1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Infant Hair Cut Salon In Edison

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by Anu3sree, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Anu3sree

Anu3sree New IL'ite

Hello all,
    Please could anyone suggest me a good hair salon for my 1 year old in Edison NJ. We are planning to get our kid's first hair cut next week and hopefully with a full head shave. We are new to Edison and haven't got any friends here to help us out on this. I don't want to sound dumb, i have googled and found a couple of them with mixed reviews and I'm not satisfied. I need your suggestions to find a good one based on your experiences as its our baby's first full head shave.
    Really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. sraviihere

sraviihere New IL'ite

Hi Anu,

I am in the same boat. Were you able to find any good salon who does complete head shave?

3. Anu3sree

Anu3sree New IL'ite

Hi Sravi,
    We got it done at the "Hilltop Barber Shop" on Oak tree road, Iselin. We ended up here after roaming wildly and felt safe it being a desi shop they are aware of the "mundan" for babies. They have offered us both blade and trimmer service for the full head shave but we went with the trimmer as our baby is fussy and wriggles a lot. It came out very neatly and as close as possible. I held my kid in my lap throught out and at the end we were happy that our baby didn't cry. We have collected the hair for religious purpose.

sraviihere likes this.
  4. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

we did at kids kutz at woodbridge mall-trimmer shave.

sraviihere likes this.
  5. sraviihere

sraviihere New IL'ite

Thanks Anu for the quick and detailed reply.

My baby is 9 months old and we are planning to offer first hair to Lord Venkatestwara at Bridge Water Temple. Did you also do pooja in the temple?

6. sraviihere

sraviihere New IL'ite

Hi JGVR,
    Thanks for your input. How was the trimmer shave outcome ? Is it close to shaving with blade like in India?

7. Anu3sree

Anu3sree New IL'ite

Sravi,
    Yes, we have performed the pooja at the same temple in a community hall. Luckily we took some extra betle leaves, flowers, coins, naivedhyam, a cloth (used as a mandapam for the deity) which all came in handy for the pooja. At the end we made 5 cuts(our inlaws custom) and collected it as we were going to offer it at a temple in India, later. If i remember it correctly, we were told that the hair can't be offered at Bridgewater.

8. sraviihere

sraviihere New IL'ite

Did they allow you to offer bath for the baby and visit again once the hair is cut at the barber shop?

9. Anu3sree

Anu3sree New IL'ite

I'm not sure if the temple offers bathing services, sorry if i didn't understand your question right. After the hair cut we went home and bathed and fed our kid and visited the temple as usual later in the evening.

10. sraviihere

sraviihere New IL'ite

Oh ok. We are in Philadelphia . So we can't come back at a later time to visit the temple. You details are very helpful Anu. Thanks so much.