1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indo-pak us open final

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Sep 10, 2010.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

[​IMG]

INDO-PAK US OPEN FINAL

The unthinkable is happening in the US Open tennis. Not for me, but for millions of Indians who are obsessed with cricket and do not know any other game other than cricket.

Rohan Bopanna, an Indian and Aisam Qureshi, a Pakistani have reached the men’s doubles finals of the US Open.

When I said this, my office colleagues questioned “How could this be possible?” How can an Indian and Pakistani play together? I had great difficulty explaining to them that professional tennis does not necessarily involve playing for the nation. Top tennis players are hardcore professionals. They do not necessarily represent their country for the Olympics but make their country proud through their achievements.

Thank God, Rohan Bopanna is playing tennis, away from the prying eyes of the Hindu fundamentalists. I don’t know how the Pakistanis are going to view this US Open final from their perspective?

All things said; an Indian and Pakistani player playing together in doubles and entering a Grand Slam final will always be unique. You can never see a player from North Korea and South Korea playing together. Even among the Muslim nations, it is impossible to think of a player from Iran and Iraq playing together.

I recall an instance of tennis player Shahar Peer being banned from Dubai Championships because she is an Israeli.

The Indo-Pak player are certainly the underdogs as they will face the top-seeded Bryan brothers in the US Open finals.

It will be a pleasant feeling to see them win this final.

It will be a slap on the face of those who draw invisible lines across the world and divide people in the name of religion, community, creed and caste.

[​IMG]

2. ranisuresh

ranisuresh Senior IL'ite

Yes. you are right, it would definitely a slap on their face, who wants the divide & rule.. I wish them for a great success in finals..:thumbsup

3. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

thanks for your comments

:thumbsup

suresh