in groups for familiarity and of course security. I see nothing wrong in that. In fact it is quite logical. A known devil is always better than a unknown one.
    Does that make us a frog in the well (Coopmandook)? No. God has given us ears, eyes to listen and observe. We no longer live in a well. There are hundreds of things influencing us and try whatever we may, we cannot isolate ourselves from the happenings around us.
    As for keeping good company, yes a man is known by the company he keeps (women included) but man also compared with the lotus flower, rising above the mud. It is rather difficult to live in ivory towers, not getting the bad smell coming from the chawls below.
    I think the trick is very simple. Do good, be good. No point being judgemental, reformer. Those who will come in contact will either get reformed or will leave for good.
    Frankly it is very tough subject and twenty first century is changing all the traditional definitions of good and bad.

Viswamitra and shyamala1234 like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

What a deep thinker you are and it is really a pleasure reading your feed backs! It is really liberating to have an open mind and use as much discrimination as possible to derive a near perfect answer. As you rightly pointed out Shankara and Patanjali are suggesting us to inquire and steady the mind on a regular basis. Conflicting views echos in our mind often with the chatter and when we clarify them like the way we churn the yogurt to get butter out of it, we see the value of such discrimination. Yes. It is hard to be constantly maintain that state of mind. Trying and not giving up to do that is the most important process. I have not read Political Tribes or Tiger Mother but heard of Tiger Mother before.

Thank you for sharing the videos and I enjoyed seeing the first one but yet to see the second. There is nothing wrong in belonging to a group but we should still use our discrimination to avoid conformity to something that we are socially trying to break.

Invaluable response, as always.

Viswa

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.