1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Indoor plants

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by arch, Mar 11, 2010.

1. arch

arch Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Posting after a long gap. After searching a lot through google, i feel it is better to post in IL. if at all replies are there, they would be apt ones atleast!

So I am planning to introduce some fresh flowers/indoor plants/balcony garden etc to my home. I did start with sunflower seeds and tulsi plant in balcony. But their growth rate demotivates me! Moreover, among the 10 or 11 sunflower seeds i sowed in pots, only 1 has lived through. (one or two days i forgot to water! :( )
    I am now in search of easy-maintanence and easy-growing, fast-flowering plants. Which are the best in bangalore?? how to grow them.. any tips??

After seeing lots of flower arrangements in vases and containers and tips in magazines, I really feel like bringing in some flowers or greenery to my dull rooms. But I thought the fresh flowers you get in form of bouquet are priced at above 100-200. So do we get there any inexpensive flowers/single flowers at cheaper price???
    Similarly i have seen small ivy plants or similar indoor plants used as home decor? Do we get them from stores too? nursery or florist shops? Any extra care for them??

Please help. I really feel my home is dull-looking... :|

Similar Threads
    1. chandrakiran
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Srama
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. meghna.rj
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Arch

for Indoor plants try the decorative leaves one, Cactus, money plant, lucky bamboo etc..
    [​IMG]

you can make a mix of diff. small plants and arrange in a bowl like this

[​IMG]

For Balcony how about roses and some chrysanthemums..you have to select the plants in such a way that they bloom all year long..roses need less water however once you plant them just put some new soil and some kitchen waste they would grow tremendously....

You can try diff. varieities of roses and make it like a rose balcony :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  3. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi arch:

Before you introduce plants in the balcony, it is good to know if your balcony is sunny or partially shaded? Most flowering plants require few hours of direct sunlight. So also tulsi and other herbs. While ornamental plants like spider plant, money plant, palms, philodendrons, peace lily plant and the likes can thrive in shade.

You can get few stems of flowers and arrange them in a vase alongwith some filler stems like babytufts, candyfloss, long leaves, dry grass, etc. If you are keen on flower arranging and you want to learn - Lalbagh horticultural society conducts Ikebana classes regularly.

Ivy plants will be available in nurseries (again you can try Lalbagh nursery if it is close by.

Hope this helps.

Here are photographs of peace lily, spider plant next to it, monstera below and money plant-the last.

Sindhu

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010