1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

indoor vegetebales

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Tulasi, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: Spinach also

Hi mals,

Yes you can grow. just take good quality methi..prepare the soil. sprinkle as you do for coriander...

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

So happy that things are getting easier for me..........

3. kavithai

kavithai New IL'ite

HI,
    Thank u verymuch shanthi.my plants are almost 3-5 inches.so i'm ready to use.

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Very interesting thread..I am here a bit late..

Prasanna, hope yr idea will work out for me as tried a few times planting pudina, but failed. Will try and let you know. I never know that pudina will survive even in winter incl. snow, is that so? Pls confirm...

Have a big tomato plants, but, none of them turns into red. Instead, stays as a big green tomato!! Need yr suggestion or some tomato plants are like that?? Other than that, the growth is really amazing.

TIA.

5. lakshmi07

lakshmi07 New IL'ite

Hi Tulsi
    You should plant the curry seedling in a good potting soil. If the plant is small and does not have enough roots, it will take more time. After planting give a very dilute drink with rooting hormone ( you can get it in HD or lowes like Take root) to prevent the plant from root shock and to develop roots. Sometimes, the leaves will fall off due to the root shock. Keep the plant in shade till you see some good growth on the top. Do not over water but keep it moist.
    Curry leaf grows very slow. You should not remove any leaf for the first 2 years and should not allow the plant to flower during that time.

Once your plant grows one foot tall, pinch off the top. It will give more side shoots and gives a bushy appearance on the top. Feed with blood meal and bone meal to the established plants once in 6 months.

I grew two plants for so many years and gave it away after an elderly person told me that I should not grow curry leaf at home. But I don't miss them.

Lakshmi07

6. lakshmi07

lakshmi07 New IL'ite

Hi Aishu,

You can grow curry leaf in medium size pot depending upon the size of the plant.

For chrysanthemum, you can grow in pots. If it is hardy one, you can leave it outside for the winter in a protected place and mulch well.
    Hope this helps.
    Lakshmi07

7. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I grew two plants for so many years and gave it away after an elderly person told me that I should not grow curry leaf at home. But I don't miss them.

Lakshmi07

Hi Lakshmi,

I never heard about this. We generally grow curry leaves in our houses in South India. Generally people will say not to keep 'banana'tree in the house. That too not in the front of the house you can keep it in your back yard. But about curry leaf I am hearing it first time.

One small plant we call it in Tamil 'perandai' that we are not suppose to have in the house.:-D

8. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Lakshmi,
    Thank you for the tips. actually this was almost two years back I posted the query
    now I have 3 plants, one bigger two little came from the big plant. even I am curious to know why we cannot keep the curry plant inside the house..
    Tulasi

9. lakshmi07

lakshmi07 New IL'ite

Hi Krishnaamma and Tulasi

I also don't know why we should not keep curry leaf plant at home. I think it is of sentimental value in the family or something. I have heard this from my dad's aunt too. I have heard her telling my mom not grow curry plant and banana at home it is not good for the family. I did not remember all these until my dad's cousin's wife told me when I visited her in India. She asked me that someone told her that curry leaves are very expensive in the US. I told her that I have two plants growing in my house. At that time she told me that we should not grow in the house and it should be only in fields. So I gave away my plants.

10. rumya

rumya New IL'ite

/

Can you give me tip to grow Kankambra? I love them.Do you grow in pots or outdoor? Any fertilizer? And also I never grown ridge guard or bottle guards. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.