1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indigo Powder

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by pari_arun69, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Aabha

Aabha Silver IL'ite

Re: black hair

How to Dye Your Hair With Indigo

Indigo is a natural dye, the same used for dying blue jeans. It can make your hair blue-black, if you already have dark hair. Indigo is messy, but is safe. Most black hair dyes contain PPD, a dangerous chemical that can cause allergic reactions.

1. Cover everything in old towels or newspaper, and wear old clothes.
    2. Dye your hair with henna first for the best result. This helps give the indigo a base to stick to. You can mix indigo into henna to get shades of reddish-brown to auburn to brownish black.
    3. Get 100g of indigo for every six inches of hair. Curly hair will need more. 200g is usually enough for shoulder length hair.
    4. Mix the indigo in a plastic bowl with warm water.
    5. Wait 10-15 minutes, you will see the green powder start to turn a deep purple black on top. When it's black, it's ready.
    6. Get someone to help you apply the indigo, starting at the back. Cover your entire hair, and wrap it in saran wrap.
    7. Wipe off the drips that run down, or you'll have grey streaks on your face and neck. Laying on your back helps keep the indigo from dripping down.
    8. Rinse the indigo off with cool water after 45 minutes to an hour.
    9. Your indigo will be dark brown at first, and deepen to black over 2-4 days. Wait several days, and reapply if you see any missed spots, or if the indigo is not dark enough.

* Indigo has the consistency of wet sand. Adding an egg white or two will make it easier to work with.
    * This works best on dark hair, i.e. brunettes and redheads. Blondes may end up with greenish-blue hair. And not a pretty green-blue, but a swamp thing color.
    * You can try different amounts of henna and indigo, or mix in other botanicals to change the color. Just remember that while you only need to leave indigo on a short time, henna takes much longer. A henna mix should be left on at least 4 hours, and 8 is best.
    * Powdered indigo should NEVER be stored in the freezer, as this kills dye release in the plant. It is best to store it in a DRY, DARK place, and it will keep in its powder form for up to a year. An indigo mix cannot be stored, as it releases its dye quickly. Only mix as much as you need. Do not Freeze the remaining mix as you would henna; frozen indigo is useless.
    * Other plants that you can use on your hair include chamomile, rhubarb root, lemon juice, and cassia for blondes; henna, hibiscus, walnut powder and alma for redheads/brunettes.

Warnings

* Indigo is permanent. You have to wait for it to grow out.
    * Indigo will permanently stain clothes, carpets, pets, and furniture, so be careful.
    * Indigo may slightly dry your hair. Frequent indigo users should alternate between indigo and henna. Henna conditions your hair and won't lighten the black.

Things You'll Need

* Indigo powder
    * Old towels, clothes, and newspaper
    * 2 eggs
    * Mixing bowl and spoon, both non-metallic
    * Plastic Wrap
    * Warm water

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. ArminiusLazar

ArminiusLazar New IL'ite

I am currently transitioning and am 3 months in. I still have a ton of relaxed hair left. I have a dry scalp and I am looking to find ORGANIC hair products for natural and transitioning black hair.

3. oosha

oosha Bronze IL'ite

hi swasal,

Where did you find he indigo powder in Kuwaiit? local shop or any
    indian shop and what di you ask for????

I hope I get it in dubai??!!

4. vema

vema New IL'ite

hi could anybody tell where to get indigo in bay area or LA

thanks in advance

5. swasal

swasal Bronze IL'ite

Hi oosha, I checked in a few shops in Kuwait, but couldn't find it. I had been on vacation to Chennai. I bought it from there, the shops name is Econut at Besant Nagar.

6. vema

vema New IL'ite

Hi please colud anyboby suggest where to get indigo in usa

particularly in california

please can anyof u help me out

thanks

7. Aabha

Aabha Silver IL'ite

Hi Asha
    Is it also used for putting neel on white clothe after washing them
    or it is something else..

8. sinvid

sinvid Junior IL'ite

Aabha and Asha,
    It is not blue in color. Since it is plant leaves, it is green in color. At least thats what I think as mine is green in color. Just like Mehandi color. The basic substance used in the blue that is used for clothes might be the same indigo powder. But please do not use that indigo powder as it is totally chemical. I got my indigo from India and I am very satisfied with the results. There is a video on u tube about indigo and henna application. You can check that out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Shanti.

9. vema

vema New IL'ite

hi shanthi

can u please tell me which brand of indigo powder do u get in texas indian grocery stores

waiting for someone response regarding where to buy indigo powder
    in us.

thanks
    uma

10. sinvid

sinvid Junior IL'ite

Hi Vema,
    I could not get indigo powder in TX. I did not check all the shops yet. But most of the shops either do not carry or have not heard of the name. But this summer I visited India and got some from my place. Unfortunately, I got only very few quantity as the shop that was selling had very limited quantity. I will try to check up other stores and will let you know if I find any stores that sell it.

I know for people like us away from India, it is hard....I wish I can help you somehow. I will keep looking and will let you know.

Regards,
    Shanti.