1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inflation and the growth in rodent population!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Inflation and the growth in rodent population

If you are looking for a good example to explain the phrase ‘motley group’, the best would be the subjects for which Nobel Prize is awarded each year. They are peace, literature, physics, chemistry, medicine (or physiology) and Economics to boot, though as an after thought! It is not unusual for the Nobel Prize being awarded to two or more people of highly contradicting views on the same subject as we saw in 1974 when it was awarded jointly to two eminent economists Myrdal and Hayek who were virtually at loggerheads! But then anything is possible in Economics! If you want a ringside view of the process of selection of the Nobel awardees, you must read Irving Wallace’s fabulous novel ‘The Prize’

Do you wonder why I am talking about the Nobel Prize now? If you do, let me assure you that the Nobel Prize is far from my agenda. Instead I am going to talk about economics which is what everyone is doing right now. If you want to put this statement to test, come to the rose milk shop in the East Mada Street of Mylapore on any evening and you will find half a dozen septuagenarians discussing what is hurting world economy in general and the US economy in particular. I couldn’t conceal my admiration when one of them was comparing the role of US in world economy to the evergreen song of ‘Kandan Karunai’ that if Lord Muruga laughed in Tirupparamkundram, the echo of it would be heard in Tiruchendur! He went to the extent of suggesting that since the actions of the US President always had worldwide repercussions, the voting in the US Presidential Election must be conducted all over the world. He even attributed the unprecedented rise in the price of tomatoes here to the economic depression that swept over the US!

Inflation is one aspect of economics that every one is concerned with. I received my first lecture on inflation from my maternal grand mother (b.1888 d.1972) when I was in my primary school. She used to regale us with stories of the British Raj and how the four-day lavish wedding of my mother cost them only Rs.10, 000! We always found it difficult to keep our mouths from hanging wide open when she narrated stories of how a bag of rice would cost just Rs.2 etc. Talking of the late ‘60s, she used to lament how people were buying up things whether they needed them or not which resulted in such rise in prices! If she happens to see the monthly shopping list of my grand children alone now, she would die of a heart attack again! How right was the US banker Herbert Prochnow when he said ‘It now costs more to amuse a child than it once did to educate his father’!

While street smart persons like my grand mother could explain away inflation in a lingo that could be understood even by a school boy like me, the professional economists would indulge in confounding pedagogy to take even simple things away from the pale of understanding. For instance, if you ask an inebriated economist why he goes on imbibing the stuff when it is only making it difficult for him, he would say that he is researching into the law of diminishing marginal utility! All their talk about the rate of inflation coming down impressively from 9.4% to 8.3% makes no sense to us as we go on paying more and more for less and less!

The other day, I went to see an old friend of mine in Triplicane in Chennai. I was surprised to find that even he was talking of inflation! He was telling me how the cost of catching a rat with a trap has gone up from 10 paise a decade back to Rs.2 now. When I looked askance at him, he attributed the increase to the rise in the price of a masal vada from 10 paise a decade back to Rs 2 now. To those who, in turn, look askance at me now, I must tell you that the preferred bait of a Triplicane rat is a Masal vada and it will never settle for anything else. The rats simply will not touch anything other then this vada. For instance, keep a piece of bread hooked to the trap and you will find that the trap continues to remain open for days but if you keep the masal vada as bait, you can hear the thud of the trap shutting close within 30 minutes with a huge rat sitting inside and nibbling blissfully away at the vada. With that explanation, you can understand how the rise in the price of vada aids the growth of rodent population which in turn affects the food grain storage.

I prefer learning all about inflation in this way rather than from the scholarly articles of eminent economists. Because they never know what they are talking about and to make it worse, they make it appear as though it is our fault!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    2 people like this.

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Great topic !!

The effects of recession in the US seems to be the current topic even with our bhajiwala. Asked why he his charging such a huge price for the dead looking tamatoes, he said because of humrika(America for us):spinWhatever thats supposed to mean , the only evident thing was that the tamatoes looked like they were mourning.

Seems that this inflation and recession are the favourite words these days. Almost all are talking about it. Everyone wears a grumpy look. The once cherubic faces look morose and depressed. Not that they have invested in stocks. Even the ones hardly affected think this is the in-thing these days. To look and feel the part. A doctor i know for eg, wears this contemporary look though I see the number of patients are quite a lot.

A friend of mine has decided to stop looking for a bride. Says its recession time :crazy:spin. Of what ?? Brides??
    Apart from the recession another favourite lingo seems to be dollars. You might be living in the remotest part of India but love to say that this Tshirt was picked up from the supermarket(read sale of Export rejects) for 4$. Dollars??

A great post by you Sir. Enjoyed reading it!Loved reading about the masal vada!!Big LaughBig LaughBig Laugh

Love,
    Your Mol

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    Inflation, its effect..making masal vada to cost rs.2/-...Big LaughBig Laugh
    Not only Devika's bhajiwala..my maid asked me to raise her salary..since inflation is pinching her pocket...:spinok..so what about me? i asked...
    My flowervendor usually gives 2 muzham's for Rs.10/-, now its just 1 muzham...you ask reason...inflation ma...

