1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

infant Eczema!!help needed

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vidhukumar, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Re: infant Eczema!!

Hi Ladies,
    My post to this thread is quite late...but I just want share this... that my daughter too ( 2-1/2yrs. old) also has eczema.
    When she was infant...it was very worse! Now ...it's becoming less but not completely cure!
    She has dry skin...so, no soaps or maavu (s). I apply olive oil liberally. Avoid food stuff that aggravate rashes ( like peanuts, cheese etc.)
    And use Hydrocortisone 1% cream sparingly!
    As punitha & other's mentioned..it will diminish if not vanish completely!
    Many Doctors have said that Eczema is related to Asthma...pls. check.

2. Anamika29

Anamika29 New IL'ite

This is a very late reply but it might be of use. My son has a very serious issue wiyh eczema. It was not a ome or two times thing... I also had that problem in my skin till 10!! In babies it is in more parts of the body and in older children in reduced areas.
    so here is what i've learned after all these years:
    - cotton clothes are the best
    - no soap
    - no oil (it is dif to understand but it is true; the skin needs moist but the oil it is too hot and dificult to go inside the skin and we want to scrach)
    - no hot water
    - Aveeno/ Aderma and everything with oat everyday
    - almond soap, olive soap or Aveeno or Aderma soap
    - hidrocortisone when the eczema is realy out of control because it is addicting and so, after a few times when we stop the eczema starts again
    - do not stop the hisdrocortizone at once; start mixing with other cream and reduce gradually
    - other creams to substitute hidrocortizone: everything that has oxid zinc is very good but the best is one called DERMALIBOUR of Aderma
    - From URIAGE we have CuZn (also with zinc) that is also very good
    - check the detergent you use to wash clothes: liquid is better because it goes away completely

regards

3. ranrags

ranrags New IL'ite

Hello just share my experience regarding eczema..Our daughter is 15months now..her eczema started when she was around two months old..at first we thought our baby is pink..but later did we realise that they were rash..we tried many medicated creams and lotions..starting from hydrocortisone..eucerin ointment..aquaphor from eucerin..another doctor prescribed medicated lotion..and others..but what ever we used to apply the skin condition used to remain the same..we used to give her head bath everyday..with massging her body real good with the combination of extra virgin olive oil and johnson baby oil..we stopped using other johnson products except for baby oil..these r the things that we did..and could control eczema..

-->Keep the house dust free
    -->Use 100%cotton clothes on your baby's skin
    -->We started using Aveeno Baby Moisturising Cream(the one with navy blue cap..fragrance free) and the same body wash..(remember..just stick to one cream without changing them regularly..by doing this u'll know which cream is working better)
    -->Apply cream as liberally as possible for every diaper change..every one hour
    -->Change baby's clothes thrice..before bed time is a must
    -->Usually eczema is more in ankles..behind ears..cheeks..behind knees..baby's thigh creases..neck..elbow area..so just pat dry those areas after bath..do not rub any cloth to dry the baby..use baby powder with cornstarch when the baby is itching in the neck
    -->Look for flakes on baby's head..if u find any whitish flakes inform the doctor immediately and use the recommended shampoo

We followed all these very promptly..wherever we used to go..we used to carry aveeno baby cream and apply it to the baby as often as possible..by doing this my daughter got so much of relief and now I apply cream only once after bath..hopefully those whose kids are having eczema..r relieved:)

anothermom likes this.
  4. Mohanawalambe

Mohanawalambe New IL'ite

HI,
    I too would be careful of the hydrocortisone, Raad about transfer factor it helps to increase your immunity it is asafe natural product and will help your baby to inc the immunity. and the body will heal itself. better to use cocco butter or shea butter which are natural products tahn even eucrene.
    My daughter still has the problem and she discovered something in chicago Will write to yu about that cream next week simple one available in walgreen or so.
    Mohana

my 5 month old son has been having eczema for quite sometime now.....its been coming&going....the doctors say that it is due to the dry climate&also due to using heater in room ....i have a humidifier in our bedroom where he sleeps&also i have started avoiding heater...the doc has prescribed 1%Hydrocortisone cream to apply when it flares up&rest of the time Eucerine cream.....i read online that hydrocortisone is a steriod&not good for infants,i am very much worried....i have used it only sparingly&mostly apply only Eucerine....pls share your experiences all experienced ladies...i want to treat this at the root.....pls suggest some safe methods or home remedies...[/quote]

