1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Induction stove - Is it an alternate to Microwave?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by manjukps, Sep 18, 2011.

1. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILs,

My microwave (Kenstar) is more than 7 years and so far I didn't have any problem. But last month the part which emits microwave was not functioning and gave it for repairing in spite of my husband telling me to exchange it for new one or to go for induction stove. Actually I was using microwave mainly for re-heating, rarely for cooking. I got it repaired spending Rs.1700 and now it is again giving problem of switching of almost every 2 seconds of working which is irritating. Anyway talked to the guy and he promised to give me back the money by taking the part.(God knows if I am going to get it back)

Now considering to buy induction stove, which everybody says we can cook too quickly. That will be very useful for me as I have to prepare breakfast and lunch before 6.45 AM.

My question is whether to go for induction stove instead of microwave or it has to be an addition. Whether this will substitute microwave and also will it be an occasional alternative to the gas stove? Already I have 4 burner gas stove. (In chennai you might have heard that there is going to be restriction of cylinder supply. i.e. only 4 cylinders per year for subsidized value).

Also the microwave repair guy told me that any induction stove will work only for maximum of 100 hours. Then we have to buy a new one. so suggested to go for microwave. Is that true?

Hoping to get your suggestions before I decide on the purchase. Which brand is value for money. Shall I go for basic model or what additional features to expect? We are pure vegetarians.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    A good question. I too thought that the induction will be an alternative to the microwave, but NO. I have an lg combi model MW for the past 10 years and it has not given any trouble so far. I use it more than my gas stove. I cook even puli kaichal in that, it is not al all messy.
    Recently my husband got me an induction stove (he had been pestiering me to buy one for a long time now, so yielded to the pressure). I got a set of 3 vessles for that free along with it- Prestige and the model is the most recent one. But I find that I cannot leave while the milk is boiling, it gets boiled over. Microwave does not need supervision at all. But you can us the induction for making dosa etc. It gets heated quickly. But it does need special vessels, anything will not do. But you get non stick vessels which can be used both on gas stove and induction. So I use it as an alternative for gas stove.
    Go ahead and buy a microwave with convection model so that you can bake cakes, biscuits, breads and also make exotic dishes. Model is your choice, I use LG, I heard that Samsung has good service.

3. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

If you are using microwave only for reheating and not for baking, then opt for a solo microwave. It costs less and you can do all the regular stuff like boiliing milk, cooking rice, idlies, etc.

Induction stove can be treated as adding one more burner. For the morning rush, if you feel you require one more burner, then induction stove will come in handy. As you already have a 4-burner stove, i dont know how much value add will it be to you. I purchased the induction stove when i goofed up and forgot to order the refill cylinder. But continued using it as it is very quick for small works like boiling milk/water, stir fires and so on.

This is not true. My induction stove has clocked well over 100 hrs. It depends on the proper usage and mainteance.

4. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your detailed feedback Varloo and orion.

Went through threads in spotless kitchen also. My husband is telling me to get induction stove for long time, I may decide on that. Only I have to decide whether I have to replace MW with another (may be if I'm able to get back the money) Though I have big kitchen I'm not happy with filling up the worktop.

Regards
    Manjukps

5. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

I would suggest, go for another microwave. As i suggested, if you want to keep the cost low, opt for a solo one.

Unless you are into baking and grilling, convection with grill is not of much use.

6. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Orion. I will be postponing the decision till this month end as we are vacationing. After coming back or right after navarathri will get it.

For me too going for a solo microwave sounds good as already I have 4 burners

Regards
    Manjukps

7. annjoby

annjoby New IL'ite

hello,

was reading the post on induction cooker.
    I have used theinduction cooker for a short while when we were on rent in mysore. Though it gets heated up fast, i did not feel it very useful as all vessels cud not be used on it.

Regarding the oven, i think it is best u go for a solo one. Mine is a samsung convection mode. 2 yrs old. no complaints. i use it for reheating, making thorans, cakes and biscuits. find it very conveninent.

Ann.

8. Shyamala Krishnan

Shyamala Krishnan New IL'ite

Hi,
    Here is a simple comparison of Induction and Microwave stoves.

Both Microwave and Induction Cooker are flameless cooking devices with certain advantages over conventional gas flame and electric cookers. They provide rapid heating and improved thermal efficiency.

In induction cooker heat is generated directly inside the cooking vessel. Magnetic field is produced by the current in the coil and heating of the food takes place.
    Heat in a Microwave is accomplished by using microwave radiation to heat food molecules within the food.

To be used on an induction cooker, a cooking vessel must be made of a ferromagnetic metal like steel. Aluminum or glass vessels are inefficient.
    In a Microwave Glass and plastics are effective while metals are unsafe.

Being flameless ovens, both are more safe to handle than conventional stoves and also power efficient.

As for health hazard both kinds of waves are safe to work with. Popular beliefs of Microwave cooked food being carcinogenic are ill founded.
    Several studies have shown that if properly used, microwave cooking does not change the nutrient content of foods any more than conventional heating. In fact there is a tendency towards greater retention of many micronutrients with microwaving and induction cooking.

However, persons with implanted cardiac pacemakers or other electronic medical implants should avoid proximity to induction cookers as they emit magnetic fields.

Shyamala

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  9. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ann,

thanks for your feed back. going for a solo one soon.

Manjukps

10. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shyamala,

Thanks for your detailed feedback. Will keep you informed what I am buying.

Manjukps