My neighbour who never dares to switch her TV channel other than sun tv or any tamil channel and keep crying in par to the soaps is now watching NDTV profit(to my horror)...and i asked her, Aunty so you follow stock news.. she told me.. yeah i do.."Infaaaltion" and "reeecession" in America aishu, dunt you know?
    I wondered...so if this lady of 50 watched the NDTV profit...will the prices drop?? well, i appreciate her effort though!
    hmm..
    Kool...so everyone is bit by the inflation bug and has caught the Sensex fever...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sri,

A great blog..

As i read this, I remembered a incident at home a few days back.. I watch the ndtv profit and finance news, share market. DS was also watching along with me..to the extent he will tell me your bse is down and up.

Our FM was saying, our economy is strong, and backed it with few figures..the next day also sensex fell, and he came back saying our economy is strong,please don't look at the sensex it is a index...

immediately DS said "Indian economy is the best economy, Indian economy is the best economy" i asked him why is he going on repeating...he said may be Our FM is also practising like vijay in the movie GILLI. Drowning

Inflation and recession are the flavour of the season..everybody, from the autowala, the vegetable vendor, the maid, the muncipality people who come to ask for "something" want more because of I & R.

Even beggars don't want rs.1.00. they want at least 5rs..they say that they don't get a cup of tea for 1.00....

I remember my grandmom saying her marriage took place for a cost of Rs.5 those days and provisions when i was a 4 year old was Rs.30...and now 30 i don't even get a kilo of good rice..:spin

I always joke, a sneeze in US vibrates and is felt in the BSE sensex.....

I cannot seriously say anything wrong about economists..or somebody at home will come at me with a bonkbonk.

5. Cheeniya

My dear Mol
    More than your prompt FB, your ability to look at the American economy and its worldwide implications as seriously as I do makes me happy indeed!:)
    I think that your economic sense is a direct result of consuming all those dead tomatoes supplied by your 'humrikanised' bhajjiwala!

I dread to imagine the cherubic faces putting on a careworn look. It can be as nerve wrecking an experience as seeing Mamta Banerjee in faded jeans! But then the stout-hearted that we are, we can survive this and more! I have a close Doctor friend who gets worried sick when there are too many patients around because that increases the possibility of more hypochondriacs waiting to tell him all about their imaginary diseases!

I can understand why your friend has stopped hunting for a bride in these days of recession. It is probably due to a perceived apprehension that recession affects the heart's capacity to feel love!

A lot of people expect Obama, the magician, to cause the dollar rub shoulders with the Euro. But wherever the dollar lands, our mindset of calculating the salaries received in US in terms of Indian rupees and feeling very satisfied about our status will continue!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Aishu
    My mum always says that the maid who keeps asking for a rise is the one to keep at any cost. According to her, the people who ask for a rise will be clean and honest and we may not have to worry about any pilfering by them.Maids who meet the pressures of inflation by pestering us for a rise are any day preferable to maids who meet the inflation through their nimble fingers!

I understand that the TV stars led by Devayani are planning a hunger strike against NDTV Profit and the like protesting against their day long telecasts of the depression sweeping across the globe. They contend that these channels must refrain from telecasting news about the American recession and stock market collapses when their serials are on air!

Idhu eppidi irukku?:)
    Sri

7. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    That was a superb one!!! Hunger strike by not only Devayani but the whole soap fraternity..haa haa...You bet :)

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I TOO AGREE WITH YOUR LAST LINES...
    I prefer learning all about inflation in this way rather than from the scholarly articles of eminent economists. Because they never know what they are talking about and to make it worse, they make it appear as though it is our fault![/quote]

it makes life more interesting and "enters" the head rather than a serious lecture...yes it is widely agreed that if the US sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold but loved the comparison to one of my fav song(tirrupuramkundrathil nee siricha muruga...)

i must say the rat population of triplicane has high class tastes...:)

loved your choice of the "in " topic and of course the humour..
    regards
    Mindi

9. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    Just as I was typing my reply to you a couple of days back, I lost my internet connectivity and got it back only an hour back!

All our politicians, not excluding the Harvard product P Chidambaram, are like Adolf Hitler's propaganda man Joseph Goebbels. Their job is made easier by the fact that a majority of our voting politician is illiterate. They will say that the inflation has finally been harnessed and brought under control at a time when even window shopping will cost us money. Many families now feed on only the proverbial 'ettu suraikkai'!

I totally agree with the beggars' reluctance to accept Re1/- and the only way to tackle this problem is to give that Re.1/- with a list of things that can be bought with it. If we can make that list, it will help the beggars but if we can't think of anything to put in that list, we would be compelled to increase it to Rs2 or more. Either way, the beggar will benefit!

An in-house economist is a great thing indeed. Being non-committal and evasive, they are not likely to complain even if things went against their liking! Like the guy when he was asked if the French Revolution caused an economic depression in the 18th Century, he replied that it was too early to comment!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Mindi
    It is interesting to observe how inflation affects everyone though differently according to his status. While the people in Triplicane may complain how the catching of rats with a Masal Vada has become awfully unaffordable which in turn has given them, the rats, a fresh lease of life, in another society the abnormal increase in the prices of perfumes might be forcing the people doing something that they hate most viz. taking bath daily.

By the way, do you know that 'Tirupparamkundrathi nee sirithal' was the only song in Kandan Karunai set to music by the late Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan, the rest being by KV Mahadevan?
    Sri