1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inferiority Complex

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Mar 4, 2016.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

From childhood I have Inferiority Complex, though I got over it many times but still sometimes I feel I am good for nothing

I might not be the prettiest, smartest , strongest, but atleast I am me and dont pretend to be someone that I am not meant to be

During childhood we were not well off so I used to feel inferior compared to others. In our times our parents were not much educated, so they did not have hi fi jobs and had to struggle a lot for bringing up the children and those days everyone used to have a big family.Now we feel we are living in comfort but our parents could not enjoy what we are enjoying now. Atleast my mother could enjoy the comforts as we were better off. In school on week days we used to wear uniform , on Saturdays coloured dress, we did not have much dresses .

When we grew up we were better than earlier. My aunty and uncle used to come and stay with us and aunty used to bring sarees for us. That time I used to think after I start working should buy many sarees and should wear different sarees for 30 days. My sister and myself used to share the sarees. My sister was very simple and never had any expectations in life, she was spiritual from childhood , so she got the best of everything. Now after retirement I have cupboard full for sarees but not much occasion to used them. Whenever I get a chance I used the best sarees. I want to be the best always in everything.

She got married and her husband who worked in Air India and that time only she got opportunity to go to HOngkong and Kuwait. I used to think will I get a chance togo by flight. I got that opportunity only in 2007 when I was 63 years old. In my life everything was late only, got married late, children came late, no doubt I got the best

I never knew I will get married to a family where everyone will be experts in cooking. I used to feel inferior in front of them. Even gents used to be expert in cooking. For any function they never used to keep a cook and manage by themselves.

Now also when we went for my husband's grandson's engagement they managed themselves .Thats why I feel I should have been a Graduate then I would have had more knowledge. Experience also teaches us but education is also necessary. Glad that because of one aunty I studied in Rosary Convent. So my English is not so bad.

Here also in IL when I read the articles of great writers I feel when i will become a great writer. Some posts sometimes I cant understand and after reading the feedbacks only I understand.

7 secrets of success….
    I found the answers in my room.
    1. Roof said: Aim high
    2. Fan said: Be cool
    3. Clock said: Every min. is precious
    4. Mirror said: Reflect before you act
    5. Window said: See the world
    6. Calendar said: Be up-to-date
    7. Door said: Push hard to achieve ur goals

Attached Files:

2. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Lovely hearfelt narration Iyerviji
    Inferiority complex or not , you have a superior way of looking at life and enjoying it. That is what counts.
    Keep up with your delightful posts.

2 people like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Shobhamma for making me happy with your first feedback and appreciation about my thread which made my day. Thanks for your inspiration and encouragement

1 person likes this.
  4. Miracle1000

Miracle1000 Platinum IL'ite

@iyerviji :

Hi Auntie... you are so pretty even when you are 63+. Am just 28 and dreading nearing 30 thinking will my face get wrinkles blah blah.. and I started getting few grey hairs which sometimes gives me sleepless nights. :) We are meant to be whoever we are. If it is not God would have xeroxed his best human specimen easily and would not have put this much efforts in creating individuals.

We never should compare ourself with others. We have nothing to feel shame about or feel inferior. There is always one better doing than other in aspects of money, beauty, education. You have got a good life. Even everything happened late still it happened. There are people who does not get things in life at all. Not married, no kids, no money..

My mom use to say during my childhood, I use to tell her she got that Chapal, that costly dress whatever.. my mom will say "kaaluku seruppu illanu soldra.. kaalae illama evlo per irukanganu nenachu paaru"... she never compares me or my bro with anyone for anything.. so I grew up with a healthy mind even though I was surrounded by better people than me.

I studied engineering.. worked in a mnc for 4 years.. now I forgot what they taught in engineering.. what I learned in software industry.. just sitting at home learning different recipes only.. your English is better than mine.. really..

Actually am ranting now.. you are good. Better.. best.. don't ever think low of yourself.. console1

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Oh.. Amma!

If you are feeling inferior, then what about us?

You are probably older than my mom. But you seem to be so up-to-date with the recent gadgets, and knowledge.
    You are such a fulfilled person with so much of love filled in your heart.
    In fact, I am inferior before you. I don't know whether I will become this "cool" when I reach your age.
    Stay positive. Good day!

4 people like this.
  6. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Hi viji aunty...

you finished up the write up very well.. Being a graduate i never knew these things what u r sharing... you are a great inspiration for many of us.. keep writing.

2 people like this.
  7. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Viji Ma,

You may not be graduate,but you have more knowledge than me who is a graduate.You are still learning and staying positive.

Your energy and positive attitude is remarkable.

Yes But I do agree that we tend to compare with others and will try to have them.

Keep sharing your views and hobbies so that we can learn from them.

Continue your positivism and Take Care.

2 people like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Viji
    I should say you are lucky to suffer from inferiority complex. When I was young, I had tremendous superiority complex and always considered myself as God's Gift to Mankind! I studied in a Tamil medium school and only when I reached the 6th Standard (which was called First Forum in those days) I was taught the English alphabets! It took me considerable time to know the nuances of First, Second and Third persons. I took a lot of time to learn when 'am' will come and when 'is' can be used! When I was making horrible mistakes in spoken English, other students thought I was making fun of them thanks to my 'superiority complex'

People were reluctant to move closely with me and even my English teacher side-lined me probably thinking that I knew everything. Students who suffered from inferiority complex were given special attention by my teachers and very soon they were able to speak better English than me! I slowly realised that that my superiority complex was alienating me from the rest and I was virtually becoming an out-caste! I had difficulty in shedding my superiority complex and when I did, the whole world suddenly warmed up to me and opened their arms to me. I then realised that superiority complex was equated with arrogance!

I am now a role model of inferiority complex and I have a lot more friends now than in my arrogant days of superiority complex. Inferiority complex makes people come running to you with all kinds of props so that you are brought up to their levels!
    Sri

5 people like this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Wow. I am very very happy to receive your feedback. Will come back later with my reply after replying to others

10. uma1966

uma1966 Platinum IL'ite

ma very good snippet. I am also having inferiority complex eventhough i am a graduate , i could not express my views in English. I wish to improve my language. U are the role model of mine...

2 people like this.