1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Indoor plants

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by chandrakiran, Oct 6, 2015.

1. chandrakiran

chandrakiran Silver IL'ite

I would like to place few plants inside the home, in the main hall and in the master bedroom.
    However, considering low light / artificial light conditions at home, which plants thrive well indoors? what precautions to be taken to ensure plant grows well, and is not affected by insects/pests. how often to water and should they need sunlight exposure periodically. if yes, how often?

I live in an apartment in chennai and it is not easy to take plants outdoors. Balcony also doesn't receive sunlight for several months in the year as its a high rise building, and I live in the lower floors.

Please suggest.
    thanks
    -Chandra

Similar Threads
    1. Srama
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. meghna.rj
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. vidyapraveen
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Counseling

Counseling Bronze IL'ite

Mani plant is the best. It grows easily with out much maintenance.

1 person likes this.
  3. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Bamboo can be kept..it needs little light otherwise the leaves starts to turn yellow..

1 person likes this.
  4. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

but avoid indoor plants. they help mosquitoes to grow as we need to water them and are moist.
    still if u feel then there are certain type of american roses which needs very light sunrays. u have to keep them in sun just for few mins in a week. also money plant are good.

1 person likes this.
  5. chandrakiran

Money plant ideally can be in the balcony as it needs light and will grow towards direction of light. how about the small palm plant that i see in many office spaces? can that be grown indoors?

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@chandra i hope you have a big moving space where you can have plants inside the house..

when choosing plants for the indoors do it for dual benefits..both aesthetic and also for health benefits.

ficus, and song of india plant both are good and help in keeping the air pure. same is the case with money plant..I love the golden color that gives a different look in artificial light..

the rubber tree in a big brass pot..is in my bucket list.. they are good air purifiers too and look great..though a little costly.

bamboos too..in long vases..if you have small kids long glass vases are accident waiting to happen.

check out a decorative nursery shop to get an idea..like harith tharang in tnagar.
    Harith-Tharang, A Garden Shop

ferns in hanging pots are another options..

7. chandrakiran

@Shanvy, I don't have a lot of space inside, so I plan just one plant or maybe two, no more than that..
    Thanks for your suggestions.

8. mayuras

mayuras Bronze IL'ite

hi chandrakiran

You can keep Agalonema, which thrives very well indoors. if you keep two varieties of Agalonema you can rotate them. one week one plant next week you can keep the first plant in semi shaded place and bring the second plant inside the room. but remember to keep them in semi shade because alternately exposing them to harsh light and shade will not bring good results. It should be indoors - semishade - indoors for both the plants.