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Well,I am reviving this topic now since my baby seems to be having skin rashes for the past one week and the doctor says it is Eczema.When I read about Eczema,it says it usually starts on the cheeks,chin,elbows,joints etc.But in his case,it started in the abdomen area and now it is all over the front,legs and hands,except diaper area and back.I don't think it is itchy for him too.My doubt is-is this Eczema or prickly heat? Doctor has asked to apply vaseline,Eucerin moisturising creme and wash with Dove soap. If it is prickly heat,won't application of creme worsen the same?

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Well,I am still waiting for responses.Now,he still has this eczema and I can make out that it is itchy too.I keep applying Eucerin almost 4-5 times a day.Wash with dove soap daily.He has tough skin on his legs close to the ankles because of constant rubbing on the sheets and so the skin is cracking too.Dr. said to apply Hydrocortisone 1% for a week now.His scalp too has flakes and is itchy.Sometimes,with too much scratching on scalp,a sticking liquid like comes which has a peculiar smell too.Dr. says to wash everyday with shampoo.I am so frustrated with this type of treatment that shows no results.Witsend

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Sorry to hear about the eczema, Sunitha, but I don't have any help for you... just (((hugs))). I can only imagine how much it must be bothering that poor baby and you.

Maybe some info on this link is helpful for you to decide if it really is eczema.... Eczema - BabyCenter

Raj

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Raj,now atleast I know it is Eczema.

What I am more bothered about now is the scalp and the leg.After the shampoo bath,the scalp remains clear till the evening.Then after my baby sleeps in the night and gets up in the morning,the dandruff like crusty,honey coloured flakes re-appear and they itch throughout the night.I read about cradle cap too,but I heard that cradle cap does not itch.So,this must be Eczema on the scalp too.Now,I apply olive oil on his scalp before bath for about 5 minutes,then apply shampoo,use a soft brush to remove the flakes and then wash.After the bath,after drying his hair(which anyway is scanty!)I apply coconut oil lightly.That seems to be giving him some relief from the re-appearance of flakes.The doctor also suggested olive oil or coconut oil.

Since he keeps rubbing his legs against the sheets,I have started applying the creme and making him wear his socks.That is helping a bit.He is otherwise a very cheerful and active baby and does not trouble me at all,even during the nights.He wakes up twice for feeding in the nights(from when he was born) and almost immediately goes back to sleep without me having to put him to sleep.Sometimes,he plays all by himself after the feed and after 10-15 minutes,goes to sleep.This is when I feel God is being so cruel to him ,my poor little fellow who doesn't trouble anyone!:kiss

I contacted an Ayurvedic doctor in Kerala who suggested to use Coconut oil in which Hibiscus flowers have been boiled.It seems that is the treatment for Eczema.I am yet to get that oil.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

You're welcome, Sunitha. I wonder where you can get hibiscus flowers here?! YOu can check out Lowe's or any garden center and get a pot of hibiscus plant. They don't look like the ones in India but should be the same. Just an idea....

Hope your baby feels okay. No matter what it is, we feel awful when the baby is sick.

Raj

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Hi Raj

Know what,I took my baby to a dermatologist last week and the sticky discharge on the scalp and legs along with dandruff like flakes on the scalp and thick skin on the leg was diagonised as staph infection(a kind of bacterial infection). Can you believe that? I give him head bath everyday and he is probably the most clean person in the whole house,but he has this infection. The dermatologist prescribed an ointment and after using it for 5 days now,the scalp has returned to its normal state and the leg is much better. :bowdown