1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Indoor Plants

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by alivelu, Sep 22, 2007.

1. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

Thanks a lot for your inputs, appreciate it!!

I'd like to start off with a plant in the living room...guess it should be of a good height, right??
    Have been busy lately so haven't been able to make it to the nursery yet. Will keep u posted when i buy one.

Thanks,
    Ragini

2. raginiprakash

Blondie, thanks a lot for your tips with the decorative containers!!

Yeah.....i've seen some fancy ones too online. Must say you have a lovely garden at home. Does maintaining it take a sizeable amount of your time everyday??

Ragini.

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Blondie
    Loved the pictur eof cookie jar and plant. really you have put the jar to excellent use and also a source of remembering eating cookies?? lol
    I too have a couple which i can convert never thought of this idea before
    Ragini
    where in the living room do you want to place plant? like on coffee table or corner table or corner etc. that helps.

4. asharao

asharao Senior IL'ite

Hi! Blondie,

I think it's such a cute idea.

Regards,

Asha

5. asharao

asharao Senior IL'ite

Hi! Chitra,

Thanks for your mail.But unfortunately there is nobody here to actually tell which plant to should be put where and how.I guess I'll have to experiment on my own.Unfortunately I don't like to see the plants wither away.

Regards,

Asha

6. Anandchitra

Dear ASha
    glad to heaR from you. I did not send any mail so i think youre referring to my reply post here. Did you visit any nursery in your area? most plants come with instructions which also tell growing habits etc. pl. let me know how this helps.

7. raginiprakash

Dear Chitra,
    I'm planning to place the plant in the corner of the living room & also thinking of placing one in the corner of the staircase. Would appreciate ur suggestions on the ht & type of plants suitable.

Also, would like to grow tulsi, pudina & methi plants. Can u pls tell me abt it's maintenance as in should it be kept outside, if so will it wither in winter, etc.
    Sorry to bother u with so many questions. Thanks for all ur help.

Ragini.

8. asharao

asharao Senior IL'ite

Hi! Anandchitra,

Unfortunately we don't get anything with instructions or anything like that.Even manure is made at home where leaves are buried in a pit and after sometime,they are used for the plants.Also for all the plants,we dont have any instructions etc.That's the reason for asking some tips to make my gardena little more beautiful.Its summer now and what do we do??

Regards,

Asha

9. Anandchitra

dear asha
    finally understanding . i can see i am slow big makku. anyway, no problem. the manure that you described is the best method and plants will thrive in it. so if you want indoor plants - look for fern varieties. they are green in color and have leaves that look like tiny needles and grow easy. or any small green plant will do for starters. for outside buy what are sold outside the shop. the important thing will be you should like the look. water when the soil is not moist. touch the soild and see if its moist your fingers will become soiled then dont water. this is rule of thumb for watering. esp. for indoor plants. prefereable place near window or someplace where it will get sunlight. but not to worry. get started and let me know.

10. asharao

asharao Senior IL'ite

Hi! Anandchitra,

Thanx a lot for your tips.These will certainly be useful.You see I've a big garden(see that in my avatar where you see my son and background is the garden).All I do is to water it regularly.I put manure once or twice a year esp just before the rainy season.Never attempted to have an indoor plants.After seeing all those beautiful plants in this thread,thought of having some inside the house.I'll certainly get back on once I start having indoor plants.Thanks once again.

Regards,

Asha:yes:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007